• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
^^^ Wow!! I've never heard of them but they have the look to be something amazing.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107417
lurker[1].gif

damn! was def thinking you knew exactly what I was dealing with :)

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mainy
Wow!!!!
:wow:
I'd make a stake-out there tomorrow to see if any more of this guy's donations float out. Usually when there's more than 2-3 jackets/suits, it means they cleaned house and this could be one of those motherlode finds!

Yeah... i was thinking about that. It kind of felt like this was it though, simply because they had like 10 other racks on the sales floor plus the ones from the back I looked through and I saw nothing else from this dude. But it's possible they might have donated several big bags of stuff and they just hadn't gotten to the other ones yet. I'll be going back every day, but I won't hold my breath :foo: My main advantage is that this IS my day job so I can beat the people who head there after work.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She doesn't get jealous when you go see 2, maybe 3 others in the same night.

She's ok with you staying a long time or just go in for a quickie.

Last edited:

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

ATTENTION AUDIOPHILES

what say ye?

:slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:

I'd say I hope you bought them if they were reasonably priced.

So I was just minding my own business today... thrifting, finding nothing. The usual. And I was about to leave the store, but my friend texted me and wanted to make plans. Since it was hot, I decided to have the text conversation indoors, rather than roast in my car. So I sat down in one of the chairs for sale and texted him for 10 minutes to figure out what we were going to do.
Then I got up. And started to head for the exit, but I saw a new rack. What's this?! A new rack, emerging from the back room, with clothes I have not yet seen?! Alright, so I took a look. Half of it was crap, but the other half looked like this:
Yns6q.jpg

Hmm. This has potential, I thought.
So I looked at the first jacket. 2 button hickey freeman navy blazer, missing the second button. Eh, normally I would leave this, but it was cheap and despite the lack of fabric tag definitely felt like 100% cashmere. So I pulled it off the rack.
2lxSH.jpg

Next was another hickey freeman jacket, this one dual vent and tagged 100% camel hair. Sweet pattern, low price, so I grabbed it.
bTA8x.jpg

Now this one intrigued me. I could tell it was well made, and this is where i started to get excited. Sho nuff, saint andrews.
I23F3.jpg

iem9U.jpg

So I quickly yanked it and moved to the next jacket. Oxxford crest! Sweet. Orphaned suit jacket technically, but dual vent and ticket pocket, so should make a great sportcoat. On to the next!
dqzI1.jpg

cHPhe.jpg

This one got me really excited. Dark green, silk, dual vent, and what brand? Cifonelli? WTF.That was unexpected.
RjehR.jpg

b0ykq.jpg

Then I felt something sick. Something so balla that I almost threw down the other jackets I was carrying to inspect it. Could it be... YES
HdESQ.jpg

fakDt.jpg

wKYjt.jpg

Side vented and in perfect f'ing condition no less! How could this get any better?!?! Oh... like this
3RMqz.jpg

ROaQq.jpg

100% silk brioni sportcoat, mint and recent? yes please I think I'll take that too. And then there was one last thing at the end of the rack.
0M6kZ.jpg

A lonely oxxford sovereign cashmere pair of pants and vest, without their comrade jacket. Alas, despite going in the back and looking through the rest of the clothes waiting to come out, I couldn't find it. But maybe it will turn up. Total cost: around 100 bucks.

WOW

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RLPL + Brioni = swagtits

So I was just minding my own business today... thrifting, finding nothing. The usual. And I was about to leave the store, but my friend texted me and wanted to make plans. Since it was hot, I decided to have the text conversation indoors, rather than roast in my car. So I sat down in one of the chairs for sale and texted him for 10 minutes to figure out what we were going to do.
Then I got up. And started to head for the exit, but I saw a new rack. What's this?! A new rack, emerging from the back room, with clothes I have not yet seen?! Alright, so I took a look. Half of it was crap, but the other half looked like this:
Yns6q.jpg

So I looked at the first jacket. 2 button hickey freeman navy blazer, missing the second button. Eh, normally I would leave this, but it was cheap and despite the lack of fabric tag definitely felt like 100% cashmere. So I pulled it off the rack.
2lxSH.jpg

Next was another hickey freeman jacket, this one dual vent and tagged 100% camel hair. Sweet pattern, low price, so I grabbed it.
bTA8x.jpg

Now this one intrigued me. I could tell it was well made, and this is where i started to get excited. Sho nuff, saint andrews.
I23F3.jpg

iem9U.jpg

So I quickly yanked it and moved to the next jacket. Oxxford crest! Sweet. Orphaned suit jacket technically, but dual vent and ticket pocket, so should make a great sportcoat. On to the next!
dqzI1.jpg

cHPhe.jpg

This one got me really excited. Dark green, silk, dual vent, and what brand? Cifonelli? WTF.That was unexpected.
RjehR.jpg

b0ykq.jpg

Then I felt something sick. Something so balla that I almost threw down the other jackets I was carrying to inspect it. Could it be... YES
HdESQ.jpg

fakDt.jpg

wKYjt.jpg

Side vented and in perfect f'ing condition no less! How could this get any better?!?! Oh... like this
3RMqz.jpg

ROaQq.jpg

100% silk brioni sportcoat, mint and recent? yes please I think I'll take that too. And then there was one last thing at the end of the rack.
0M6kZ.jpg

A lonely oxxford sovereign cashmere pair of pants and vest, without their comrade jacket. Alas, despite going in the back and looking through the rest of the clothes waiting to come out, I couldn't find it. But maybe it will turn up. Total cost: around 100 bucks.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yns6q.jpg
2lxSH.jpg

bTA8x.jpg

I23F3.jpg

iem9U.jpg

dqzI1.jpg

cHPhe.jpg

RjehR.jpg

b0ykq.jpg

HdESQ.jpg

fakDt.jpg

wKYjt.jpg

3RMqz.jpg

ROaQq.jpg

0M6kZ.jpg

A "hard on" forming haul, hit that place for next two days, make a timely entrance, slip round the back and if anyone asks, say you need to tinkle real bad and was looking for the restroom.

That Brioni is attractive and recent, a top find, possibly the best I seen in a while. RLPL aint too shabby either.

Last edited:

Samuel Smith

Reaction score

:slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:
I'd say I hope you bought them if they were reasonably priced.
WOW

Well -- I think the thrift store knew that they were dealing with some of the nicest high end American made speakers. They were priced @ 300$. I don't have a supporting cast for this caliber of equipment (I'm running a sony sound bar in my living room) but I knew, even without a google, that I had some nice quality speakers on hand.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to echo what everyone else said: awesome haul mainy, especially that black/blue oxxford. :slayer: 44 or 46 by any chance?

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

General question:
How do you prevent importing moths in your closet from thrifted items?

Dry cleaning. Keep them out of the house until then. Anyone disagree, or were you trying not to feed the troll?

dudes
we gotta stop with this bickering ****.

+1. Boooooriiiiiiing. I've defended DM7 before and voiced concern he'd take his cool **** for us to drool over elsewhere. Sad to see that's happening now. But I also gree with Spoo: Life's too short. Eliminate the stresses you can eliminate. If that's us, kick us to the curb.

Although she might smell strange a times, she always good for a cheap thrill.

We should be doing a running tally. But I'm too tired/lazy.

Oh, yeah, and: I always feel a little tingle of excitement on my way in, and spent and dirty on my way out.

Both of you, know what the **** you are talking about.
And if you want to hear about having no time to do anything, try walking a week in my shoes.

Finding balance in this whole hobby has also been hard for me. But I echo what's already been said. Personally I adhere to the modified automobile business model (low margin on 80% items at high turnaround/volume; 20% items slow burn, high profit (i.e., accounting for 80% of profit)). Even Mainy and the others, cited as having a "high price, slow burn" business model aren't purists; they start many of their auctions at 99 cents no reserve. As for selling to dudes here: It should be no surprise that folks here have a low price tolerance. By DEFINITION we're either so effing cash strapped or so cheap we've eschewed the accepted and mainstream retail distribution channels to dark, moldering thrift stores, for chrissakes. And also +1 to the guy who said 2 hours per day max. An unbalanced life is an unhappy life.

Had a great day thrifting with Gmmcl, .... also what are most likely the sexest shoes I've ever thrifted!

+1. Had an awesome time, and Easy's an awesome dude, with serious treasure-hunting skills. And those shoes are balls! I was about to tackle you and pry them from your cold, dead hands until you said they were 11.5! :facepalm:

Mainy: :bounce2::inlove: I know who's Ebay store I'll be watching over the next week or two.... Any of those 42R, by chance?? Nice!

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, the game was to say why she'd make the perfect girlfriend....not why she's like my current girlfriend.

Oh, yeah, and: I always feel a little tingle of excitement on my way in, and spent and dirty on my way out.

Last edited:

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Well -- I think the thrift store knew that they were dealing with some of the nicest high end American made speakers. They were priced @ 300$. I don't have a supporting cast for this caliber of equipment (I'm running a sony sound bar in my living room) but I knew, even without a google, that I had some nice quality speakers on hand.

$300 is very high--about what you'd pay for a perfect pair from eBay--especially if they are the model with the foam surrounds, and the foam surrounds haven't been replaced. Too bad. Would have been awesome if you were able to pick those up on the cheap.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Still a steal! I'm sure those resell for $700+. After reading the reviews I'd love to have a set in the mancave. Sounds like you bought them, so enjoy and let me know your review!

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I got a personal grail find today. I'm pretty much obsessed with W.W. Chan & Sons, and I still seriously lament over the fact that I sold off 3 that I picked up a long time ago that probably would have worked for me, but I didn't know jack **** about tailoring at the time thinking they wouldn't fit me, so I unloaded them.

Well, look what I found today...

drool.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
drool.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
drool.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
drool.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
drool.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

And check this ****...

THIS IS DIRECTLY FROM THE STORE, ONTO MY BODY...NOT A SINGLE STITCH OF TAILORING DONE YET!!!

Sure, the jacket is a *teensy* bit short (also, I'm shrugging my shoulders slightly so it's a bit less short than it appears), but *******. The jacket fit is otherwise PERFECT, and the suit overall is almost perfect in every other way: tapered leg, side vented, soft shoulder (pants are pleated, hence the almost, but still...). This is my white whale.

There is a thrifting Zeus, and that dude is smiling down on me. The only depressing part is that this is definitely from the same owner as the others (absolutely pristine, name crossed out in marker, bought from the same store), so that means the other 3 would have been workable for me if I had know wtf I was doing back when I found them.
facepalm.gif
. Oh, well, nothing can rain on my parade on this one. Soooo excited.

Last edited:

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Mainy, living the fresh out of the back rack dream. Slow clap welles meme and all dat. Most excerrent. :slayer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads