1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

Most are dated or just really ugly, but so is most everything else in the thrift store. You can find very, very nice ties thrifting as some recent posts have illustrated very clearly. My tie racks floweth over with thrift ties of very high quality.

Agreeance. Here are some of the ties I have thrifted over the last 3 months. I sold at least this many.

[​IMG]

2. whusurdadi

whusurdadi Well-Known Member

10 new pairs of 2xist no show brief at Lot Less, 3.99 for each underpant!

used underwear...ugh![​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Well-Known Member

Went scrounging with my brother yesterday and came up on the positive side, after weeks of not much. First, we found a custom (dated 1990) Charvet shirt that fits him better than his own custom shirts, $9.99. He's quite happy!

Then, a pair of Lattanzi for Ultimo black calfskin monkstraps in rather nice shape, for $12.99. Way too big for either one of us, marked "11" on the sole, which may be the UK size since they seem larger than that. They might reappear on B & S, or on the thrift trade thread. I'd like a trade for comparable shoes, but my Lilliputian size (7/7.5 eee US , or 6/6.5 G UK) makes that unlikely.

What's current retail of comparable new Lattanzi's? Breathtaking, no doubt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

^^^ Very nice! Those shoes are gorgeous!

I had some decent luck today on my thrift route.

- Hickey Freeman Collection (For Saks) windowpane suit, 44R
    - Burberry Suit (For Saks) brown striped suit, 46R
    - NWOT women's Nice Collective jacket for my fiance
    - Authentic (I think...any experts on LV?) Louis Vuitton tote bag.
    - Holland and Sherry custom striped shirt (From Tom James, IIRC)

I'll post up photos tomorrow (friend is borrowing my camera). The LV has real leather, has "Louis Vuitton Paris. Made in France" embossed into the leather on the side of the bag (exterior) and on the inside under the zip compartment. All fakes I've run across don't use real leather and fail to mention Louis Vuitton anywhere else on the bag besides the monogram pattern. The only thing that makes me think it may not be real is the brasshard finish on the hardware is wearing off a bit, as the bag looks to be at least 10-15 years old. Doesn't LV use real brass hardware?

If it does turn out to be fake, it'll be a $10.99 lesson well learned.

5. VABeethoven

VABeethoven Member

Made a quick stop at the local SA/Goodwill today--they are right next to each other. Found 3 very nice Turnbull & Asser shirts, a couple of Lorenzinis and a couple of Zegnas-too small @ 15/38 but too nice to leave. [​IMG] I'll probably put those up in the thrift trade or B&S threads, so let me know if you've got a need and we'll figure something out. First T&A shirts I've found, really wish they fit. Passed on a Canali Proposta jacket with a tiny moth hole on the front shoulder.

Then I went over to SA and checked out the pants. Found these which are lightly used and fit like they were made for me. $2.50!! [​IMG] They are really nice--No maker's label, just a white Nieman Marcus tag and a black "hand made in Italy" tag. Anybody got a guess as to maker?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. creampiggy

creampiggy Well-Known Member

Arrived at a popular thrift store at 7pm, fount a E. Zegna orphaned jacket with strips, Cashmere&wool, slightly too big for me; 2 Corneliani DB jackets, fits me perfect; a strange Gianni Versace tuxedo jacket; a pair of Pal Zileri dress pants in my size.

Finally a great sportcoat in my size, NWOT condition, pocket sewn shut, spare buttons inside inner pocket, and from the tag I believe it is from Zegna. Here are the photos, can anyone comment?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Went scrounging with my brother yesterday and came up on the positive side, after weeks of not much. First, we found a custom (dated 1990) Charvet shirt that fits him better than his own custom shirts, $9.99. He's quite happy!

Then, a pair of Lattanzi for Ultimo black calfskin monkstraps in rather nice shape, for $12.99. Way too big for either one of us, marked "11" on the sole, which may be the UK size since they seem larger than that. They might reappear on B & S, or on the thrift trade thread. I'd like a trade for comparable shoes, but my Lilliputian size (7/7.5 eee US , or 6/6.5 G UK) makes that unlikely.

let us know about those shoes, they're actually my size [​IMG]

8. 83glt

83glt Well-Known Member

Is anyone else finding thrifting a little weak these days? I know I am. I've not found anything of note over the last few weeks. Quite the dry spell for me.

9. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Well-Known Member

Is anyone else finding thrifting a little weak these days? I know I am. I've not found anything of note over the last few weeks. Quite the dry spell for me.

Pretty slow here. I guess when people aren't buying new things, they're not getting rid of the old things.

10. antirabbit

antirabbit Well-Known Member

Shit man, that is impressive.
    Measure the outsole for me?

I may take them off of you.

11. creampiggy

creampiggy Well-Known Member

I found it ok here. If I went to the store 5 hours earlier, I imagine that I could get much better result, considering the stuff I got are all picked over (orphaned jackets, small sizes). But I am quite satisfied with what I got today. I will probably post more photos later.

Can anyone help me identify the maker of the sportcoat I got?

[​IMG]

12. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

It's been slow for me too. Nothing really spectacular, unlike past years. I've come out empty handed quite a bit these past several weeks. Funny, as every time I go to the thrift the lines for the donations are quite long. Are they all just donating garbage or what?

13. Staatsoper

Outsole measurements look like 4-3/8" wide, 12-1/2" long. Light to moderate wear on the soles, but light on the heels, all original. Some scratches on the uppers here and there, nothing major. Very nice. If they were 2" shorter, but the same width, I could wear 'em! What are they, over $2K new? Good grief.
    Shit man, that is impressive. Measure the outsole for me? I may take them off of you.

14. mainy

mainy Well-Known Member

I found it ok here. If I went to the store 5 hours earlier, I imagine that I could get much better result, considering the stuff I got are all picked over (orphaned jackets, small sizes). But I am quite satisfied with what I got today. I will probably post more photos later.

Can anyone help me identify the maker of the sportcoat I got?

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3326/1001509n.jpgIMG][/I]

this looks like what i'm used to seeing in old giorgio armani, so vestimenta maybe? not sure

15. antirabbit

they'd fit me for sure.

16. Staatsoper

they'd fit me for sure.
    Great, I'll move them to B & S this weekend, and add more pix.

17. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

Great, I'll move them to B & S this weekend, and add more pix.

I'd like a peek at them as well...I get the feeling that antirabbit and I are the same size for clothing and shoes...not good for me because he's quicker at picking out the winners from B&S.[​IMG]

18. Hoofit

Hoofit Well-Known Member

Been slow on my thrift route. However I did see an interesting sport coat called "Five Eleven" Normal looking coat with holders for guns and ammo built into the inside. Still new with tags size 44R probably still there if anyone is interested in that kind of thing.

19. antirabbit

I'd like a peek at them as well...I get the feeling that antirabbit and I are the same size for clothing and shoes...not good for me because he's quicker at picking out the winners from B&S.[​IMG]

I have been put on a freeze by the wife....advantage moves to you....but I am creative.

20. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

I have been put on a freeze by the wife....advantage moves to you....but I am creative.

Buy it, ship it to office, keep in trunk of car for a while until the wife is in a good mood?

Don't ask how I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.