• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"The greatest trick a troll ever pulled...was to convince the world that HE SO SRS."

WTF is your problem with me you... oh wait your an idiot who ended up harassing me and was subsequently blocked from the B&S forum for breaking the rules
facepalm.gif
. Get a life already! I give everyone a little crap on this thread all in good fun, but have had plenty of nice PM conversations with DM7 (and most other active posters) and highly highly doubt I am the cause of his stress.

Last edited:

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dark, why not just hide people's threads?
there are only about 5 guys that freq post on these threads that you need to block: horses_ass, brianpore etc
and all the **** talking magically disappears in a tiny box also they can't PM you (they don't know that because it still goes as "sent" on their end)

LOL

come on brah
gimme them measurements
i wanna turn that charvet shirt into an ascot

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Yeah, totes kidding! High five for getting!

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General question:
How do you prevent importing moths in your closet from thrifted items?

For me, I like to get them dry cleaned and then store them in a sealed suit bag with ceder blocks and ceder hangers. But they are so many natural fragrance that can keep moths away. If you don't want to take it to the cleaners, just use a suit brush to give the clothing a thorough brush. You can also use some wool safe spray cleaners. Or you can use a hand held vacuum to go over the clothes. I've yet to try that...try it out and share the results with us!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was just minding my own business today... thrifting, finding nothing. The usual. And I was about to leave the store, but my friend texted me and wanted to make plans. Since it was hot, I decided to have the text conversation indoors, rather than roast in my car. So I sat down in one of the chairs for sale and texted him for 10 minutes to figure out what we were going to do.

Then I got up. And started to head for the exit, but I saw a new rack. What's this?! A new rack, emerging from the back room, with clothes I have not yet seen?! Alright, so I took a look. Half of it was crap, but the other half looked like this:
Yns6q.jpg

Hmm. This has potential, I thought.

So I looked at the first jacket. 2 button hickey freeman navy blazer, missing the second button. Eh, normally I would leave this, but it was cheap and despite the lack of fabric tag definitely felt like 100% cashmere. So I pulled it off the rack.
2lxSH.jpg

Next was another hickey freeman jacket, this one dual vent and tagged 100% camel hair. Sweet pattern, low price, so I grabbed it.
bTA8x.jpg

Now this one intrigued me. I could tell it was well made, and this is where i started to get excited. Sho nuff, saint andrews.
I23F3.jpg

iem9U.jpg

So I quickly yanked it and moved to the next jacket. Oxxford crest! Sweet. Orphaned suit jacket technically, but dual vent and ticket pocket, so should make a great sportcoat. On to the next!
dqzI1.jpg

cHPhe.jpg

This one got me really excited. Dark green, silk, dual vent, and what brand? Cifonelli? WTF.That was unexpected.
RjehR.jpg

b0ykq.jpg

Then I felt something sick. Something so balla that I almost threw down the other jackets I was carrying to inspect it. Could it be... YES
HdESQ.jpg

fakDt.jpg

wKYjt.jpg

Side vented and in perfect f'ing condition no less! How could this get any better?!?! Oh... like this
3RMqz.jpg

ROaQq.jpg

100% silk brioni sportcoat, mint and recent? yes please I think I'll take that too. And then there was one last thing at the end of the rack.

0M6kZ.jpg

A lonely oxxford sovereign cashmere pair of pants and vest, without their comrade jacket. Alas, despite going in the back and looking through the rest of the clothes waiting to come out, I couldn't find it. But maybe it will turn up. Total cost: around 100 bucks.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, I saw the same TRIPP NYC shirt at my local thrift a couple of days ago. Im in Northern CA. Weird.
Lol, I got it at Time Zone, I believe. I think this shirt reminds me of what My Chemical Romance wore on their The Black Parade album. I rare wear that thing though...

Shiny

Reaction score

Let's play a game to lighten up the mood a bit. Name reasons why Goodwill would make the perfect girlfriend. I'll start:
1. Donations are always gladly accepted at the rear

She's ok with you staying a long time or just go in for a quickie.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mainy

Wow!!!!

:wow:

I'd make a stake-out there tomorrow to see if any more of this guy's donations float out. Usually when there's more than 2-3 jackets/suits, it means they cleaned house and this could be one of those motherlode finds!

This is also a prefect example of what makes thrifting so unpredictable. This was a case of perfect timing. If you would have left, this rack would have rolled out and you would have never known. I've had similar situations happen too. I'm checking out and as they're looking for a bag for my purchases, I see a rack roll out that has potential. Sure enough they did.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who the hell's sending critical PMs about what someone does with their thrifted clothes? I WANT NAMES!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads