• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I just picked up something quite interesting. I've been getting killed at work and haven't had time to thrift at all, so I stopped for the first time since Friday and found this, which immediately struck me as really nice and relatively modern looking.

Then I look inside and see this:

Wow. Definitely did not expect that this jacket was nearly 50 years old!! it's in amazing condition for its age. There are no moth holes at all on the exterior (2 tiny ones in the lining), the only place that has a little bit of wear is one of the shoulders, and one of the hand sewn button holes has unraveled, but otherwise it's in very nice shape. But most perplexing to me is how modern it looks! Aside from the 3-buttons, nothing screams ancient about it...it's double side vented, has reasonable width lapels, etc. So my question is, can I get ANY info on this. It's definitely got all the hallmarks of a well made bespoke SR piece, but I've never heard of the SR maker so they're obviously (probably?) no longer around. Anyone got any info? Also, is this an orphaned suit jacket or an SC? I'll check tomorrow for the pants, but I didn't see them on a quick glance tonight. More pics below of the craftsmanship.

Last edited:

thrift-fu

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm really excited to have found this forum/thread! I love thrift store shopping, so browsing through everybody's finds helps to feed the habit when I'm at home. Here's a few things I found today.

Samuelsohn wool overcoat, 36 but it fits quite large.

A couple of ties.

Hugo Boss shirt, lightweight with 5% linen. 16/39 slim fit.

I'll end with a thrifting related question. I often browse the women's scarf section to find pocket squares. However, I sometimes have a hard time determining if an item is a pocket square or a scarf. If it is square in shape, and smaller in size, is it safe to say it's a pocket square, or does there tend to be scarves of similar shape/size?

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Looks Sc but would be quite the suit if it were. If it's a suit, also search the vest.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's weird, but I've been seeing tons of animal prints lately. Lots of stuff from BB and Vineyard Vines. Not sure why, but it's interesting.

Wall St. is finally catching up.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alright, so I just picked up something quite interesting.  I've been getting killed at work and haven't had time to thrift at all, so I stopped for the first time since Friday and found this, which immediately struck me as really nice and relatively modern looking.  

Then I look inside and see this:

Wow.  Definitely did not expect that this jacket was nearly 50 years old!!  it's in amazing condition for its age.  There are no moth holes at all on the exterior (2 tiny ones in the lining), the only place that has a little bit of wear is one of the shoulders, and one of the hand sewn button holes has unraveled, but otherwise it's in very nice shape. But most perplexing to me is how modern it looks!  Aside from the 3-buttons, nothing screams ancient about it...it's double side vented, has reasonable width lapels, etc.  So my question is, can I get ANY info on this.  It's definitely got all the hallmarks of a well made bespoke SR piece, but I've never heard of the SR maker so they're obviously (probably?) no longer around.  Anyone got any info?  Also, is this an orphaned suit jacket or an SC?  I'll check tomorrow for the pants, but I didn't see them on a quick glance tonight.  More pics below of the craftsmanship. 

Very nice

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@andro: Nice find!

Went to a few stores today. Picked up:

Fred Perry Wool Sweater
Lorenzini for Barney's Linen Shirt
Paul Smith Casual Button Down
E. Zegna Casual Button Down 85% Cotton 15% Cashmere
3 Solid Color Made in Italy silk handkerchiefs

And these French Cuffed bad boys, which I knew nothing about but are pretty nice.

Oh yeah, everything is up for grabs.

Last edited:

hmmurdock

Reaction score

Hope for you it is the Pal Zileri Sartoriale line, very nice stuff

+1 - PZ Sartoriale is excellent. Thrifted a brown pinstripe suit I've been working up the balls to wear to work. Sadly it's been sitting in my closet for about a year.

hmmurdock

Reaction score
I've been working on some new lighting techniques for my suit/jacket pics...

Zegna Couture 56L

Zegna Couture 58L

Found these in a bag in my trunk. Must have thrifted them a while back and forgotten about them. Both are relatively recent judging by the tags...unfortunately both are also labeled as suits.

And a couple more tie pics since there was just mention of J Press...check out the $10 price tag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members