• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of actually thrifting stuff... I hit up three shops this morning and came out fairly empty handed. I'm starting to collect these LL Bean Norwegian Heritage sweaters...

-LL Bean Womens Heritage Norwegian Wool Sweater -Large (available)
-Clan Douglas (for Nordstroms) Cashmere Vest, navy blue -Mens Large (available)
-Oboz hiking boots (waterproof) -Mens 10 and Mens 8 (mens 8 are not pictured) -available

green_machine

Reaction score
Spoo's got some competition....

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding posts about flipping, and thrifting exposure:

Quite obviously, I post a ton of items that I intend to sell. I post them because I think they were cool finds, and I don't mention the flipping aspect. For me, posting is not money related: it's about sharing my excitement about items that I find. That's not meant as a defense, or judgement upon people who do otherwise, it's merely an explanation of my approach to posting.

The whole exposure to thrifting deal... well... I don't take it that seriously. Part of that is the fact that thrifting is already very hot in the LA area. From a business perspective, I try to diversify my thrifting strategy, which helps counter the "drying up" of certain stores.

Other than that, I want to mention that I wish I still posted a bunch. Part of it is time constraints, and part of it is lack of motivation to post. I was a bit of a drama queen (ironically, Frenchy and I are friends now), and that left a bad taste in many members' mouths. I was young and restless, what can I say. However, because of that truth, my posts aren't as well received as initially. I wish that weren't the case, but I have mostly myself to blame.

On the entrepreneurship front, I'm working on some very exciting projects. For me, the "business of thrifting" has become a multifaceted and creative endeavor. It has changed my life. I left college, shifted much of my life direction, and now run small business with Connor (Mainy). I am happier, and more comfortable with myself than I have ever been!

As this has progressed, I have also become much more interested in fashion itself. Initially, I was obsessive about quality: I had an eye for quality, construction, etc. Now that's changing. I feel comfortable dressing in tune with my emotions. I'm almost at the point where I'm the guy walking down the street in full goth-ninja garb. That is something that I would have never felt comfortable with.

In the last week I've hung out with an immensely talented designer, and have all but finalized a large purchase from a popular streetwear brand. I'm continuously growing, learning, and am enthralled doing so.

Here's my advice to all of you. My dad is a geologist. Many of my excursions as a kid were gold panning, fossil hunting, metal detecting, etc. That is what thrifting is and should always be to me: a treasure hunt.
Why, do tell!?
Winter is coming. Episode 8 just came out!
Spoo's got some competition....
Pfftt, prolly just a rental.

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda dull day

Faconnable wool/cashmere dual vented shacket w/ suede elbow patches. Is this pattern birdeye?

PRL Italy herringbone utility shirt, more leather patches + smoked MOP buttons. Does Corneliani do PRL Italy's shirts as well?

some trousers

AG (for a friend)

Save Khaki - I bought these for a buddy who just lost a bunch of weight but I after this picture I think they might be women's :embar:

Allsaints

Does anyone know this brand? I'm keeping the tie as I like the pattern and hand. Seems like it was a Filene's brand?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone seen these before, research seems to indicate quality. Russell Moccasin Co. 12 in "Yuma" Styling
LL
NOS Vintage Supreme Work Boots 12 E
Russells are very well made and made pretty close to me. Pretty sought after too. Nice find! Those boots = :drool:
All this car talk has inspired me to share my own thrift -for-car story.
About 3 years ago I was in the Downtown Oakland (CA) Salvation army. Had canvassed the store with nothing to show for it. Was heading for the exit past the maternity clothing, and lo and behold, I spot 7 vintage Schott one star 613s from the 60s and 70s in a neat little row amongst the mumus . This place is awash with flippers, albeit in the middle of a sea of fish markets and massage parlors in Oakland Chinatown, so I nearly swallowed my tongue in shock that they were still there (might have been cached there for all I know). I bought them all at about 20 bucks a jacket, and sold them all to the tune of about 3k between Craigslist and eBay. I turned around and a few weeks later used the dough to buy a 1964 Plymouth Valiant (CA car, perfect running cond) from a very elderly gent in Redwood City. Her name is Orabelle, incidentally I did all of this without telling my wife, which was just an awful idea, but there it is. So after picking up the Valiant, I go to pick her up from the Bart station, and she nearly beheaded me in rage. Though now the car is one of her favorite things in the world, so I feel both vindicated, and thrift empowered. The end
Awesome story and gorgeous ride! Well done! I'm super envious of that car..... :worship:
Ive not posted in super long, but here is a roll call on my latest finds:
  • Oxxford N3 Sport Coat, in a lovely brown and cream micro check super 120's, double vented, 0 shoulder padding
  • Belvest cream, red, and blue Sheppard Check, amazing fabric and fit
  • Chicago made SC in a Blue background, with a brown and dark blue over check, loro piana 100% cashmere, fully canvassed, exstensive handwork, double vented-the damn fabric not only looks amazing, but hot dam the hand of it is insane, very lightly padded shoulders
A **** load of pocket squares, all hand rolled, most are vintage, I also started picking up vintage fabrics and making my own hand rolled pocket squares. Its super fun and very much helps me understand the difference in quality of squares out there. Also have taken a few stabs at antiquing shoes-meaning changing the colors and dying shoes. Again, super fun, but wow a lot of work.
Glad to see you're still thrifting! Nice finds as well. :cheers:
Regarding posts about flipping, and thrifting exposure: Quite obviously, I post a ton of items that I intend to sell. I post them because I think they were cool finds, and I don't mention the flipping aspect. For me, posting is not money related: it's about sharing my excitement about items that I find. That's not meant as a defense, or judgement upon people who do otherwise, it's merely an explanation of my approach to posting. The whole exposure to thrifting deal... well... I don't take it that seriously. Part of that is the fact that thrifting is already very hot in the LA area. From a business perspective, I try to diversify my thrifting strategy, which helps counter the "drying up" of certain stores. Other than that, I want to mention that I wish I still posted a bunch. Part of it is time constraints, and part of it is lack of motivation to post. I was a bit of a drama queen (ironically, Frenchy and I are friends now), and that left a bad taste in many members' mouths. I was young and restless, what can I say. However, because of that truth, my posts aren't as well received as initially. I wish that weren't the case, but I have mostly myself to blame. On the entrepreneurship front, I'm working on some very exciting projects. For me, the "business of thrifting" has become a multifaceted and creative endeavor. It has changed my life. I left college, shifted much of my life direction, and now run small business with Connor (Mainy). I am happier, and more comfortable with myself than I have ever been! As this has progressed, I have also become much more interested in fashion itself. Initially, I was obsessive about quality: I had an eye for quality, construction, etc. Now that's changing. I feel comfortable dressing in tune with my emotions. I'm almost at the point where I'm the guy walking down the street in full goth-ninja garb. That is something that I would have never felt comfortable with. In the last week I've hung out with an immensely talented designer, and have all but finalized a large purchase from a popular streetwear brand. I'm continuously growing, learning, and am enthralled doing so.
Here's my advice to all of you. My dad is a geologist. Many of my excursions as a kid were gold panning, fossil hunting, metal detecting, etc. That is what thrifting is and should always be to me: a treasure hunt.
Very well put! I'm also very happy to read that your new direction in life is going well. That's what matters really is your happiness. Kudos!

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's Finds:

Barney's New York, has a small snag I clipped off but I'm keeping it for myself.
Duchamp Made in England....this thing might be the skeet blanket of ties

Size 36 NOS Polo Shorts...Made in the US and still have the "Inspected By" sticker on the inside...available

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stopped at GW to donate some stuff...

Picked up a Luciano Barbera tie (a first for me) and an EZ shirt (L, 43). Both available.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sigh. Too lazy to quote everyone, but I clearly am not of the same mind as most. Oh well. I haven't posted my finds here anyway in months, so it doesn't really matter. Like DM7, I can't much be bothered to anymore. And feelings of thread entropy, I suppose. I have made it a point to make just one relevant post after ******** all over the thread the last few times I have, then disappear for a few months. So I'll continue the trend I guess.

All are from today

Good Lanvin, recent Canali, recent/selvedge Zegna, Zegna, Zegna, CT (liked color)
Ben Silver "Federalist Society" specialty tie, Adam Smith tie (same guy obvi), Charvet, Charvet, Oxxford (left another made in Italy - Kiton? - because of a hole)

Florsheim Imperial longwing pebble grain

Southwick loose weave brass btn, recent Brooks Bros 3/2 patch pocket Loro Piana S110s, PRL 6/2 DB side vented w/PRL buttons

super recent Burberry x2, Skeet, Peter Millar
H. Herzfeld (well respected shop on Madison Ave - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204781804577269793844153500.html), Paul Smith, BB slim fit patchwork madras

(left row) Zanella, Zanella, Zanella, Samuelsohn Italy
Right) Canali, Canali, Canali

PRL summer, Brooks summer, Bill's Khaki

Brooks 6/2 DB (first I've ever seen)

recent Burberry London tux coat, recent HF

Cooper A-2 bomber/flight jacket (repro? date? Repro is my guess since it's immaculate. Still, real goatskin leather, desired.)

Loro Piana storm system quilted vest w/cashmere lining

Last edited:

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sigh. Too lazy to quote everyone, but I clearly am not of the same mind as most. Oh well. I haven't posted my finds here anyway in months, so it doesn't really matter. Like DM7, I can't much be bothered to anymore. And feelings of thread entropy, I suppose. I have made it a point to make just one relevant post after ******** all over the thread the last few times I have, then disappear for a few months. So I'll continue the trend I guess.

All are from today

Here I am, photographing stuffs, when that post comes across...

awesome haul.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All are from today

Good Lanvin, recent Canali, recent/selvedge Zegna, Zegna, Zegna, CT (liked color)
Ben Silver "Federalist Society" specialty tie, Adam Smith tie (same guy obvi), Charvet, Charvet, Oxxford (left another made in Italy - Kiton? - because of a hole)

Florsheim Imperial longwing pebble grain

Southwick loose weave brass btn, recent Brooks Bros 3/2 patch pocket Loro Piana S110s, PRL 6/2 DB side vented w/PRL buttons

super recent Burberry x2, Skeet, Peter Millar
H. Herzfeld (well respected shop on Madison Ave - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204781804577269793844153500.html), Paul Smith, BB slim fit patchwork madras

(left row) Zanella, Zanella, Zanella, Samuelsohn Italy
Right) Canali, Canali, Canali

PRL summer, Brooks summer, Bill's Khaki

Brooks 6/2 DB (first I've ever seen)

recent Burberry London tux coat, recent HF

Cooper A-2 bomber/flight jacket (repro? date? Repro is my guess since it's immaculate. Still, real goatskin leather, desired.)

Loro Piana storm system quilted vest w/cashmere lining
Bad ass!!!!!!!!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads