• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Vintage Clothing and Accessories Thread

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Best vintage find I've had was three vintage bespoke suits all from the same donor, lined up in a row on the suit rack like they had just been put out.
Quote of my post from 2 years ago:
I apologize in advance for the awful photos. These were taken before I had gotten my new camera.
2) Turnquist Los Angeles suit. Late 40's-early 50's.

3) Currado Brothers 3 piece suit. 1954

Very Bold Look 40s moving into its more controlled narrower lapel look before the 77 Sunset Strip vibe started to formulate.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just a quick note - I dont want to turn this thread into the thrift thread part 2 - I want to keep it a bit curated and not so much common stuff here. Gmmcl, sorry bro but I edited out your ties. I don't think that any ties really serve a place here, unless its something like a turn of the century thing, or something of great historical importance.

I know that the majority of posters in this thread will be the thrift guys who find stuff, but please use your judgement before posting to keep this as well curated as possible.

This thread is brilliant. I cannot believe no one thought of this earlier. 

Spoo, given your apparent interest, you never seem to wear any vintage pieces. Any particular reason, or am I off-base?

I really dont wear vintage clothing at all, no - but that does not mean it does not interest me. Vintage clothing does not really fit my style, so it does not get worn. But, as you know I do love clothes :) and Im a curious person by nature, so the historical side of them really interests me. Also, its really interesting to see the "they dont make them like they used to" aspect of things. Like those HF and bespoke suits from the 40s and 50s that Nataku and Brianpore posted - I mean, you just dont have artisans today that can replicate that kind of work.

While I dont own much vintage clothing myself, I do have a pretty strong affinity for vintage accessories. Ive got a collection of vintage Goyard and Louis Vuitton steamer trunks from the turn of the century, which are my babies. Ill try and get some pics of them up soon. One of them, we use for my daughters toy chest, which is pretty cool. I also have a collection of English alligator and sterling silver small leather goods, assorted knick knacks etc. Cigar holders, flasks, desk sets, gentlemens accessories... that sort of thing.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've found a couple of GREAT things recently (the past 6 months). First was the English Overcoating I bought this summer from a shop on Delancey St, that was dated from 1936. Thought it made up nicely as a modern piece:

Next is something I kopped on eBay while searching for some cool items to perhaps one day have in a shop if the biz goes well:

Its a vintage 1920's Necktie Case. In rough shape, but the floral details that are on the unexposed inside are beautiful, and I can imagine what this looked like when new...

And then there's my 1950's-60's Turnbull and Asser Raglan Sleeve Overcoat:

Also this late 60's early 70's T&S Cashmere SC which I've since passed on:

Also, a piece of old school Americana, a 1960's Hardwick 3 piece Suit with reversible waistcoat. Actually wound up tracking down the owner of Hardwick (still in business today) and we had a slew of great email exchanges where he told me all about the piece and its history. this has also been passed on:

Last edited:

Pawz

Reaction score
Not sure how appropriate my finds are, but I'll post a few here.

1920's (guesstimate) smoking jacket (feels like silk; no makers' tag):

Closer:

Embroidered, silk kimono (dunno what gender it's intended for, but it's cool!

Front:

Front (detail):

Back:

Womens' nurse cape from WWII (or thereabouts). It's unusual because it's pink. :)

Fold:

Inside:

Tag:

Collar 1:

Collar 2:

Wearer's initials (guessing):

Last edited:

mhtcjt37

Reaction score

Its a vintage 1920's Necktie Case. In rough shape, but the floral details that are on the unexposed inside are beautiful, and I can imagine what this looked like when new...
And then there's my 1950's-60's Turnbull and Asser Raglan Sleeve Overcoat:
That tie case and T&A overcoat
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hope this is appropriate for this thread (Spoo - feel free to delete if not). Posted this in the thrift thread awhile back and it remains one of my favorite finds (and for about $5.00). 1972 bespoke FU jacket from Hicks & Sons (now owned by Denman & Godard):

Incredibly soft, almost cashmere-like hand, tons of great details, amazing 70s-sized hacking pockets

The waist suppression on this thing is nuts, almost 3 inches less than the chest. Sleeves are two inches too short for me so it basically just sits in my closet, and with working button cuffs I don't feel like getting this worked on, but I just can't bare to give this up. Yet.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got this from a fellow thrift member
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
Only from 69' but pretty awesome!
:bigstar: This thread is awesome! I'd say about 80% of my wardrobe is vintage stuff, however, I'm away from home all week so I won't be able to post anything till I get back. A couple things that come to mind are a smoking robe that I got from Wes that has half dollar size MOP buttons, probably from the 40's and in mint shape and a couple of tail coats, one dated 1937 and the other is probably from the Victorian era. I've also got a sweet briefcase dated 1940 and stamped with "Morton International Audit Department". Pics to come!

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Spoo, perhaps you could edit your first post to include a greatest hits collection so as to "curate" the thread. I realize your intentions are to bring together some curious vintage finds that might get lost in the brand name wank fest that our sister thread has become.

I've recently deleted a fair amount of photos of finds, but here is a sampling.

MINT Clicker car coat. Talon Zippers, dense boiled wool, "satin" lining. The works for a well-built 1950s greaser coat.

MINT La Paz cotton jacket with two decades worth of aerospace patches as well as some local Colorado flavor. Amongst the collection are the ridiculously rare Stafford-Cernan Gemini 9 and
Cernan-Evans-Engle backup crew joke patch. http://www.earthtothemoon.com/ap_14_artifacts.html

Really cool wool union suit, from when haberdashers made work clothes. Mother of pearl buttons!

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bond wool overcoat from 1932-34. I'm able to narrow it to those years because it has the National Recovery Act label that was only used in that time period. This thing is beautiful and could still be sold as new. It would also stop bullets.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Bond wool overcoat from 1932-34. I'm able to narrow it to those years because it has the National Recovery Act label that was only used in that time period. This thing is beautiful and could still be sold as new. It would also stop bullets.

Jeez that half lining tailoring/taping and the buttonhole work is something like bespoke from a master tailor.

Last edited:

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quite possibly my favorite find to date. Presumably 1920's, but I'm still waiting to hear from Spalding.

I cried a little when I saw you had sold that, before I even had the chance to ask for a size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads