• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it is too warm. I bought it in Chicago where I lived in the early 80s.
In those days I wore a suit,more or less, every day for work and stood
on an open platform for my train to work. after which I walked several
blocks. I alternated it with a British Warm ( 32oz) from Chipp) and a
a lighter Loden-like Balmacaan from Burberry. The last time I wore the
"monster" was 1988. I actually miss real winter, except the driving.
Echo those thoughts.

I'm putting my overcoats away this weekend.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Echo those thoughts.

I'm putting my overcoats away this weekend.

I do not know whether you have an anti-moth routine, but one was recommended
by the late Bob Stankovic, superb tailor. Air them out for a few days in the sun and
then store them in garment bags with cedar. My neighbor in an adjacent mansion-
which makes by house a shack by comparison, has noted my semi- annual "display"
of tailored clothing and sweaters in our garden. Beats the lingering odor of moth balls.

Last edited:

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not know whether you have an anti-moth routine, but one was recommended
by the late Bob Stankovic, superb tailor. Air them out for a few days in the sun and
then store them in garment bags with cedar. My neighbor in an adjacent mansion-
which makes by house a shack by comparison, has noted my semi- annual "display"
of tailored clothing and sweaters in our garden. Beats the lingering odor of moth balls.
This is useful. I usually pack the garment bags with mothballs.

hitsuji

Reaction score
Can someone enlighten me on the construction of a balmacaan? They’re uncanvased?

Im inbetween considering a coat from my tailor or going with the Lamarche Korea Balmacaan since I already have their Polo Coat and it fits well

ZzzRain

Reaction score
Can someone enlighten me on the construction of a balmacaan? They’re uncanvased?

Im inbetween considering a coat from my tailor or going with the Lamarche Korea Balmacaan since I already have their Polo Coat and it fits well
I asked my tailor the same question. He told me that balmacaan can only be made as uncanvassed.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn’t use my tailor. But that’s just my preferences.

hitsuji

Reaction score
I wouldn’t use my tailor. But that’s just my preferences.
I’d be on the same wavelength, seems a waste to have a person talented in shaping and utilising canvas for a balmacaan if it is unstructured - the only benefit would be to choose a cloth MTO - may just go for an ulster coat with him and get a RTW balmacaan.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one would appeal to those who like a loose fit.

Screenshot (1379).png
Screenshot (1380).png
Screenshot (1381).png
Screenshot (1382).png

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
Could somebody please recommend some sources where I might find a darker rust or reddish-brown tweed herringbone in a good overcoat weight, at least 17-18oz?

I have a couple of basic RTW single breasted coats (solid camel, grey) but I’d like to order something a bit more unique this year. The rust brown color has been harder to find than I expected. I think Spier and Mackay used to offer one in a similar color but they don’t have it on their site anymore (and I don’t think it would fit anyway). Thank you.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would this be coined a “loose Ulster style” coat or something completely different?

It is quite close to what I’d want in overcoat albiet a little loose - striking lapels but very flowy
Doesn't look like a very heavy fabric. Also, would be fine w/o a belt in the back.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little extravagant, Mr Davide Tofani wearing an overcoat with collar and lapels in cotton pile astrakhan imitation (like that he made for @brax, to see in the black tie thread).

Screenshot (1384).png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads