1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

Couldn't disagree more.

This whole thread is such a sea of bullshit.

It would be nice to consolidate all of the information. If people post as I have requested then I will consolidate it all into one post/thread.

Then, when people come in the future and start asking..we point them to that information...as opposed to creating another 20 pages of bullshit where nobody gains anything.

2. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

slighly off-topic...(and definitely not to start a debate on which is better)

Bespoke: $3000
    Worn: 480 times (12x2x20)

3000/480 = $6.25

I'm not even sure if that's how much a top shoemaker would charge for bespoke shoes, but assuming $3000 to be the rough ball park, we're looking at $6.25 per wear.

In comparison to a pair of typical AE shoes (PA, FA, Strand etc...), we're looking at 45cents per wear, assuming no resoles for both shoes.

Of course, looking baller counts for something also!

1 person likes this.
  3. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

Except bespoke is more like $5000...

4. sstomcat

sstomcat Well-Known Member

Is price the only consideration?
    I think Bespoke with AE is more apples to oranges...

5. sstomcat

Depends on the brand. For Lobb etc probably it is but not universally true.

6. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

7. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

The real issue here is twofold. If you come here looking for help, then the info is here and mostly pretty consistent.

If you come here looking to help, you have to be prepared to regard every post as someone learning and asking for the first time.

And then there's the insanity clause...if you come here looking to have your own view ratified then inevitably you're never gonna hear what you're hoping to hear. So...you know what the definition of insanity is, don't you?

The definition of insanity is asking the same question (or doing the same thing) over and over again, expecting a different result.

1 person likes this.
  8. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

I will just conduct the experiments on my own as nobody seems willing to help and because this thread is such a vast sea of unintelligible nonsense that nothing can be gleamed from it anyhow.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  9. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

PCK1,

DWF knows what he is talking about - as a shoemaker- and sums up the situation very well. Patrick Booth also knows that you are asking a lot from regular visitors to this thread. It is probably not reasonable to ask people to sum up their experiences of various products with a range of questions. You can learn huge amounts from these two people, alone.

I am a comparative novice, having contributed to this site for about two years. Before I did, I read through all the postings on the site. This is an important starting point. Don't be put off by people questioning what you are asking of them. Don't disappear from the thread. You can learn huge amounts about shoes and their care just by reading what comes up.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

We are willing to help, we have helped and it is in this thread. I even narrowed it down for you, the last few months. If it is such a sea of bullshit then why are you asking the same people who have the knowledge to answer your questions? Just do a little leg work, the consistent contributors of this thread did all of the hard work by experimenting for you so don't come in here acting all entitled.

IIRC, you were the one coming in here posting something along the lines of "too much shoe care makes shoes wear faster, just brush them and polish every once in a while." I thought you had it all figured out based on your experience? :confused:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

The only thing that worries me about this approach is how shoe care is a continuum. For my experience I have used different products over long periods of time and changing my opinion about them through time after they have been used. So there is never going to be a definitive shoe care guide. I think that is what is, actually great about the thread is it shows people's opinions and experiences through time. Still, though I think a lot of us have individual preferences for products, regardless of "new product hype".

All in all, I hate all shoe care products. They all suck.

12. Chanklebury

Chanklebury Well-Known Member

In all honesty this is probably your best course of action. Who needs others opinion when you can reach your own. I think you have a reasonable proposal and I'd be interested in your verdicts when the time comes.

Now, personally, I like WS Robson's Beeswax and Carnauba Leather Polish from Chain Bridge Honey Farm in Northumberland, and Chelsea Leather Food. Anything else is largely superfluous.

Oh, in response to the earlier post enquiring about applying Saphir Renovateur, I use my fingers. I don't like the pervasive smell and doubt I'll buy Saphir again.

13. sstomcat

So why use any?

14. sstomcat

C'mon you owe us at least an explanation, few pages back you were all gaga about how good GK products are ..and before that Reno, Lexol and what not..
    You seem to be contradicting yourself how come?

15. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Almost all of my shoes are tan. I am trying to rationalise my shoe cleaning procedures. I am in the process of buying a pair of burgundy shoes. Would it be reasonably to use only neutral cream on them or should I buy a burgundy cream?

For my tan shoes I have two horsehair brushes: one to clean and buff them before I go out and one to buff them after putting cream or wax on them. If I did buy a burgundy cream, would it be a necessary to buy another pair of brushes?

16. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

I like burgundy wax polish on my burgundy shoes. However, many people use black on them...I have tried this...I think its ok.

I use the same brush for every color...

17. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

I can't speak for pB, but I'm going to answer that simply to give you a little different perspective...

I don't think any current product answers to every issue that arises with shoe care. Some have toxic or noxious chemicals in them. Some leave sticky residues. Some are too harsh, some too mild. This applies across the board--from conditioners to polishes to creams to what-have-you.

Then too the chemicals and formulas change as the years go by and the government or well-meaning busy-bodies force changes for environmental or tender-heart reasons. So where I started out with Lexol years ago...and at that time it was probably closer to a lanolin and/or vat liquor emulsion...as the years have gone by the recipe has changed. Rider said recently that Lexol is adding more water to its formula.

Years ago polish (some of them anyway) had benzine in it...we knew what it would do. How it would react. now the benzine is mostly gone as I understand it and every manufacturer went scratching for a reasonable substitute.

Some polishes are better than others for achieving a high shine. Six months later the recipe has changed and now that polish is no longer the same. Or six months later another brand changes their formula and now it is top of its class.

And no one knows what's in any of this stuff. The manufacturers guard the formulas like it was the Classic Coke recipe. So no consumer has enough information to make an informed decision.

And add to that the fact that every consumer wants something a little different from these products and every consumer is torn by the advertising claims and willingly buys into the hype--no one has ever spelled out to me what the difference between a reptile conditioner and calf conditioner is. Sure one product might have an additional ingredient or more of it, but no way to tell if that difference is critical. I suspect it is not. Leather is, after all leather.

IOW, I suspect that you could use Lexol and Meltonian cream on calf, cordovan, lizard, and veg tanned bridle leather with equally good result and equal to, or better than, any product that is hyped as leather specific.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. Staffer18283

Staffer18283 Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Do you believe conditioner is necessary for shoe care ? Presuming the shoe is being kept clean via regular brushing / wiping with moist cloth plus receives shoe cream every month or so. Does the type of climate you stay in have an impact on whether you should use conditioner ?

I ask because I find using conditioners such as saphir / AE conditioner & cleaner made the leather on my shoes very dry. I had to apply 2-3 layers of shoe cream to bring some life back into the leather (how readily the leather absorbed the cream was also a bit concerning). I haven't tried lexol but I have read some stories on it messing up finishes (which would be a bigger problem for antiquated brown shoes vs black)

19. sstomcat

I don't think anyone here is more qualified or could have answered any better. So, first thank you. I believe todays marketing the plethora of misleading information on web goes a long way in adding to the confusion.

Iagree at the end of the day there is very little to differentiate in terms of long term results between a 5$ polish and a 20$ one but we all tend to succumb to the illusion that something that costs more is invariably better. This includes myself and Im still learning.

20. Chanklebury

Chanklebury Well-Known Member

Guys can we not quote full post when responding directly below it - it really makes for tedious reading on a mobile device. Especially to then have to scroll it twice in a row! We know your responding to DW, and if you need to make it clear just quote the poster name maybe?

Edit - also a 'conditioner' that leaves leather dry is clearly no conditioner. Throw the stuff away.