• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
good book 1, good wine 2

Tomorrow I'm doing a Sauternes with some Stilton and some pate. I might get an extra wine just to get dizzy.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
the entire area around Bordeaux IS wine country as it produces a huge number of wines. But the very best Chateaus are all concentrated around the river in some way and are very close to each other.
quoting my own post for some revision: the right bank seems to be a little more spread out than the left bank (and this is my ****** memory, I don't have my book open anymore, correct me if wrong). In St. Emilion, Ch. Ausone is a bit of a distance from Ch. Cheval-Blanc, and it's hard to tell any continuity from here. I know the limestone presence can make a big difference as this tends to produce much bigger and tannic wines even with the Merlot grape. On the left bank, the big names are decently close to each other, much closer than say a Cote du Bohne (sp?) in the south vs. a Cote du Nuits in the north of Burgundy. Trying to get my last bit of semi knowledge in before Manton declares me a buffoon.

joopie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryansmith
Drinking a 1990 Palmer tomorrow.

Should be a nice wine, although Palmer has only significantly started improving since the middle of the nineties.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
WTSO has a 1995 Burgess Cab Library selection for $23. Dang it. Very tempted. Could buy a nice cab that I wouldn't need to cellar for 2+ years. What do you guiz think? EDIT: Too late. Already pulled the trigger. Got 4 bottles. Hope it's good. Somebody stop me. This is getting ridiculous.
ffffuuuu.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
WTSO has a 1995 Burgess Cab Library selection for $23. Dang it. Very tempted. Could buy a nice cab that I wouldn't need to cellar for 2+ years. What do you guiz think?

EDIT: Too late. Already pulled the trigger. Got 4 bottles. Hope it's good.

Somebody stop me. This is getting ridiculous.
ffffuuuu.gif

I am about a millimeter from buying that myself. Problem is, if I do I may end up joining you among the newly single.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every page of this thread Mark buys more wine!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Hell, since I found this thread I have been buying and drinking a lot more wine. A bad habit for a student...

ryansmith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joopie
Should be a nice wine, although Palmer has only significantly started improving since the middle of the nineties.
I agree, I had an 01 about 2 months ago and it was quite good, esp for an 01.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
'90 Palmer was an underachiever for the vintage, but still a very good wine. Should be perfectly mature by now.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Hai Guiz, bonus day!!!!

Expecting a lengthy post of purchase pics!

I guess I got up too late/signed off too early to catch that Cab. I would have pulled the trigger for sure. Not sure whether to be relieved or sad.

At the very least, 08 Merry Edwards Sauv. Blanc tonight. California's answer to Didier.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I guess I got up too late/signed off too early to catch that Cab. I would have pulled the trigger for sure. Not sure whether to be relieved or sad.

+1.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads