• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Perhaps there's something about the droning voice of my senior VP of sales that allows me to get in the perfect rhythm to shine my shoes :). I'll have to thank him one day.

Perhaps you may want to omit the word 'droning' when you thank your VP. :D

Seriously, the shoooz look great!

No offense to your AE's but I see this as a good example of how a little DIY can turn an average pair of shoes into something a little more special. And I like DIY projects.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Perhaps you may want to omit the word 'droning' when you thank your VP. :D

Good call.

Seriously, the shoooz look great!
No offense to your AE's but I see this as a good example of how a little DIY can turn an average pair of shoes into something a little more special. And I like DIY projects.

None taken...you are absolutely right.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I promise that this will be the last of my "here's what I accomplished during my Friday conference call" posts. With that said, here's what I accomplished during my Friday conference call today.

Please don't, I always enjoy watching these! They give me motivation for my waxing sessions.

Lear

Reaction score
Patrick_B, I really like the graduated shine you get. The whole shoe looks properly polished and healthy (as if dead skin could ever be so). In contrast, my experiment with the RM's above, shows a well polished toe-box, with solid dividing line into a poorly polished upper.

Nice one mate. I'm taking notes :worship:

I also agree: well maintained and polished, can take a medium priced shoe to the next level.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patrick_B, I really like the graduated shine you get. The whole shoe looks properly polished and healthy (as if dead skin could ever be so). In contrast, my experiment with the RM's above, shows a well polished toe-box, with solid dividing line into a poorly polished upper.
I also agree: well maintained and polished, can take a medium priced shoe to the next level.

Thanks Lear. It's funny, I really thought the transition was too abrupt. It's been bugging me since this morning. I think one more thin coat right on the transition line would help tremendously...along with a lot of brushing and buffing. As you both mentioned, properly shined shoes certainly make a difference. Sadly it won't turn these into the Corthay Arca...but things like that pesky mortgage, kid's tuition, groceries, etc. just seem to get in the way of the fun stuff :).

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Just finished processing the last few images.

A quick glance shows that my WB settings weren't consistent on all of the images. The last image is a tad warm but the others show the color fairly accurately. AE got the color right IMO. It was an easy choice over the walnut.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday the toe of one of my shoes made close physical contact with a stairwell. Now there is some bigger scratch which I don't know how to treat properly. All I find when searching is in fact how to treat scratches, mine actually is a small area of 1mm x 1mm where the upper layer of the leather is removed (approx 0.2mm). What to do? Multiple applications of the Sapphir cream, then multiple of the wax?

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do anyone have sources for som extra large horse hair brushes? Don't need to cost a lot.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yesterday the toe of one of my shoes made close physical contact with a stairwell. Now there is some bigger scratch which I don't know how to treat properly. All I find when searching is in fact how to treat scratches, mine actually is a small area of 1mm x 1mm where the upper layer of the leather is removed (approx 0.2mm). What to do? Multiple applications of the Sapphir cream, then multiple of the wax?

Yes.

I would:

Condition, buff
Condition, buff
Polish, buff a few coats until it starts to 'level' off.

If the shoes are lighter in color than dark brown or black, use a polish that is slightly lighter than the color of the shoe.

Sounds like a small enough nick - time, polish and patina will solve all problems.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lear, :worship:

For what it's worth. I've been doing a couple of good coats of polish over the whole shoe before I begin work on the toes and quarters. I don't worry to much about buffing (with a brush) them out overall until I'm nearly done with the bulled areas. I'm also finding that I like the shoe to look just a smidge 'dry' in the areas that aren't mirrored as the contrast between the two finishes is appealing to me.

As for the 'fade' I frankly don't give it too much thought - I just fade each coat back pretty roughly. It seems to pretty much take care of itself for me.

I'm still struggling with the getting the full on mirror effect quickly - but I'm happy with the fade and overall effect I'm starting to get with lots of coats.

Still struggling with how Patrick B is getting his so mirrored so quickly.:uhoh:

Starting to think more highly of a micro fiber buffing cloth than old t-shirts - but still not sure on that one.

-G

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had the feeling/fear that I might rub off more of the leather when buffing. Any risk?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lear, :worship:
For what it's worth. I've been doing a couple of good coats of polish over the whole shoe before I begin work on the toes and quarters. I don't worry to much about buffing (with a brush) them out overall until I'm nearly done with the bulled areas. I'm also finding that I like the shoe to look just a smidge 'dry' in the areas that aren't mirrored as the contrast between the two finishes is appealing to me.
As for the 'fade' I frankly don't give it too much thought - I just fade each coat back pretty roughly. It seems to pretty much take care of itself for me.
I'm still struggling with the getting the full on mirror effect quickly - but I'm happy with the fade and overall effect I'm starting to get with lots of coats.
Still struggling with how Patrick B is getting his so mirrored so quickly.:uhoh:
Starting to think more highly of a micro fiber buffing cloth than old t-shirts - but still not sure on that one.
-G

Ok - I'm going to reply to my own post with this.......

OMG - HOT WATER!

I started using water, nearly boiling hot, to dip my application cloth into. Reached a deep rich mirror in no time!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads