1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Little of both, but gator/croc has much deeper, natural lines, like fingerprints or the creases in your palm. You cant fake the intricacies and depth.

2. matty long legs

matty long legs Well-Known Member

Both NA.

No name PS. Silk. Made in Italy. Hand rolled edges.
    [​IMG]

AE Chester wingtips. In fantastic shape. Fill a hole in my wardrobe, but I doubt they'll get much wear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

READ THIS ENTIRE POST!!!

Found these Gitman Bros, Made in Italy, pants last weekend. Can't find much on them and am beginning to think they were a bad buy, even at $3.99

Practically new...............................
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Apparently worn, maybe once, by a Phillies fan...................
    [​IMG]

Who didn't know exactly where was the best place to store his cash.......
    [​IMG]

Guess they were worth the $3.99 after all.
    No one ever said Phillies fans were the smartest folks in the world.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    8 people like this.
  4. troika

troika Well-Known Member

Yes. Probably all of it. I went around noon, about 4 hrs after opening, and a lot of the stuff was gone, especially the smaller sizes. I ended up going to 3 targets to get all of what I wanted.

1 person likes this.
  5. staxringold

staxringold Well-Known Member

Damn youse, so much things and in mah home state.

6. hucklecat

hucklecat Well-Known Member

I was thrilled to find $24.00 in a pair of old Plugg cargo pants. I have started feeling pockets now for a tell tale sign of cash. Makes me feel somewhat like a bum.

7. Lysander

Lysander Member

Dolfan954,

Uh oh, I hope I didn't venture into ban territory with my avatar. I was just going through my pics, and decided on that one. Oh well, it's the only accessory that I always tote no matter what I'm wearing.

1 person likes this.
  8. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Well-Known Member

Any of you own the Allen Edmonds Amok? To see how yours fit vs. others. (I know I know, not really what should be posted to this thread but I value your opinions and thoughts more, and the AE thread guys don't care to respond).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  9. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Malvern and have been wanting to try out the amoks as an alternative I may bite the bullet in. the most recent round of discounts

10. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

:slayer: Reminds me of a rather strange occurrence that happened to me several years ago. I found $20 in a pair of khaki Polo RL cargo shorts I bought from a thrift. The next week I buy a pair of seafoam green Polo RL cargo shorts from a different thrift shop. The night before I wore them, I had a dream about depositing $100 into my bank account that I was dangerously low in. I wake up and put my cell phone in the cargo pocket and feel something paper-y in the pocket. I pull it out and it's a folded $100 bill. Talk about Deja Vu.

11. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

WIN!
    i found a quarter once in a suit.... [​IMG] still felt likke a winner.
    you must have been in lottery mode!
    unexpected wins are the best!

12. landscapes

landscapes Well-Known Member

lots of great stuff recently, will do a dump soon.

Question: Are Harris Tweed things always worth picking up? I left two today because the coat makers were things I usually pass on (not remembering off-hand at the moment).

Also is it common for J Press stuff to not have a fabric tag? I got a suit today (seems like it's probably around a 44L, I'll measure it out when I take a picture) that seems m2m that has pretty much no info except a date and a guy's name).

13. hbkshin

hbkshin Well-Known Member

I asked that Harris Tweed question once. From what I'm told you'd usually pass on it unless it's recent or a really nice pattern.

14. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

As usual, it's a question that comes with a lot ifs and buts...if it's under $10, no holes, stains etc and for flippage, you should have no trouble making money. Suede elbows or other odd features seem to add to it. Odd sizes seem to be even easier to sell for me.

15. landscapes

landscapes Well-Known Member

hm. Based on what i'm now seeing on fleabay I probably could have moved these. I'm more looking for stuff for myself at the moment unless something really grabs me. Oh well!

16. hbkshin

hbkshin Well-Known Member

I also think it has a lot to do with your standings in ebay. Since I'm starting out still I don't get the exposure like Wes or Spoo or Brian can get. I think that plays a really big factor as well.

17. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Well-Known Member

so apparently a bunch of people thrifted $1 belvest sport coats off of my website a few days back...

whoops...

18. Oshuns919

Oshuns919 Well-Known Member

Can anyone identify these thanks in advance [​IMG]

19. JL3212

JL3212 Well-Known Member

Be sure to check out the halloween/costume section, if your thrift stores have them. Some stores around here think that certain clothes should be put in there, like tweed sport coats.

20. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.