• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

those varvatos boots are hawt. i've always liked his footwear. still regret selling a pair i got on mega super clearance for 50 bucks a few years ago. speaking of shoes, i am selling a million pairs on ebay right now. <--- shameless self promotion. but seriously guys, i agree that this thread is pretty good because it polices itself. this is like, the only Sf thread i actually bother posting in, as i don't have to worry about some pretentious douchebag making snarky attacks or breaking some sort of arcane rule, etc

I think the key is that it's self correcting. People are always posting new stuff, so there are always new random topics popping up around finds, so the old topics eventually get buried, no matter how hot and angry they may get. Same with posts that are a bit out of line with the standards. People roll their eyes, but they're buried quickly and easily ignored. There are always going to be people posting new thrifted stuff, so it never drifts too far off topic. Some threads don't have that- they start somewhere (like an attempt to buy a wallet) and they go off on a wild tangent with nothing to bring them back in line as they progress.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhat off topic thrifts for today:

file-1.jpg

I've wanted one for a while. Steamed it over the stove already and have to replace the hatband but I was thinking this:

Rather than this:

Interesting book. A cultural history of the white t-shirt. Introduction by Giorgio Armani.
file.jpg

Anyone into space agency paraphenalia? Saw a recent shuttle mission patch, framed and autographed by one of the astronauts. It had a small inscription leading me to think it was for a co-op or intern student sponsored by bp oil. It was $20. Happy to get a photo and proxy for someone who's really dying for it. PM me.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
those varvatos boots are hawt. i've always liked his footwear. still regret selling a pair i got on mega super clearance for 50 bucks a few years ago. speaking of shoes, i am selling a million pairs on ebay right now. <--- shameless self promotion. but seriously guys, i agree that this thread is pretty good because it polices itself. this is like, the only Sf thread i actually bother posting in, as i don't have to worry about some pretentious douchebag making snarky attacks or breaking some sort of arcane rule, etc

You aren't kidding. That's going to be a few months' worth of my rent right there. How the hell do you find so many pairs in what looks like a month's worth of thrifting? I've never found a pair of Brooks Brothers, Aldens, Ferragamos (men's), etc. Sure I found those Gucci crocs, but I see one great pair of shoes for every 100 Bruno Maglis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceOfBoh
Interesting book. A cultural history of the white t-shirt. Introduction by Giorgio Armani.
file.jpg

Rolling in my 60s era Duofold two layer fitted T-shirt today. If anyone sees these in the wild in a 36 or a 38, holler at me! Wool/Cotton blend, plenty stretchy given how small it actually is...not slubby and baggy the way that American/Alternative Apparel shirts are. These are impossible to find on eBay and it's so daunting to look through the T racks to find the one vintage shirt amongst the hundreds.

Last edited:

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You aren't kidding.  That's going to be a few months' worth of my rent right there.  How the hell do you find so many pairs in what looks like a month's worth of thrifting?  I've never found a pair of Brooks Brothers, Aldens, Ferragamos (men's), etc.  Sure I found those Gucci crocs, but I see one great pair of shoes for every 100 Bruno Maglis.

yeah, i don't know, i find a truckload of shoes here. i've been finding like 5 pairs of aldens a week lately, honestly i have a bunch more shoes to sell i didn't even get listed in time... i guess i just have less competition for decent shoes here, most people are after kenneth coles :foo:

acosbysweater

Reaction score
yeah, i don't know, i find a truckload of shoes here. i've been finding like 5 pairs of aldens a week lately, honestly i have a bunch more shoes to sell i didn't even get listed in time... i guess i just have less competition for decent shoes here, most people are after kenneth coles
foo.gif

LA quality with bible-belt knowledge. Really the best possible situation.

edit: I've been meaning to ask what you use to clean the sharpied prices off the bottom of the soles. Acetone? Goo Gone hasn't done anything but left marks.

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nail Polish remover/acetone. Though it will leave a blotchy spot on leather soles. Still better than the alternative.

LA quality with bible-belt knowledge.  Really the best possible situation.

edit: I've been meaning to ask what you use to clean the sharpied prices off the bottom of the soles.  Acetone?  Goo Gone hasn't done anything but left marks.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

edit: I've been meaning to ask what you use to clean the sharpied prices off the bottom of the soles.  Acetone?  Goo Gone hasn't done anything but left marks.

I tried nail polish remover as some people suggested, but it didn't work for me. I've been using fine-grain sandpaper on leather soles, rubbing lightly. Works like a charm.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not a suede eraser, The one with Mr Clean on it,

I've never heard of nutbuck, lol

th

I found my first Robert Graham today. New with tags at TJ Max for $29. I left it behind since it was a MLB jersey for the Phillies, and they don't appear to do well...nothing at all. It had some pretty sweet MOP buttons that looked like baseballs.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Somewhat off topic thrifts for today:
file-1.jpg

I've wanted one for a while. Steamed it over the stove already and have to replace the hatband but I was thinking this:

Rather than this:

:hide:
kidding. srsly.

It actually looks like it will be really cool. Classic shape and you're right about changing the headband.

Last edited:

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Wow, that's really fucked up that you posted this. I have a steamer trunk in my dinning room that has all my tweeds in, just waiting for the weather to turn colder,and last night I had a dream that someone came in my house and stole it while I was away. I remember being super pissed because most of the stuff in the trunk I haven't even got a chance to wear once yet. I woke up still pissed, and realized it was all a dream. Yes, I too think about clothes way too much.
And since we are still on the topic, I really need to clean out my closet.....bad. So I'll be posting a few things I would rather go to you fine gents on here before I send them over to the bay. I would much prefer a trade but if that doesn't work out, I'll be pretty much getting rid of this stuff for cost plus shipping.
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
And don't worry, I'll spoiler it all.
biggrin.gif
Hope that doesn't ruffle any feathers, I'd send it over to the trade thread, but let's be honest, this thread gets way more views.

Remember...we are around the same size...
Dang! At least it gets you thinking and keeps you on your toes! I had a tough time falling asleep last night thinking about the Loro Piana jacket. I need to let it go.....
Please tell me these fit a little big (10.5 to 11-ish)!
bounce2.gif

Anyway, today was the polar opposite of yesterday.
Been had Filson:

Alden for BB Shell wingtips

and some Brioni to finish off the day

Great find on the polo! It would be nice to find a couple of staple polos for my closet.
Handserhund, please send my shoes gerade jetzt I was going to wear them on my next big horse thievin' adventure and also to my younger brother miroslav's wedding.
lol8[1].gif

I passed on some really bad-ass Yves Saint Laurent stuff today because it was about a size too small. I wasn't sure if it was good stuff. The label was very old and read "Yves Saint Laurent" with "France" printed under. There was also an extremely old Boyds label marked on the items. I figured it may have been good stuff because Boyds doesn't really sell any low end items. The haul would have consisted of three sport coats: Herringbone Tweed, Blue Wool&Cashmere, and a Grey Windowpane....and two pairs of pants: one tweed and flat front blue. Anyway, not to go off on a tangent but what is the "good stuff" that isn't rive gauche, as in, the older stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads