• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get around a grand for that Altman,nice find.but art is a really hard sell.

+1. art / lithos etc can be very squidgy. I've got something that sold for $500 on an art auction website about 3 weeks ago and I couldn't get $250 for it on eBay - same signed / numbered / edition litho print. fortunately, I like it enough to keep and the purchase was so far back that recouping my "investment" isn't a concern - i'll just enjoy it.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

First Foray Into Art Harold Altman Sailboats 240/285 Signed. Can anyone tell me anything about this, and help w/ valuation? I've done my best and have surmised its probably worth between 300-3000 lol, im happy with either, but would much prefer the latter or close to it.

+1.  art / lithos etc can be very squidgy.  I've got something that sold for $500 on an art auction website about 3 weeks ago and I couldn't get $250 for it on eBay - same signed / numbered / edition litho print.  fortunately, I like it enough to keep and the purchase was so far back that recouping my "investment" isn't a concern - i'll just enjoy it.

I agree that art can be difficult. I have three general rules:

1. I like it.
2. The price is right.
3. It is well known/of significant value.

If 2 of the 3 conditions are met, I buy it. Art is relatively easy to store and has the potential to grow in value. I've found that it isn't ordinarily an easy sell on eBay unless it's a well-known piece/artist. You may find that something sells well at an art auction, but it's an art auction. The audience is there for the specific purpose of buying art and they're generally in the know. So, you may end up having to sell it at an art auction. Another option is consigning it to a gallery. If you feel that you have something of value, I'd suggest taking it to someone that does valuations and paying them for their service. I am taking a couple of pieces in to have a value assigned for insurance purposes. If I try to actively sell them on my own, it will likely take awhile to find a buyer. I will likely consign them to an auction house or gallery, but it may not be for some time.

Art, like fashion, also has cycles as far as what is in "style" or demand, albeit it changes slower. Some things are timeless while others hit a peak and lose value quickly. An example is jade. Jade items are pretty hot right now as wealthy Chinese have an interest in their more traditional art at the moment. Pieces from the late 19th century and early 20th sell very well, much higher than even 10 years ago. That being the case, I would sell anything like that right now because interest may wane and you'll be looking at a lot less for the same item in 5-10 years. Most art works this way.

If I buy a piece for €20-30 and I like it, it will go up on a wall if I have the right place. If I don't particularly care for it, into storage it goes until I find the right time to have it repaired (if necessary) and find a buyer.

I currently have a couple of mid 19th century lithographs from a French artist that may be of value. I don't particularly like them, but they were a steal. I've done some research and know that similar lithographs by the same artist/time period are hanging in the French National Gallery. However, I would need to spend a bit of money having them restored and then sold. I have a lot of other things going on, so they will have to wait and they take up a very small amount of space. I only invested €10 into them, so it isn't like my money is losing value just sitting around.

/art rant

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am glad to see that you picked that one up....I saw it and thought it was a really nice piece. Did you see the Harris Tweed overcoat they also had or was that gone by now?

It's still there. There's also a PRL suede jacket there. They've started really bumping the prices up though. I've still got a really nice Harris Tweed overcoat I've been saving to put on the 'Bay in the fall so I didn't get it. If they dropped the price some I would.

Mercuryman76

Reaction score
Nothing mindblowing here, but some recent finds that are all available.

Balenciaga 16 1/2
DSC02938.jpg

DSC02940.jpg

New Orvis brushed cotton size L made in the good ol' U S of izAy. Think this must be NOS.
DSC02805-1.jpg

DSC02807-1.jpg

Zegna hidden button down collar size Med. Smoke MOPs.
DSC02810.jpg

DSC02812.jpg

DSC02814.jpg

Funky Paul Smith London plaid. 17x33.
DSC03098.jpg

DSC03101.jpg

DSC03099.jpg

Old school Woolrich blanket coat size L.
DSC03065.jpg

DSC03067.jpg

Polo Ralph Lauren unstructured navy blazer. Tagged XL. Basically new condition as the vents are still sewn shut.
DSC03042.jpg

DSC03043.jpg

DSC03044.jpg

DSC03013.jpg

DSC03012.jpg

Samuelsohn Houndstooth. 44 Short
DSC02494.jpg

DSC02497.jpg

DSC02502.jpg

DSC02503.jpg

DSC02504.jpg

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing mindblowing here, but some recent finds that are all available.
Balenciaga 16 1/2
DSC02938.jpg

DSC02940.jpg

New Orvis brushed cotton size L made in the good ol' U S of izAy. Think this must be NOS.
DSC02805-1.jpg

DSC02807-1.jpg

Zegna hidden button down collar size Med. Smoke MOPs.
DSC02810.jpg

DSC02812.jpg

DSC02814.jpg

Funky Paul Smith London plaid. 17x33.
DSC03098.jpg

DSC03101.jpg

DSC03099.jpg

Old school Woolrich blanket coat size L.
DSC03065.jpg

DSC03067.jpg

Polo Ralph Lauren unstructured navy blazer. Tagged XL. Basically new condition as the vents are still sewn shut.
DSC03042.jpg

DSC03043.jpg

DSC03044.jpg

DSC03013.jpg

DSC03012.jpg

Samuelsohn Houndstooth. 44 Short
DSC02494.jpg

DSC02497.jpg

DSC02502.jpg

DSC02503.jpg

DSC02504.jpg

Thank god none of those are my size. All very awesome!

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First Foray Into Art Harold Altman Sailboats 240/285 Signed. Can anyone tell me anything about this, and help w/ valuation? I've done my best and have surmised its probably worth between 300-3000 lol, im happy with either, but would much prefer the latter or close to it.

A quick poke around the web shows that his website (now run by his son, but not updated in forever) sells "Sailboats" for $900 - whether still available from the site, and/or at the same price, is unknown. Assuming that it is available at that price, as a reseller I would hope to get half that, at best... No auction records at artnet.com. A few at mutualart.com ranging $75 to $400 for other works by the same artist. I would inquire at the artists website as to whether it's available and at what price; find a gallery or dealer who represents him; try to sell it locally; keep it. I've gotten very lucky (turned a $50 purchase into $7500 for original Raymond Pettibon drawings) and alternately had zero luck (turned a $150 Howard Kanovitz litho into something gathering dust in my dining room even though his lithos list for $500 to $3000 on eBay). As another poster mentioned, an art auction might be your best bet, and on a good day hope to get more than you paid in the end.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I found one once at a Will that routinely prices things waaaay up. But it had slipped the net. And was cheeeeap. But I wasn't a fan of the jet logo and needed the cash. Easy flip for a massive profit. Early taste of the candy. Wish I could find one without the jet.

It's understated enough I'm going to live with it... the tie is awesome, among the best I've ever found. I've found cashmere ties before but this one is heavier and more substantial. Looks like one sold recently on the bay NWT for only like 40 bucks, so there isn't CRAZY crazy profit there, so it's definitely going to see some action in my closet. My only dilemma is how to wear it - the color is spring/summer but the cashmere is fall/winter! :puzzled:

I also found a pair of AE Coltons in 11E, black calf medallion captoe blucher. I need to try them on, but they'll 99% be available if anyone wants them. Mint shape, very little wear.

saw Savers is open today... might make an Independence Day run #FEEDTHEHABIT

There's a store or two here that's having 50% off everything today... :lol:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I have a lot of finds from awhile back that I haven't shared due to moving and all, but I found this today in my first Goodwill stop in ages. Pretty major rare grail find for me, and staying so hard in my closet it'll make your head spin!
2012-07-03_19-17-34_360.jpg

2012-07-03_19-18-24_346.jpg

I have not read anything since page 394 (in 100-post view) so I have no idea what the current topic of conversation is, but I trust this will be relevant. ;)

This is awesome. If you want to get rid of it, let me know :p

danne888

Reaction score
This Versace tie is a fake right? I paid under 1 $ and just had to take the chance even though i am pretty sure its a fake. Its missing the piece where you put the small end of the tie (dont know what its called in english). The 100 % silk tag also made me think fake but i have never held a real Versace tie and i thought it was worth the chance :) It feels like good quality and its definitely silk.

danne888

Reaction score
This Versace tie is a fake right? I paid under 1 $ and just had to take the chance even though i am pretty sure its a fake. Its missing the piece where you put the small end of the tie (dont know what its called in english). The 100 % silk tag also made me think fake but i have never held a real Versace tie and i thought it was worth the chance :) It feels like good quality and its definitely silk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads