• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's that Chipp jacket I found yesterday. As you can see, it is a most Spoo-licious pattern but I believe too big for him (22" ch, 18" sh, 31.5" l). So if any of you trads are interested, lemme know:

MattR

Reaction score
Here's a few things I picked up recently. Pretty long, so don't mind the spoilers.

(Also, are these pics better? I feel like they are an improvement, but feedback would be great!)

PRL light brown and blue check blazer w/ soft leather elbow patches. This is too big for me, so PM if you're interested in buying it.

Made in Italy
100% wool w/ 100% soft leather elbow patches
Flap patch pockets
3B, although the top button has a slight roll to it
Light shoulder padding, although not entirely unconstructed
Herringbone pattern
Tagged Size L
P2P = 21.75"
Waist = 20.5"
Arms = 26" w/ 1.25" between the cuff and lining
Shoulders = 19.25"
BOC = 32"

Viyella by Gant long sleeve red/white/blue plaid shirt. This is also too big for me, so PM if you're interested in buying.

55% Wool, 45% Cotton (traditional viyella cloth structure)
Very soft
Tailored in Hong Kong. It seems very recent, so it could have been done under Austin Reed's ownership.
Double breast pockets
Has room for collar stays
Size L
P2P = 23"
Waist = 22"
Arms = 24"
Shoulders = 19"
BOC = 32" @ the tapered end

HF Boardroom for Nordstrom navy 2B orphaned suit jacket, 42L. Depending on how a potential sale goes, this could be up for grabs in B&S soon.

Loro Piana Super 120's wool
Single vent
42L
BOC - 33"
Arms 26.75 (laying down)
1/2 chest = 22.25"
waist = 21.5"
Shoulders = 19.25"

These were all for me

Polo University Club 3-roll-2 navy suit

BB non-iron (yeah, yeah) blue stripe dress shirt

BB red w/ blue microdots tie. One for the soporific tie thread.

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, but good cause or not, my guess is that a company can get into a great deal of trouble for selling counterfeit goods, whether they know it or not (hell, ebay suspends individual user accounts when they're caught selling counterfeit goods, even if they didn't know they were counterfeit, and if this **** passes, no one will be safe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protect_IP_Act), so I'm sure they'd want to know if and when they sell illegal gear. It's honestly not about money or anything....I really don't care so much about that, but if this turns out to be pretty prevalent in their store, that should be concerning to them. I probably really won't ask for a refund, but I'm going to give it back to them and let them know what's going on.

Really going to return to the Salvation Army because it's fake, thats pretty crappy imo. The SA is "suppose" to be for a good cause, not for you to make money flipping or only find super expensive clothes for a few bucks. Last time I checked I didn't see a sign that said "100% Authentic" anywhere in the store. Cough it up to a learning experience, burn it, give it to a homeless person, sell it on eBay, whatever, but it wasn't the SA's fault you bought something that was "fake" (it is still a real piece of clothing just not the brand you wanted).

nest.gif

On that same note, I think I'm going to return this D&G tie I spent $1 on because it's fake and I don't know how to spell Gabbana
facepalm.gif

That tie is hilarious. It's astounding how little some fakes care to even try replicating the company they're faking...even spelling the name right is too much effort for some, I suppose.

Last edited:

amadar

Reaction score

Here's a few things I picked up recently. Pretty long, so don't mind the spoilers.
(Also, are these pics better? I feel like they are an improvement, but feedback would be great!)
PRL light brown and blue check blazer w/ soft leather elbow patches. This is too big for me, so PM if you're interested in buying it.
Made in Italy
100% wool w/ 100% soft leather elbow patches
Flap patch pockets
3B, although the top button has a slight roll to it
Light shoulder padding, although not entirely unconstructed
Herringbone pattern
Tagged Size L
P2P = 21.75"
Waist = 20.5"
Arms = 26" w/ 1.25" between the cuff and lining
BOC = 32"

Viyella by Gant long sleeve red/white/blue plaid shirt. This is also too big for me, so PM if you're interested in buying.
55% Wool, 45% Cotton (traditional viyella cloth structure)
Very soft
Made in Hong Kong. It seems very recent, so it could have been done under Austin Reed's ownership.
Double breast pockets
Has room for collar stays
Size L
P2P = 23"
Waist = 22"
Arms = 24"
BOC = 32" @ the tapered end

HF Boardroom for Nordstrom navy 2B orphaned suit jacket, 42L. Depending on how a potential sale goes, this could be up for grabs in B&S soon.
Loro Piana Super 120's wool
Single vent
42L
BOC - 33"
Arms 26.75 (laying down)
1/2 chest = 22.25"
waist = 21.5"

These were all for me
Polo University Club 3-roll-2 navy suit

BB non-iron (yeah, yeah) blue stripe dress shirt

BB red w/ blue microdots tie. One for the soporific tie thread.

FYI, you are omitting the most important measurement on all of these, which is the shoulder. Tough to guage a fit on a Suit/SC without knowing the shoulder seam to seam specs. :teach:

Last edited:

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is still a real sweater. Believe it or not, people do go into these stores because they truly can not afford close elsewhere and aren't just going in to find "name" brand items. They are purchasing items because they want to stay warm... And it is always about the money.

True, but good cause or not, my guess is that a company can get into a great deal of trouble for selling counterfeit goods, whether they know it or not (hell, ebay suspends individual user accounts when they're caught selling counterfeit goods, even if they didn't know they were counterfeit), so I'm sure they'd want to know if and when they sell illegal gear. It's honestly not about money or anything....I really don't care so much about that, but if this turns out to be pretty prevalent in their store, that should be concerning to them. I probably really won't ask for a refund, but I'm going to give it back to them and let them know what's going on.

That tie is hilarious. It's astounding how little some fakes care to even try replicating the company they're faking...even spelling the name right is too much effort for some, I suppose.

MattR

Reaction score

FYI, you are omitting the most important measurement on all of these, which is the shoulder. Tough to guage a fit on a Suit/SC without knowing the shoulder seam to seam specs. :teach:

Oh ****! Thanks for pointing that out! I have them written down, I just can't believe I skipped over it. :fu:

::EDIT:: Added the shoulders. :embar:

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that, but the government looks at selling an otherwise "real sweater" with another company's label slapped on it very differently, and less kindly, regardless of how good the intentions were in selling it.

It is still a real sweater. Believe it or not, people do go into these stores because they truly can not afford close elsewhere and aren't just going in to find "name" brand items. They are purchasing items because they want to stay warm... And it is always about the money.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, but I think in this case we are dealing with different circumstances. It is a mission store that donates their time and money (they aren't making a profit on these items), not the lady at the flea market that's selling the Foach and Slouis Vuitton. Just my 2 cents.

I understand that, but the government looks at selling an otherwise "real sweater" with another company's label slapped on it very differently, and less kindly, regardless of how good the intentions were in selling it.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
True, but good cause or not, my guess is that a company can get into a great deal of trouble for selling counterfeit goods, whether they know it or not (hell, ebay suspends individual user accounts when they're caught selling counterfeit goods, even if they didn't know they were counterfeit, and if this **** passes, no one will be safe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protect_IP_Act), so I'm sure they'd want to know if and when they sell illegal gear. It's honestly not about money or anything....I really don't care so much about that, but if this turns out to be pretty prevalent in their store, that should be concerning to them. I probably really won't ask for a refund, but I'm going to give it back to them and let them know what's going on.

Come on, seriously!? You really think that SA cares that they are "selling counterfeit goods" of a sweater you could not even tell if it was fake and had to ask other people? You have to be kidding yourself, and shouldn't even waste there time. You know how many fake Lacoste and Polo shirts I see every time I go? SA takes donated clothes, prices them super lower so people who are a little less fortunate can afford to have some new clothes and keep warm in the winter. If you think they care that some guy who is not shopping there because he has to be, but only to look for high end items or to flip stuff for a profit, finds something "fake" and then complains about it, your thought process of the Salvation Army is totally off and you should shop elsewhere.

That being said, it would be totally different if they had a Tom Ford suit that they were advertising as real and selling for $100's which is not real. I am sure they would a) want to know and b) be liable for selling a fake item (although they prob did not know it was fake to start with). In that situation, they are then making a representation of the item being sold as one thing and profiting off that false representation. It is totally different to have a sweater priced fir a few bucks (like all the other sweaters), which you thought was real, and was not exactly what you thought it was.

Xenos

Reaction score
From Black Friday, all my size:

Etro navy linen Nehru jacket, Made in Italy:

A Zegna suit for Saks; double-vented, flat-front pants, silk and wool; (bought the pants a couple of months ago, Nataku helped me identify them as Zegna; found the jacket in another branch a few days ago)

Cesare Attolini suit; double-vented, 120s, surgeon's cuffs. Best find ever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads