• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

dufferin1

Reaction score
Sorry to quote this but HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
rotflmao.gif

+1231231 hahahah. Such a good laugh.

Olxter

Reaction score

It's funny how you block your head out since I'm guessing that your head is in your avatar

Haha :D Good catch. I used to have a different one and I think this one came from when I started to use Facebook to log in today :) ... The block's are there so you wouldn't be distracted from the suit :)

Edit: That's not me in the avatar anymore. Just letting everybody know to avoid confusion :)

Last edited:

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha
biggrin.gif
Good catch. I used to have a different one and I think this one came from when I started to use Facebook to log in today
smile.gif
... The block's are there so you wouldn't be distracted from the suit
smile.gif

Edit: That's not me in the avatar anymore. Just letting everybody know to avoid confusion
smile.gif

Haha, sorry I wasn't very helpful. I thought I'd leave it to the pros! People looking now will be quite confused with that new avi

espantalho

Reaction score
hello espan
your pictures dont show any detail on my screen.
look at the side views. see that hump just below the collar on the back.
that should be removed. go to the tutorials. find the title"that pesky roll below the collar".
that should help you understand.
Hello a tailor,

I also thought that hump was strange when I bought the suit, but the seller told me it was normal. I read the tutorial you suggested and took it to a tailor today to get the problem solved. Thank you for your help.

bnovc

Reaction score
I posted this before, but I put my pictures in a spoiler text, so I think no one noticed them, so trying one more time...

I bought a pair of tan/khaki chinos from Banana Republic, and I have a suit jacket that I would like input on. I don't intend to wear them together but easier to photos together.

Also, I believe this belt is too long. I was thinking that I would chop a couple inches off of it.

Brendon

Reaction score
Hi Thomas Paine
I am not fond of your idea of a good fit though I understand the fashion that influences this and as you pay you have the say. As my helpful contribution I think one of the coats I think is split at the back neck I think, there is a shadow at the centre seam on one of the coats though it is not clear, but could be split, have a look, easily fixed
Brendon

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
A recent bespoke commission.

I am pretty happy with the results, but the reverse pleats seem to open (third pic) when I am standing leading me to think the thigh is too tight and the waistband seems to not be symmetrical.
Any comments? Thanks.

Theo Moore

Reaction score
This is from Indochino, and I need a remake. Was hoping I can get some advice about the fit and in particular, guesstimates of how much I should change the various measurements by.

1. The shirt fits amazing. Bang on with the measurements, except for
    the wrist, which is much too small. I forgot to include the size of my
    watch. I'm going to request a remake for this reason, but I dunno
    whether they'll accept. Basically, it fits fine on the right wrist,
    but on the left, it probably needs about 1/4-1/2".
  2. Shoulders are dimpled. I think the shoulders are too large. What do
    you think? 1/2" each side? The padding is sticking out a bit.
  3. Jacket is too short. I think I need an extra 1.5"
    length on the jacket. That's half the distance from my wrist bone to
    my knuckles. You can see that when the jacket is buttoned up, it rides
    up; if I get the waist suppressed a tiny bit more, than it'll ride up
    even further. I think 1.5-2" inch extra length would work.
  4. Button stance would be better lower by 0.75-1".
  5. Pants are way, way too tight. This demands a remake. The waist is
    probably about 0.25-0.5" too tight, and the quads are maybe 0.75-1" each side?
    It does not look too bad from the front, but from the back, it's
    obvious. I would have trouble tying my shoelaces.

t82sg.jpg

Last edited:

Diefenbaker

Reaction score
Recently got the results from my first MTM. Measured in person in a place that does a large amount of MTM, from a US factory, full canvass. Now that I see a full 360, there are lots of issues. I'd love some help on both fit and style, and what should/can be corrected in this one and what should be adjusted for a second order, presuming it's worth pursuing. When it first came back, the waist was let out to relieve the opening of the vent, and the buttonholes cut. Then at the next fitting, a pad was added to the right shoulder to fix the buckling at the waist on the right side. This seems to have shortened the right sleeve.

I took pictures on two different days, to control for vagaries in stance. I have the shoulders for a 36 and a 32.5" waist, so I'm not sure how much waist suppression I can actually get with such a small drop. I was hoping for more shape up front, but it's clearly too small in the waist even after being let out once. Three specific observations on the trousers: They're pooling awkwardly in the front, but seem fine on the sides. There's an awkward bunch of fabric at the bottom of the fly, which I've never experienced before. The rightmost pleat is fully open, while the leftmost one is completely closed. I'll stop posting my observations, and leave it to the pros now. This was a lot of money for me, and I'm not sure if a remake is an option, but if necessary, I can try. Thanks so much!

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Hope you all could help me critique this jacket of mine.

What do you think needs altering?

[/quot

AH next time please button your shirt collar. only use the upper button on the front.
you have a right low shoulder some padding should help.
sleeves need shortening. hips could be let out .
the back could be shortened at the top. see the hump below the collar.
coat length is about an inch too long.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Recently got the results from my first MTM.  Measured in person in a place that does a large amount of MTM, from a US factory, full canvass.  Now that I see a full 360, there are lots of issues.  I'd love some help on both fit and style, and what should/can be corrected in this one and what should be adjusted for a second order, presuming it's worth pursuing.  When it first came back, the waist was let out to relieve the opening of the vent, and the buttonholes cut.  Then at the next fitting, a pad was added to the right shoulder to fix the buckling at the waist on the right side.  This seems to have shortened the right sleeve.  

I took pictures on two different days, to control for vagaries in stance.  I have the shoulders for a 36 and a 32.5" waist, so I'm not sure how much waist suppression I can actually get with such a small drop.  I was hoping for more shape up front, but it's clearly too small in the waist even after being let out once.  Three specific observations on the trousers: They're pooling awkwardly in the front, but seem fine on the sides.  There's an awkward bunch of fabric at the bottom of the fly, which I've never experienced before.  The rightmost pleat is fully open, while the leftmost one is completely closed.  I'll stop posting my observations, and leave it to the pros now.  This was a lot of money for me, and I'm not sure if a remake is an option, but if necessary, I can try.  Thanks so much!

first, thank you for buttoning the shirt collar, wish everyone would do that. [a hint to all.]
ok then the coat length imho is too long. an inch to an inch and a half.

the pad on the right shoulder raised the sleeve, thats why it became short.
the shoulder should have been cut for a right low.
that caused the break on the right waist. but the right hip should been let out also.
look at the first trouser pictures, front and back. it shows up easly.
the right hip is higher and larger. that always happens with a low shoulder.
thats also the cause of problem with the pleats.

bunching at the bottom of the fly usually means that the rise is too short.
unless the bunching is only on the right side, only that is.

to better understand. go to the tutorials and read the ones that apply to each of your problems.

you think you have problems. this tailor has a lot more. betcha he will hate me.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads