• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you enjoy re-visiting your old clothes in the thrift store? I was there today, and all I could find of any value was a sportcoat I donated two weeks ago. I admired it again and wished it luck

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Picked up a vintage US Navy peacoat today. From what I've been able to find it's probably ca. 1950s. Needs some stiching to the collar and a dry cleaning and it should be good to go.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up a black brooksease jacket yesterday for $35. It was a little more than I would have wanted to pay (and I didn't have a huge interest in black) but the fit was amazing and condition looked mint other than some tearing in the sleeve lining.

It is clearly an orphan but I think it could be made to work as a jacket (would I need to switch the buttons?). I also thought it wouldn't be so hard to find a pair of brooksease pants since they are sold as separates but it looks like they do not make them in black now and I didnt see any used ones on ebay.

treegarden

Reaction score
Two scores this week.

1. A. Testoni wingtips from Yoox for $265. Not sure of list price but it's gotta be at least twice that.
2. Barbour Border jacket from Aaron's of Eastham for $245 (reg. $389).

Having now bragged to an appreciative audience, I feel that the transactions are complete!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrifting has been really ****** around here lately. Yesterday I found out there was going to be a Children's hospital benefit garage sale today (one of those HUGE ones that are held in a big, open building. This one was held in a hockey arena). It was about the size of your average thrift shop. Got up at 5:45 and got there about 6:30. $3 admission, $30 price tag (it was in their "boutique" section, plus 1/2 an hour waiting in line to get in got me this:
P1000869.jpg
P1000871.jpg
P1000872.jpg
P1000873.jpg
Too bad summers almost over.....but there's always next year! Got some workhorse Orvis shirts as well. There wasn't that much else there, but I feel some other guys may have snatched stuff up before I got a chance to look. A bunch of Hamilton custom shirts and BB stuff.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 'only' find during the week was a decent pair of black captoes with the slightest hint of broguing, but I got them home and took a better look and found they were Edward Greens
colgate.gif

Two trips out this today - one in the morning to a three-weekly thrift. Some old bespoke but nothing in my size (very cool mohair suit though), but I picked up a pair of RTW Foster & Sons black Oxfords to flip.

This afternoon I did a shortened version of my usual loop. Little of note - the only items that spring to mind were a pair of RLPL shoes (marked Made in England, and with lasted shoe trees, but very lightweight construction - unlined in the heel), but at £65 a bit much, and two brand new Ballantyne cashmere sportcoats, but expensive and too short in the sleeve for me.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Thrifting has been really ****** around here lately. Yesterday I found out there was going to be a Children's hospital benefit garage sale today (one of those HUGE ones that are held in a big, open building. This one was held in a hockey arena). It was about the size of your average thrift shop. Got up at 5:45 and got there about 6:30. $3 admission, $30 price tag (it was in their "boutique" section, plus 1/2 an hour waiting in line to get in got me this:

P1000869.jpg

That's a nice coat, and I bet it's one of those hard-to-photograph patterns that look even better in person.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
My best purchase was a Ghurka Cavalier IV at a Value Village for $9.95. It was vintage in a tattersall pattern treated canvas with leather trim in near perfect condition. I ended up getting rid of it as my trips are really short. I rarely ever have more than a carry on, but it was a great deal. If you haven't seen the vintage tattersall pattern I found in on a ghurka backpack listed on ebay.

Ghurka Cavalier IV
cav4.jpg

ghurka backpack in the older tattersall pattern in treated canvas
tattersall.jpg

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At Goodwill today, three pairs of wingtips. Black bal shortwing J&M Optima, Banana Republic greyish tan blucher shortwings, Nettleton light tan longwings 9EEE. All in very good to excellent shape. Total was $9.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Deacon
At Goodwill today, three pairs of wingtips. Black bal shortwing J&M Optima, Banana Republic greyish tan blucher shortwings, Nettleton light tan longwings 9EEE. All in very good to excellent shape. Total was $9.
Nice, mine is not nearly that cheap.

Yesterday I picked up a pair of captoe bostonians in a really dark (burgandy?) brown for $9. Not the nicest things in the world but I am trying to grow my shoe collection with more brown shoes and they fit great and were practically unworn (they are full leather soles). I also grabbed 2 shirts from J. Crew and Alfani mainly because I really liked the colors (quality wise they are nothing special...the alfani has a nice slim fit to it).

Today I picked up a brooks brothers blue blazer. It's a very BB 3-roll-2 with brass buttons. $10 with some pants (they were BB but from a different line and clearly a different fabric and significantly smaller size). I let her keep the pants to resell in exchange for the wooden hanger it was on.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
That's a nice coat, and I bet it's one of those hard-to-photograph patterns that look even better in person.
Yep, 'tis that. This may end up being for sale though, as the arms are a bit short and there's not much more material to be let out....

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hadamulletonce
My best purchase was a Ghurka Cavalier IV at a Value Village for $9.95. It was vintage in a tattersall pattern treated canvas with leather trim in near perfect condition. I ended up getting rid of it as my trips are really short. I rarely ever have more than a carry on, but it was a great deal. If you haven't seen the vintage tattersall pattern I found in on a ghurka backpack listed on ebay.

ghurka backpack in the older tattersall pattern in treated canvas
tattersall.jpg

Very nice. I think 'houndstooth' is what you're after rather than tattersall.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Someone dropped a bunch of Brooks Brothers jackets at my local thrift. I picked up a nice BB camel hair jacket for $5.99. Anyone know when Brooks stopped doing 2 button cuffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads