• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Thought this was weird, so I need some input. Exhibit A 4 button, non vented, flat front/cuffed/lined pants Its a decent suit, obvious handwork everywhere (lapels, collar, button holes) fully canvassed. The tag doesn't look right to me, mainly because it has red stitching. Has anyone seen this before? Is it real?
I can't say for certain, but I agree that my first instinct was that it doesn't look right. I'd say the font is off, but I don't pick up much Armani. Sorry for such little help on this one, I'm interested to hear what others have to say!

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Not huge, but prob keeping and is pretty nice. Love the shoulder stitching.

John Varvatos Mainline

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pretty sure I'll never leave the house with it on, but it is kind of cool.
I'm not usually one to dump on thrift fits since I guess I encouraged them to begin with but, thanks to the dress code of my employment, I now own nearly 3 dozen black shirts that I would gladly burn to a char if I wasn't required to wear them every day. :uhoh:
There's a ****** SA by me that never has much. Once in a while it'll have some eBay grist but its mostly filled with street folk using clothing vouchers. I stop in once a week or so because its on one of my routes. Today:
My size YOLO
Very nice!

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't always thrift shirts....
images

But when I do...

I thrift Italian shirts.

Duchamp - 16.5" (42cm) french cuff, spread collar, split yoke
Fray - Medium (14.5 33) - barrel cuff, button down collar
Brioni - Medium (14.5 34) - barrel cuff, button down collar

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another pure brag.

There's a ****** SA by me that never has much. Once in a while it'll have some eBay grist but its mostly filled with street folk using clothing vouchers. I stop in once a week or so because its on one of my routes. Today:

My size
YOLO

:worship:

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know J Crew is not SF approved but I somehow got their 30% off sale item to stack a couple times. Ordered about 600+ of stuff yesterday for $87 and got a confirmation of my order shipping today. Will see what happens. Even without stacking they have some decent stuff pretty cheap after code entered.

I actually just stopped into J Crew today before work and picked up a pair of black-watch slim fit trousers for $25. Original price was $135 marked down to $39 plus 40% off. They also had a bunch of fair isle sweaters for about $35 and a bunch of Thomas Mason shirts for around $60.

shadesofbeige

Reaction score
Hey guys, long overdue post/brag.

Available:

The coolest BB suit I've ever seen. 40R Single-breasted peak lapel, 100% linen, made in USA.

Shirts

OG Helmut Lang 16. Bib and French cuffs w/ matching button cufflinks

RLPL for the Robert Graham crowd, size L

Awesome vintage Filson made in USA polin camp shirt, XL.

Pour moi (both from Buffalo Exchange)

3.1 Phillip Lim

Wings + Horns Shacket

And the piece d'resistance. My gf picked this up on consignment with her Christmas money.

bigstar[1].gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally got my defective Boglioli K Jacket from that 59 Euro sale today. I peeled away the red tape and couldn't find any defects.
puzzled.gif

Anyways, size 40 fits me pretty well except for the looooooooooonnnnnnggggggg ass sleeves! Those thing came down all the way to my knuckles! WTF!!! On top of that, the sleeves are functional! GGGGAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
baldy[1].gif

But luckily, there are about over 2 inches of fabric in the sleeves left to work with. I'm gonna see if my tailor can shorten it from the sleeves...If not, I might just pay her to shorten the sleeves from the shoulders...
ffffuuuu.gif

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the field, phone can't upload photos for whatever reason. Is Diesel a SW&D approved brand? If so I found a jacket size S for $30 can proxy

LooknGr8

Reaction score
I see it in the store: 1964 J. Press Presstige wool SC, well near mint.

I pass. I've been hard on Spoo, sending him some loud stuff and challenging him to eBay it, the reward is LuxeSwap thread love from me (he's earned it and of course his piece of the consignment split that he earns every cent of and more as far as I'm concerned). When I PM him on other matters and casually mention this ("you can thank your lucky stars I ain't sending you THIS"), he responds "Can you go back and get it?

I do. I get it home, I try it on. Fits like a glove. Even bloody short arm sleeve length perfect for me. Wife: "I like it! And I don't like a lot of what you're wearing [i.e. the Barbour tweed jackets I love and got NWT at the sample sale? She don't like 'em]."

Still, it's going to Spoo. I can't wear this and wake up the next day feeling good about myself...it looks to me like the dacron rec-room couches from the era...what y'all think?

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought this was weird, so I need some input.

Exhibit A

4 button, non vented, flat front/cuffed/lined pants
Its a decent suit, obvious handwork everywhere (lapels, collar, button holes) fully canvassed.

The tag doesn't look right to me, mainly because it has red stitching. Has anyone seen this before? Is it real?

This looks really off to me, too mainly because it looks to be poorly made. I'm not an expert on GA but I've found a few GA Classico tags for you to compare.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads