• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Imo vintage Hilfiger = colorblock, big logo... if I want blackwatch I'm not thinking "hmmm, hilfiger..." amiright?
Yes. Logos sell huge. Logo jackets sell for more. Nautical themed or technical heavy logo **** sells for a **** load too. I have a vtg Hilfiger jacket that just went on eBay for $250 I'll gladly post an image of on here to show. But he made a post about vintage polo blackwatch pants, I said I was gonna show him an image of some vintage blackwatch pants that were Hilfiger which isn't as collectable as vtg Polo ****, but has a following nonetheless. I did, then was referencing the tag as the type of Hilfiger you're looking for.....also if anyone wants that jacket message me. I don't want it and I don't want to post/sell it.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was checking some out the other day as well. I think everyone here should post their hauls in this format at least once - would be amusing to see how everyone else pronounces Ermenegildo Zegna...poor guy thinks Savile Row brand is the same as made on Savile Row, but he kopped Brioni so who knows.
IMO the fewer videos, the better. My worst fear would be a popular reality TV show about thrifting menswear. I'm hoping for less competition, not more.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
not much thrifting action, save for some fodder. but i did find these at an antique mall which are pretty damn awesome.

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I like how they have a little Doily / Skirt on that bottle of Window Cleaning Solution.

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read below

My absolute favorite ******* book. I got it on audiobook just to pass out to. The first time I've ever heard someone who effortlessly pronounced Ermen-Gildo Zen-ya correctly. The chapter dedicated strictly to his closet/wardrobe is the best piece of writing I've ever read.

I literally just had the pleats removed from a pair of suit pants. It's worth the cost if they turn out like mine did. It's worth the cost if you can afford to take the loss too (i.e. only gamble with what you can afford to lose). It's a complicated alteration. Every tailor will tell you they can do it and every tailor should know how, but there's a difference between knowing how or knowing how to do it well and make your pants look good. If you are confident with your tailor, then go for it. Shoulders can be taken care of also but your having someone take apart and dissect the most complicated tailored aspect of your jacket and removing material that was put there during construction, then had the jacket shaped and then tailored around their presence....meaning you can get **** taken out of the shoulders all you want, there's zero guarantee they are going to fit you properly or the way they did, or the way you want, afterwords...and if the shoulders don't fit you, you just opened a box of **** cuz here come the alterations that cost the real money and your gonna have to do it because you have already invested so much. As far as changing it to a 3 roll 2? No. Just not a good idea. First, that jacket was tailored for a 3 button front stance. Thus the lapels were cut, tailored, hand pressed, and folded in a certain proportion to best compliment the design and taper to the top button perfectly. Pressing that lapel into a 3/2 is going to offset the balance of the jacket completely and you're going to take a gorgeous Zegna Trofeo wool jacket and ******* up. Traditionally, the notch should hit halfway between the lapel fold and your shoulder seam then taper according to the button stance, now obviously this by no means is the norm for every suit, especially not for skinny lapels etc.. point being there is a blueprint in order to make sure everything is balanced and compliments each other. Pants are easy. Jackets are not. Huge shot in the dark. Sounds to me like you should flip the thing and buy something you like from the start. Nothing looks worse then a blazer that is either tailored poorly, fits poorly, doesn't work with what your wearing, or is just ******* ugly. Conclusion: Do what you want, but just know this isn't a needle and thread job, this is a hatchet and goggles job, it's ******* messy, there will be blood, and there are zero guarantees.

Not sure if you're speaking from experience but I experimented pressing (myself) some jackets to 3 roll 2 and it worked perfectly. Now I don't know how to explain it with proper words but they weren't ugly old hard 3 that we see sometimes (those ones I wouldn't even touch them) but I had the feeling it could work on the ones I had (including a Kiton lol). Instead of pressing like a douche on a hard surface I just tried to give them a typical Neapolitan shape (by puttin another tube shaped towel inside the roll of the lapel), where the lapels just have a continuous "rolling" shape and not just looks like a solid 2 buttons (not sure if I make sense guys, sorry, lost in ******* translation there). Anyway, on my Kiton it looks perfect ^^

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you're speaking from experience but I experimented pressing (myself) some jackets to 3 roll 2 and it worked perfectly. Now I don't know how to explain it with proper words but they weren't ugly old hard 3 that we see sometimes (those ones I wouldn't even touch them) but I had the feeling it could work on the ones I had (including a Kiton lol). Instead of pressing like a douche on a hard surface I just tried to give them a typical Neapolitan shape (by puttin another tube shaped towel inside the roll of the lapel), where the lapels just have a continuous "rolling" shape and not just looks like a solid 2 buttons (not sure if I make sense guys, sorry, lost in ******* translation there). Anyway, on my Kiton it looks perfect ^^

I know the lapel roll you're referring too and it's a highly desired look. You see that from Italy to Savile Row, bespoke tailored suits with a 3/2 button closure have that nice role to them, not a firm creases. The firm crease is to ensure it keeps it's shape, the others have the soft roll due to the fact it's hand crafted thus further measure to ensure it keeps it shape is unneeded, plus it looks amazing when done well. Personally as far as the jacket conversation is regarded, no, I would never change a 3 button to a 2 button. I buy 3/2 suits to begin with because I like that aforementioned role, not that that is the point here, but I would never buy anything with the intentions of completely restructuring it and with things like suit jackets, the risk in alterations are far too high and the designs and proportions are too thought out and put together to **** around with. And I'm only talking about good **** here.

Bahljs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First sign your not doing it right, your buying stuff you know nothing about, just think it's probably worth money. Second, your someone whose rational stems from what you wish for or what you want to be true i.e. a ****** businessman unable to separate emotion and desire with realistic thinking/rational though and not making decisions based on how the world actually ******* works. And he doesn't pronounce Savile Row or Bespoke correctly either, as well as purchases garments he doesn't even know what the tag says. How in the **** do these people make money operating the way they do. I can't imagine the amount of **** they probably leave behind. And if he did this and didn't know Brioni, i'd throw my computer. How in the **** do people start into business ventures/sped their time and money dedicated to supporting themselves and their family, and not learn the industry they are working in front to back? There's noob thrifters and that I get, there's people like this whose kids need cheerios and ninja turtle toys and he doesn't take the time to approach it like such. Zero respect for people like that. If it's your life and your livelihood, you should be a ******* professional and approach it as such. Be truly ready before you even begin otherwise your just gonna lose your family's money. Lawyers don't take the bar a couple years after practicing, your dentist doesn't go home and study to get his dental license after giving you a filling, and your doctor isn't still in med school.
Dude there's a whole circle of these guys on YouTube, supporting themselves (I guess) from just doing this. Most sound just like this guy. I don't get it.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First sign your not doing it right, your buying stuff you know nothing about, just think it's probably worth money. Second, your someone whose rational stems from what you wish for or what you want to be true i.e. a ****** businessman unable to separate emotion and desire with realistic thinking/rational though and not making decisions based on how the world actually ******* works. And he doesn't pronounce Savile Row or Bespoke correctly either, as well as purchases garments he doesn't even know what the tag says. How in the **** do these people make money operating the way they do. I can't imagine the amount of **** they probably leave behind. And if he did this and didn't know Brioni, i'd throw my computer. How in the **** do people start into business ventures/sped their time and money dedicated to supporting themselves and their family, and not learn the industry they are working in front to back? There's noob thrifters and that I get, there's people like this whose kids need cheerios and ninja turtle toys and he doesn't take the time to approach it like such. Zero respect for people like that. If it's your life and your livelihood, you should be a ******* professional and approach it as such. Be truly ready before you even begin otherwise your just gonna lose your family's money. Lawyers don't take the bar a couple years after practicing, your dentist doesn't go home and study to get his dental license after giving you a filling, and your doctor isn't still in med school.
Not trying to start an argument with our resident novelist, but we shouldn't really judge this dude for doing what he likes to do (especially when it's the same thing we all like to do). We all started somewhere, and it's probably safe to say that none of us researched every aspect of every clothing manufacturer and got a "thrifting degree" before we hit the streets on our first thrift beat. The whole thing is a learning process. We all learn stuff every day. If you aren't learning something new, THEN you are not doing it right.

Keep in mind also, if this guy is out there thrifting...it's a good chance he at least lurks this thread, so let's try not to skewer him for his efforts.

Last edited:

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With regards to pressing a 3-button jacket into a 2-button.... It CAN be done pretty well on some jackets. I sold a nice Zegna 3-btn suit jacket awhile back that been pressed / rolled to a 2-button. It almost fooled me, but then I looked closely. You can tell by the button-hole stitching. 1 side of the button-hole (the outside) will be finished looking and pretty uniformly sewn. The backside will be a bit more rough and crude looking (especially with hand-stitched button holes). The jacket looked really nice, and I've seen several other jackets with the same thing done to them that also looked nice.

However... when pressing / rolling a 3-button jacket into a 2-button... You can't deny the underlying structure of the lapels. Most quality jackets will have a thicker chest plate / padding in them that extends to just the edge of under the lapel. The lapel itself always seems to be a bit thinner, and of course it's folded over. When you have a 3-btn jacket that's been rolled into a 2-btn, you can still sort of feel / see that thicker underlying padding in the chest plate being rolled out into the lapel (if that makes sense). With thinner / worsted / smoother fabrics, it's more apparent. With thicker / flanneled fabrics it's not noticeable at all really... and it depends on the exact maker and construction.

"Generally" you can roll the lapels of a nice jacket down a bit into a more 2-btn looking style... But it will never be a true 2/3 roll. Just my experience. Your experience may differ.

*Edit: 400 Pages!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Loving how fast this thread is advancing... so much great stuff posted... But if you miss a couple days, you are lost lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads