• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY, AND F

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For anyone interested, Kamakura now has the button down I posted earlier available for purchase on the US site

http://shop.kamakurashirts.com/goods_en_usd_514.html

goods_514_1.jpg

Last edited:

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's too dark and looks to be work-shirt quality.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's too dark and looks to be work-shirt quality.

I don't know what you mean by "workshirt quality," but Kamakura's are very well made, though not hand stitched.

If you are talking about the fabric formality, than yes, it is more casual than the one in the OP.

I liked this fit pic they have, sans bowtie

coad1.jpg

Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wearing my SG chambray shirt today. Looks great!

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wait - so how many chambrays (not voiles) did Will sell? I thought there was only one...

At any rate, mine has poly but I'm 99% sure was described as 100% cotton.

Will represents the chambray to be 100% cotton. He also represented it to be spun on old looms although that representation has been now removed from his website. From all of the information that I have gathered, none of the fabric sold by Will was spun on the old looms as they would be 90cms wide rather than 150cms. Although Will insists that the chambray is 100% cotton, I think that the bulk of the evidence suggests otherwise.

As for the voile, I would not be too concerned. While not spun on old looms, I don't think that anyone has argued that they contain polyester. In fact, the European distributor -- forgot his name -- who received the admission from SG that all of the chambray contained polyester, still sells the voile and concluded that the voile does not contain the polyester.

mactire

Reaction score
Will represents the chambray to be 100% cotton. He also represented it to be spun on old looms although that representation has been now removed from his website. From all of the information that I have gathered, none of the fabric sold by Will was spun on the old looms as they would be 90cms wide rather than 150cms. Although Will insists that the chambray is 100% cotton, I think that the bulk of the evidence suggests otherwise.

As for the voile, I would not be too concerned. While not spun on old looms, I don't think that anyone has argued that they contain polyester. In fact, the European distributor -- forgot his name -- who received the admission from SG that all of the chambray contained polyester, still sells the voile and concluded that the voile does not contain the polyester.

Did he really say 'spun' on old looms? Nothing is spun on a loom, yarn is woven into cloth on it. Yarn is spun on a spinning frame as you can see here http://www.albinigroup.com/en/education/fabrics-life/spinning
I did the burn test on my SG chambray and it was 100% cotton.

Discuss.

Oh no you don't not bloody again!!

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did he really say 'spun' on old looms?  Nothing is spun on a loom, yarn is woven into cloth on it. Yarn is spun on a spinning frame as you can see here http://www.albinigroup.com/en/education/fabrics-life/spinning  

I don't recall the exact terminology that appeared on Will's site: spun or woven. For the sake of accuracy, how about if I amend my statement to say that the site represented that the chambray was "made" on the old looms.

mactire

Reaction score
I don't recall the exact terminology that appeared on Will's site: spun or woven. For the sake of accuracy, how about if I amend my statement to say that the site represented that the chambray was "made" on the old looms.

Beg pardon, my intent was not to be a berk but to poke fun at what I perceive to be the fluff and nonsense around the SG chambray.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads