1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Staffer18283

Staffer18283 Well-Known Member

Sure [​IMG]

2. Chanklebury

Chanklebury Well-Known Member

Sorry wasn't being harsh, it's just I really hate using an iphone at the best of times, but when trying to browse a forum when it keeps skipping back to the top of the page for some unfathomable reason when I am actually trying to scroll down I am driven to despair!

3. sstomcat

sstomcat Well-Known Member

One for dark colors and one for lighter.

4. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Sorry, but one 'what' for dark and light colours? Polish, brushes? [​IMG]

5. partyof6

partyof6 Well-Known Member

I have a separate brush for each pair. I keep them in their respective shoe boxes and write the polish color on the handle. I use the same brush, however, to buff the shoe before and after the polishing. I realize this is a bit overboard. But if I'm going to put different colored polishes onto a shoe, I'd rather do that intentionally rather than inadvertently via brushing. And, no, I have no evidence that my method protects the shoes any better than those who have fewer brushes. My OCD wins out over logic most days.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I was being facetious, but it is half true. Shoe care products suck!

7. Chanklebury

Chanklebury Well-Known Member

Might as well use bacon fat.
    Plus if you feel peckish you could give 'em a lick.

8. space grey

space grey Member

Hi guys,

I'm looking for an especially mild method of shoe cleaning--anyone got any tips? Occasionally I'll get a little grease spot or wax buildup on a shoe. I don't want to use a cream/conditioner that leaves anything behind, and I'd rather not use anything with a solvent that carries any risk of affecting the pigment (so no Renomat or alcohol). What's the mildest, safest methods for cleaning lightly soiled shoes when a damp cloth won't do?

I was thinking of using a product from Leather Master called Soft Cleaner. (http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Leather-Master-Soft-Cleaner-p/lmsoc.htm) It's an extremely gentle water-based cleaner with a slight foaming action and a light scent... I've been using it on a nice leather couch for a long time with no ill effect. I've used this with a soft brush on cheap driving loafers and it's worked fine... the leather initially soaks up the water and darkens, but then it dries clean and looks like new.

What do you guys think? Any problems with that kind of approach on nice shoes? Better ideas?

9. sstomcat

sstomcat Well-Known Member

10. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Well-Known Member

I found a great, easy (and free) item for producing water drops to use while wax polishing. A flower water tube. I bought flowers for my wife the other week and one of the types couldn't be out of water for long so the lady put these plastic tubes over the bottom of the stem.

So somehow I realize that because of water solubility only a drop of water falls out of the hole at a time if held upside gently. Basically the perfect little tool for depositing a drop of water on my polish cloth in between wax applications.

Google flower water tube to see what they are. And next time you are at the local grocer/florist buying flowers for the loved one make sure to get one of these:

[​IMG]

11. space grey

space grey Member

Yeah I think this Leather Master stuff is mostly water with a touch of a mild soap like baby shampoo. When using it, is it alright to use a damp cloth even if it means a little water soaks into the leather (to the point where it darkens temporarily)? I assume doing this every once in awhile isn't going to screw up the leather as long as I use cream / renovator as appropriate.

12. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

So my cobbler decided to paint over the sides of my leather soles with a brown finish when they were initially black. I tried using a sole edge dressing to re-paint it black, but it the black ink doesn't stay on the shoe for long with brown paint resurfacing after a few wears.

Is there any way to strip out the thick layer of brown paint, so I can actually paint it black with the sole edge dressing again?

This is what I'm using:

http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Heel-Edg...d=1397219945&sr=8-1&keywords=kiwi+sole+polish

13. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Well-Known Member

Sand it down to remove the brown edge dressing. Reapply the edge dressing of your choice.

1 person likes this.
  14. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Quote:Thanks for the advice, but can you elaborate a little on this "sanding" technique. Does this require some sort of equipment and is this an arduous task?

15. Kelvin Chin

Kelvin Chin Member

When should I start shoe care if wearing from May on alternate days for work? Which items to use for very basic maintenance? -In Singapore

16. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

200+ grit sandpaper. Quick and easy.

17. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  18. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Maybe I portrayed my message the wrong way, but I didn't want to purchase an expensive equipmpent for sanding purposes. I'm in no way, shape or form, affluent....

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  19. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Us peasants buy sand paper at Home Depot with our lunch money. Some even saved a whole months lunch money for a dremel.

1 person likes this.
  20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Lexol Cleaner (orange bottle)