• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcb9

Reaction score
With all the talk about what to expect from people in this thread re: pricing, etc...I'd like to give a shout out to capnwes, eazye and TDP. Great to trade with these fellows. Now back on pricing: some folks thrift for the sport of it (myself included, generally speaking) and don't mind letting things go cheaply as long as cost and shipping is covered. Others thrift for income and I don't blame them for asking more. Just my $0.02.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Make sure when you speak with ebay on the phone to do 3 things. Ask them to put a note on your account via this issue BEFORE anything bad happens. Ask for the persons name/ID number so you can reference them if there is a problem and also ask for any reference number to the above mentioned "note" on your account.

I wanted to say thanks again for this info. I got off the phone with eBay and I have to say that they were a lot of help. He said that I'll be fine and that I shouldn't respond to any of his messages. He/we read through the email exchanges and said that we specifically stated in the auction where we wanted to ship. When I explained that they originally wanted us to ship to Romania and then suddenly bought it with a (misspelled) German address, he said that they their eBay account was Romanian and that they were using a Romanian computer to communicate with us.

So, TL;DR: May have avoided a scam, lesson learned. If you feel weird about a transaction, don't do it. It may have been legit, but wasn't worth it to risk it.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Speaking of... I'm still.waiting on Chanel sunglasses lady to pay even though she sent me a nasty message saying she would pay as soon as I accepted her offer 12 hours after I accepted her offer...

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents on posting finds:

I usually post what I find, simply because it's an achievement for me, especially with where I thrift.

I'm never going to compete with you guys in major US metropolitan centres, especially in SoCal.

To borrow a sports metaphor, I thrift for love of the game. There are tons of guys in the majors and especially the minors who slug away at it for years. They'll never be superstars though. Doesn't make the game any less interesting.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
To borrow a sports metaphor, I thrift for love of the game. There are tons of guys in the majors and especially the minors who slug away at it for years. They'll never be superstars though. Doesn't make the game any less interesting.

+1. I love seeing the stuff you guys find, and the fact that sometimes the stuff is made available to us only makes it better.

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally getting around to the Ferragamos and some other ties that I found. Can anyone help me identify that Fruit tie with the first batch? I feel like I have seen that symbol before but cant figure out where (5th picture down). Oh yeah, these are all available :nodding:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Finally getting around to the Ferragamos and some other ties that I found. Can anyone help me identify that Fruit tie with the first batch? I feel like I have seen that symbol before but cant figure out where (5th picture down). Oh yeah, these are all available
nod[1].gif

Love the tie on the left. Sucker for stripes and checks.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We talk a lot about finding a suit in one section and pants in the other, matching them up and completing a successful suit.  But what do you guys think about breaking up a suit? Let's say you find a great suit hanging there on the racks, you inspect the jacket and everything looks fine. But the pants are too short, or too slim, or they have a (repairable) hole/rip/wear.  Or, in the alternative, the pants fit fine but the arms on the jacket are too short.

Anyone think it is immoral (or just bad thrift mojo) to un-marry these items, thereby chumming more orphans into the thrifting waters? Is this a violation of the thrifting code?

Or is everything fair game in love and thrift?

It would depend, I think, on the suit in question. I personally would never wear an orphan, and so I would never separate a suit, especially if it's a matter of measurements not working for you. Generally speaking, I pass on anything with flaws, but if it's high-end, RLPL, for example, and the flaw is very minor and fixable, then OK. But to answer your question, I would never wear an orphan and I would never sell an orphan, and so I would never separate and keep just the jacket. Now, if the jacket is screwed but the trousers fine, that's another matter.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We talk a lot about finding a suit in one section and pants in the other, matching them up and completing a successful suit.  But what do you guys think about breaking up a suit? Let's say you find a great suit hanging there on the racks, you inspect the jacket and everything looks fine. But the pants are too short, or too slim, or they have a (repairable) hole/rip/wear.  Or, in the alternative, the pants fit fine but the arms on the jacket are too short.

Anyone think it is immoral (or just bad thrift mojo) to un-marry these items, thereby chumming more orphans into the thrifting waters? Is this a violation of the thrifting code?

Or is everything fair game in love and thrift?

I once found a Polo cotton poplin suit and tossed on the jacket and it fit great. I went to the fitting room to try the pants and they were, to put it bluntly, capri length. I can't imagine what the person looked like who wore it previously but there was no way there would be enough cloth for my modest 29" inseam.

I left it all behind.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

+1. I love seeing the stuff you guys find, and the fact that sometimes the stuff is made available to us only makes it better.

Did you ever figure anything out with that corneliani jacket? :drool: Or varvatos boots?

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Funny you should ask, ears must have been ringing...

Here's the Italian Varvatos boots-

Sweetness - Edit - These are not the original laces, the originals are much better looking flat laces, these must be some gw substitutes.

Fun nail pattern

Oddity 1- Heel is slightly separated, seems fixable, barely noticeable.

Space Oddity 2- Both shoes show a bit of a gap like this between the upper and the sole. Not sure what's going on there. Can haz fix?

(This is where I talk about lessons learned and to pull out a magnifying glass because GW's ****** lights make everything look better than it is).

Jacket still up in the air. On an unrelated note, I went to a GW yesterday and for the love of god, half the staff was hot... Like really hot. Next door was a Keepers... First time I've ever seen one of those, now renamed Leavers in my mind.

Last edited:

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
On the topic of nice Oxxfords, what do you gents think of this one?

That's really beautiful...

Zegna Napoli Couture (No size tag - about a 40-42)

Nice going!! How was this missed / not commented on?

I'm out of town, and would be jealous I missed this if I weren't about to

likeomgwtfhowthe...awwwyeahhhh

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those varvatos boots are hawt. i've always liked his footwear. still regret selling a pair i got on mega super clearance for 50 bucks a few years ago. speaking of shoes, i am selling a million pairs on ebay right now. <--- shameless self promotion. but seriously guys, i agree that this thread is pretty good because it polices itself. this is like, the only Sf thread i actually bother posting in, as i don't have to worry about some pretentious douchebag making snarky attacks or breaking some sort of arcane rule, etc

Last edited:

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Funny you should ask, ears must have been ringing...

Here's the Italian Varvatos boots-

wow these are nice, right up there with those sick armani boots that nataku found a couple months back. :inlove:

EDIT: nataku, do you still have those boots? do they need a home? :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics