1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

^^^ Yep, that is the good stuff! Nice find! I'd say late 70's.

Just one thing today. Beautiful recent Hickey Freeman Black/Tan Mini Houndstooth windowpane suit. 2 button. Commissioned in 2005. Not sure if it was ever worn. Waist pockets and the inside left pocket are still basted shut. No vent. Double pleated and cuffed trousrs. Fits like a 42/44 L. Available at cost+gas+shipping. Otherwise it will hit the bay tomorrow.

Jacket -

Chest: 22 1/2"
    Shoulders: 19"
    Sleeves: 28" with 0" to let out. No faux buttonholes for easy alterations as the sleeves are very long.
    Length (from top of collar) 34"

Trousers -

Waist: 18" (36 waist) with 2 1/4" to let out
    Inseam: 33 " with 1" to let out
    Cuffs: 1 1/2"
    Leg Opening: 8 3/4"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

:bounce2:

Nice!! That truck was a steal! Very nice bike, too!

:slayer:

3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

The important thing is what did you end up thrifting?
    [​IMG]

4. 330CK

330CK Well-Known Member

It's an entry-level trick/free ride bike (well at least set up that way right now with the seat slanted, seatpost all the way down, and the steep sloping top tube). Deore components are somewhere around the level of Shimano 105. The Tora fork is a decent fork, just heavy and not much adjustability. Would probably cost around $800 to get something similar new today. Should be an easy $2-300 on eBay, but that's just an estimate since I couldn't find a comparable competed listing.

5. Shiny

Shiny Well-Known Member

Nothing fits, but good job including all the measurements. :thumbs-up:

6. mp906

mp906 Well-Known Member

Anyone ever heard of Rosso Fiornetino Florence shirts? Pretty nice material and construction, but the smallest 17/43 I've ever tried on (fits like a 16.5/43 and short in the body), so available.
    [​IMG]

Trafalgar braces
    [​IMG]

I sooo wish this was a large[​IMG]

Abercrombie, made in Italy navy wool Peacoat. So awesome and minty. Size small
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

size on the prl also I hope you do better with that faconnable than I did...

8. woodchuck312

woodchuck312 Well-Known Member

It would probably be better off selling in on Craigslist, and not have to deal with the pain of taking it apart and shipping it. I've bought a couple nice bikes of craigslist with no issue. I'd imagine selling it should be pretty easy once the weather warms up a bit.

9. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

10. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

^^^ Indeed! That would be really nice for some young lady! You should surprise someone with it! Meanwhile, I finally made it to a Value Village that I learned about months ago but couldn't get to until today. Another piece of the formal rig fell into place when I scored a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece spread collar pleated front formal shirt. It's going to need some collar treatment but otherwise, it's one of the most incredible shirts I've ever felt.
    [​IMG]

11. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

Thanks, all, for the help. I couldn't find a completed eBay listing, either, and other online ads were all over the map, from $200 to $650, with component lists that might as well have been written in Greek. My first inclination was to put it on CL for $150 (I'm not keen on shipping it) but I'm glad I checked here first. The depth of knowledge is astounding.

As has been said before, it's rare to find decent bicycles--this is the third worth buying in the past five years for me. They were once fairly commonplace.

12. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Well-Known Member

Excellent day in the field.

[​IMG]
    Avirex B-3 bomber jacket

[​IMG]
    Fairly recent staple Canali charcoal suit

[​IMG]
    Brooks Brothers one button peak lapel tux

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gian Luca Napoli jacket

[​IMG]
    Patagonia shell

[​IMG]
    Tommy Bahama. I know, but these embroidered ones can do quite well on eBay.

[​IMG]
    Straw Borsalino. This made me cry, but I'm hoping it can be fixed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Not sure on the size. I was in a hurry. I'd guess a 42-44, will check tonight. The Faconnable will be BIN and I suspect it will sit for a month or so.

14. woodchuck312

woodchuck312 Well-Known Member

I was at a goodwill a couple months bac and was busy sorting through shirts when i finally go to the register and guys comes strolling up behind me in line with a 2 year old mint condition mid level Trek hybrid bike, retail around $800. He got it for $50. I was really kicking myself on that won. Could have sold that on Craigslist for $300-400 easy and quick [​IMG]

15. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

^^ Owch! I hate seeing what was missed! Sucks you can't be everywhere in the store at once! :laugh:

16. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

The last decent bike I found was a Trek hybrid. Paid $20 and flipped it for $150, IIRC. That was a summer or two ago.

17. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

Alright fellows, I have been so friggin busy that not much has happened. I still have not had time to pick up the Thom Browne Suits and do not even know if they still there :facepalm:

To guys with outstanding orders / awaiting packages, they are all going out on Monday. Sorry for the delay.

My busyness = paper presentation, another presentation at a University colloquium, work in Berkley 9am - 5:30pm (and a 2 1/2 hour commute there and back in severe traffic), 5 interviews as well at various companies in East Bay, I am BALLS TO THE WALL....

Have no time to do shit I enjoy, at moment can only do local thrifting picking up weak items :(

Anyways my pick ups from local area:
    Florsheim imperials 13E Longwings
    Ben Silver shirt western style
    Billy Reid shirt made in Italy thick MOP buttons
    Charles Tyrwit flannel shirt
    Ralph Lauren Polo made in Italy sport coat
    and the most awsome of all nwt/unused:
    [​IMG]

Talking of fragrances, what do you guys like?

I am into the Tom Ford for men at the moment. I think this new Chanel fragrance is pretty nice though!

I am also quite keen on Polo blue for some reason.

Own up who uses Old Spice :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Not bad pickups, Klobber. Hopefully things calm down for you some soon.

I also like Polo Blue. I had Polo Black once and enjoyed that. I just finished a bottle of "Mr Blass"—a fragrance Michael Bastian created for Bill Blass that is no longer on the market. These days, I mainly just use bay rum aftershave, $6 a bottle from my barber.

19. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

I remember the first cologne I ever used was English Leather. It will always have a soft spot in my heart. Who here remembers this stuff? Do they even still make it?

Polo Blue also has a soft spot in my heart. My wife and I met online (long story). So I flew down there years ago to meet her for the first time in person as well as meet her family and spend Thanksgiving with them. I loved Polo Blue at the time. One morning, I think I put too much cologne on as I remember coming out to the breakfast table and her father laughing and jokingly saying "Does the odor of our house offend you that much?". Still look back and laugh. To this day though, my wife loves Polo Blue as it reminds her of me and the first time we met. I still have a bottle kicking around somewhere.

My favorite right now is D.S. & Durga's Cowboy Grass.

http://www.dsanddurga.com/products/cowboy-grass/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.