• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm glad this discussion has moved past, "Suit jackets and dinner jackets are the same, except for the differences, and the similarities are important" vs. "Suit jackets and dinner jackets are different, except for the similarities, and the differences are important." :D
Maybe we can move on to other matters, such as converting jackets into other button configurations. Someone else, please continue with this ...

Are you a bot?

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not potentially. Actually.

I can see a 1B being converted to a 2B by just adding another button hole and button lower than the buttoning button, But from 1 to 3 would be a bit tricky as the roll is already established at what would be the middle button. Maybe a 1B converted to a 3 roll 2? I mean i assume we are talking about jackets already made as 1B and not in the process of being made.

DonfromthePI

Reaction score
My sister just had her debut (18th birthday party) and she specified black tie. The vast majority were, surprisingly, correctly dressed in black tie. Mostly peak/shawl lapels, some DB tuxes, 2 or 3 velvet smoking jackets. Shoe's were a slightly different story, but the ratio of patent/slippers to other was almost 50/50. I dunno if we just have fashionable friends/family or if it's a filipino thing, but I was pleasantly surprised.
My sister also let me choose her court's clothing, so they were all properly dressed. Interesting to see that this isn't the norm when it comes to black tie, considering that the attendees were mostly ethnic non-caucasians.
As someone who lives in the "old country," I must say that I am impressed with this report that most of your sister's guests at her debut were in black tie. More often than not, our default for formal wear will be national dress (climate being tropical and all that).

Black tie is a relative rarity here in the Philippines, at least after 1986. Most events I have attended where formal garb was required would have had the men in Filipiniana or in lounge suits. To be fair, the black-and-white palette of black tie finds a complement in the black-and-white palette of the barong Tagalog when the latter is worn with evening trousers (at best; black sans the satin outer seam stripe seems to be the norm). I suppose the white dinner jacket with proper accessories would have blended nicely with men in Filipiniana, but I digress.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At one of the best dressed weddings I've ever been to. Attempting to do my part.

footux_london.jpg

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
It's only appropriate, since it was his wedding, but I dug Bill's peaks more than this shawl. I like your studs more than his uncovered buttons, however. Either way, both great looks. Hope y'all had a good time.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's only appropriate, since it was his wedding, but I dug Bill's peaks more than this shawl. I like your studs more than his uncovered buttons, however. Either way, both great looks. Hope y'all had a good time.

Yes, but just think: the wedding would never have even gotten off the ground without dutiful groomsmen to seat guests and hand out programs. We are the forgotten bearers of burden.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foo, this question grows out of wondering if I've been pushing my tailor to make my sleeves a bit too short. Are your sleeves on this suit as long as the picture makes them look, and if so, what would you say about it. If that's right, then I'm definitely wrong. I like the DB shawl though, it is definitely not going to look like all the others.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Foo, this question grows out of wondering if I've been pushing my tailor to make my sleeves a bit too short. Are your sleeves on this suit as long as the picture makes them look, and if so, what would you say about it. If that's right, then I'm definitely wrong. I like the DB shawl though, it is definitely not going to look like all the others.

It's cut like all my other jackets. I only ever show a sliver of cuff, like half a centimeter or so. There is a broad range of acceptability in my book.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's cut like all my other jackets. I only ever show a sliver of cuff, like half a centimeter or so. There is a broad range of acceptability in my book.

OK, probably just the angle and being B&W then. Thanks.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Looking pretty good. Though, if that last pic is indication, it appears that there is a bit of a gap between the top of your pants and your buttoning point. This exposes some white area. IMO this ruins clean lines and takes away from the continuity of the fit. Try tossing a cummerbund on next time to avoid the glaring gap and especially if you plan to wear your tux unbuttoned.

Also, it appears that there is some flaring at the tails (though it might just be your slightly off-kilter stance in the pic). A ventless jacket will avoid this issue.

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking pretty good. Though, if that last pic is indication, it appears that there is a bit of a gap between the top of your pants and your buttoning point. This exposes some white area. IMO this ruins clean lines and takes away from the continuity of the fit. Try tossing a cummerbund on next time to avoid the glaring gap and especially if you plan to wear your tux unbuttoned.
Also, it appears that there is some flaring at the tails (though it might just be your slightly off-kilter stance in the pic). A ventless jacket will avoid this issue.

I was already wearing suspenders is it appropriate to wear both suspenders and a cummerbund? The flaring is a non-issue when I stand straight up.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads