• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The streetwear shoes and boots thread...No sneakers please

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't a grundletaint kind of like a vaginacunt?

choptreesv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sarcastoc
Hey I don't want to start a new thread for such a small question, but could any of you recommend me a nice casual pair of boots? I'm looking to stop wearing sneakers all the time, and I was really interested in Clarks beeswax Desert Boots, but it seems I can't find any available. So is there any other recommendations out there?

not sure what kind of shoe that you're looking for, but some favorite boots around here...

Alden Indy
Red Wing GT
Red Wing Iron Ranger

Theyre more of a workwear look though

Fiddy

Reaction score
Tricker's Stow in black finally landed...

blackstow3.jpg

blackstow1.jpg

blackstow4.jpg

choptreesv

Reaction score
Considering ONE of these...really love both. any opinions? Alden PTB w/ crepe sole from Leathersoul
ptb1.jpg
ptb2.jpg
http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...hell-cordovan/ or Paul smith ricard boots
s7xc-a094-wsh-s25-14488.jpg
s7xc-a094-wsh-s25-detailb-14489.jpg
I'm really just looking for a clean, low profile boot that I can wear with denim slightly dressed up. i'm leaning towards the ricards because the aldens look a little chunky. i cant help but think that the aldens will last a lot longer though...

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Damir Doma wolf fish boots very light weight (granted the fish skin) that's covering a thing layer of super soft calf these boots looke very small and I was worried they wouldn't fit, yet somehow they worked
L1030423.jpg
L1030424.jpg
L1030425.jpg
L1030426.jpg

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no reason the ricards shouldn't last as long as the aldens. especially if you get a crepe sole which will wear down faster.

pruppert

Reaction score
I have the ricards, definitely a good investment. If you want low profile, i think the ricards' fit the bill a bit better. +1 to the ricards lasting just as long. If take care of them properly, there's no reason they won't have some serious longevity.

Definitely interested to see how those wolf-fish boots wear in. It could be spectacular. If anything, it'll be unique. Any idea on the resiliency of fish skin? I'd expect it to flake, crack even, but i don't know.

rbny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by choptreesv
Considering ONE of these...really love both. any opinions?

Alden PTB w/ crepe sole from Leathersoul

ptb1.jpg

ptb2.jpg

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...hell-cordovan/

or

Paul smith ricard boots

s7xc-a094-wsh-s25-14488.jpg

s7xc-a094-wsh-s25-detailb-14489.jpg

I'm really just looking for a clean, low profile boot that I can wear with denim slightly dressed up. i'm leaning towards the ricards because the aldens look a little chunky. i cant help but think that the aldens will last a lot longer though...

No experience with the Paul Smith Ricard boots but I highly recommend the Alden PTB's so much so that I'm in the process of ordering a second pair since I wear them just about all the time. Just make sure you try on a Barrie-lasted shoe (if you haven't already).

rbny

Reaction score
Ok I probably should learn how to read
blush.gif
Yes, the Paul Smith's are dressier and the more I look at them, the more I like them. Tough choice but I still prefer the Alden PTB's, especially with jeans. I think you should pick what fits your feet best.

Good luck.

Nuff said

Reaction score
Originally Posted by choptreesv

I prefer the styling on the Ricards too and considered buying them at one point. To be honest I couldn't bring myself to pony up the money because of the poor price/quality ratio.
I've tried on the Ricards. They look great but feel a bit cheap when handled up close. It looks like the sole would wear down very quickly without Topy. In addition, a couple of SF members have complained about the eyelets falling out on similar PS boots after minimal use.

There is no way the construction is on par with the Aldens. Even though they are crepe the Aldens can be resoled quite easily. Their styling is timeless if a little boring, so it's unlikely you'll tire of them as quickly either.

I considered buying the Blokes Cheshire boot from Endless:

41fzX9j6tIL._SS280_.jpg

The quality looks better than the Ricard.

I ended up buying the Bed:Stu Deputy from Shoebuy:

evolu208348_118352_jb1.jpg

The quality admittedly isn't that high but the aesthetic and price were close enough.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Damir Doma wolf fish boots
ddfish.jpg

skunkworks

Reaction score
Just a random PSA on sizing the Wings + Horns Dayton Service boot: I measure 8.5 D on a brannock device, wear an 8.5 D in AE Park Avenues, 7UK/8US in Paul Smith Starrs, 7UK/8 US in Paul Smith Ricards, 41 in CPs, 8 US in Chucks, and I just got a pair of the W+H service boots in 7 and they fit perfectly. Scary but true. I could probably do a 7.5 too if they make them in that size.

Fiddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skunkworks
Just a random PSA on sizing the Wings + Horns Dayton Service boot: I measure 8.5 D on a brannock device, wear an 8.5 D in AE Park Avenues, 7UK/8US in Paul Smith Starrs, 7UK/8 US in Paul Smith Ricards, 41 in CPs, 8 US in Chucks, and I just got a pair of the W+H service boots in 7 and they fit perfectly. Scary but true. I could probably do a 7.5 too if they make them in that size.

We wear the exact same size and I was actually torn between the W+H boot in 7 vs. 7.5. Much appreciated...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads