• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

urbanwoodsman

Reaction score
I would wash them in cold water with Dark Woolite whenever they smell or after 15-20 wears. Washing lengthens the life of jeans because it removes corrosive bacteria and, in the case of raw denim, removes starch, which breaks down the fibers and contributes to crotch blowouts, etc.. You'll be fine on the fade front whether you choose to wash regularly or not.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only time i wash my denim is when i spill something on it. I have denim for years hat i never have washed. I will admit i live a sedentary life where i sit in the office for a large part of the day. Also, I have over 30 pairs of jeans and almost half are RRL. So I consistently cycle through jeans.

That's very big of you to admit that ;).

I'm in the same boat.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wash them in cold water with Dark Woolite whenever they smell or after 15-20 wears. Washing lengthens the life of jeans because it removes corrosive bacteria and, in the case of raw denim, removes starch, which breaks down the fibers and contributes to crotch blowouts, etc.. You'll be fine on the fade front whether you choose to wash regularly or not.

Well said, couldn't agree more. The only thing I do differently is that I typically wash before they start to smell. I'm self conscious about it.

On a somewhat related note, is fabric softener bad for garments? My jeans get washed alone and on delicate w/Woolite and never see the dryer. Shirts get a regular wash cycle and most get tossed in the dryer. I grew up in a Downey & dryer sheet household. Therefore cotton garments like t-shirts, OCBD's and flannels are subject to fabric softener (if I remember to use it) and a dryer sheet.

Any reason to avoid these products?

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
Here are my pics of the original east/west rigid slim narrows from about three years ago. I think these only got 2-3 washes in that period of time, never quite understood how peoples jeans start to stank so bad. Unfortunately I had to retire these early since I'm at a point where I just don't want to wear tighter jeans anymore. Going from my samurais to these makes me feel like I'm wearing a pair of tights :(

20180316_141929.jpg
20180316_141947.jpg

urbanwoodsman

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's awful for garments, but I also wouldn't use it very much. Chemicals and dryers wear down fabrics over time and, unfortunately, so does dirt. You should be fine keeping with your routine.

@Fenderplyr Those look great! Agree with you: time to move away from tight jeans. I see some guys wearing jeans that look like they're one sneeze away from unraveling.

Well said, couldn't agree more. The only thing I do differently is that I typically wash before they start to smell. I'm self conscious about it.

On a somewhat related note, is fabric softener bad for garments? My jeans get washed alone and on delicate w/Woolite and never see the dryer. Shirts get a regular wash cycle and most get tossed in the dryer. I grew up in a Downey & dryer sheet household. Therefore cotton garments like t-shirts, OCBD's and flannels are subject to fabric softener (if I remember to use it) and a dryer sheet.

Any reason to avoid these products?

henryfool3

Reaction score
Here are my pics of the original east/west rigid slim narrows from about three years ago. I think these only got 2-3 washes in that period of time, never quite understood how peoples jeans start to stank so bad. Unfortunately I had to retire these early since I'm at a point where I just don't want to wear tighter jeans anymore. Going from my samurais to these makes me feel like I'm wearing a pair of tights :(

View attachment 942152
View attachment 942153

Really dig .

Also agree with @urbanwoodsman, can't stand the super tight jeans. The skinny jeans are just a fad that I could never understand.

One thing I really like about RRL denim is that the slim and even slim narrows are generally not too tight. At least not for me. They have enough give for my taste. But I can see moving away from the slim narrows, they are toeing the line a bit more.

bobbo28

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has tried on the Wilkes wash short sleeve chambray shirt? Seems like a nice alternative to a long sleeve denim shirt in warmer weather and I like that it's cut regular (whatever that means with RRL)...

s7-1284390_lifestyle.jpeg

Santiago67

Reaction score
Are there any known outlets in the Dallas area that receive RRL? I’ve tried the Ralph Lauren Outlet, Saks and Neimans outlets with no luck. For such a large metroplex, the only 2 stores that carry the line I’ve found are Stag and the RL store in Highland Park. I don’t mind paying retail, but the selection is very small (only 2 RRL items at RL store are denim shirts). I’ve been relegated to ordering online almost exclusively, just wouldn’t mind having the opportunity to see more of the product in person before buying. Thanks, folks!

Dirt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering if any of you fine people happen to recognize what season these 2 pieces are from or the model name(s)?
Thanks!

346ACE26-8767-45BA-AF34-5749412448D8.jpeg

AA22AFCC-EAD1-40CC-B7A1-D990720E5554.jpeg

BF519DAC-EE82-4B2C-AA4A-6F3451B375D5.jpeg

Edit: think I found it. Jackson cotton jaspe vest and jacket

Last edited:

oynag

Reaction score
Wow, that striped sweater from the summer collection looks even nicer than I thought it did. Look at the details around the shoulders!
View attachment 938875

Me again. Received and pleased. To the surprise of no one, the color is different than the site. It’s more of an oatmeal white and less of a true white like the picture suggests. I like it better in person.

Fits true to size even though the description says “vintage-inspired fit” whatever that means. Was afraid it would be too loose. Some pictures with Midland (?) wash low-straights.

4C886277-4C75-454A-88B6-D7A5EC99DE9C.jpeg

0367DE9F-49A4-4436-AE18-B0A80273D856.jpeg

cj610

Reaction score
Yeah, the oatmeal works much better. Nice all around..............

Me again. Received and pleased. To the surprise of no one, the color is different than the site. It’s more of an oatmeal white and less of a true white like the picture suggests. I like it better in person.

Fits true to size even though the description says “vintage-inspired fit” whatever that means. Was afraid it would be too loose. Some pictures with Midland (?) wash low-straights.

henryfool3

Reaction score
James Brolin wears a lot of RRL shirts on Life in Pieces. Definitely in season 2.

I noticed while binge watching overnight suffering from possible flu induced insomnia.

Please don't judge my choices ;)

Last edited:

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
James Brolin wears a lot of RRL shirts on Life in Pieces. Definitely in season 2.

I noticed while binge watching overnight suffering from possible flu induced insomnia.

Please don't judge my choices
Also spotted Denise (Lena Waithe) from Master of None sporting a beacon RRL button down in the Thanksgiving episode

oynag

Reaction score
Saw that too and it bumped me from the episode because that shirt came out like two seasons after the episode’s time period. Can’t fool us, Master of None producers!

JiiPee

Reaction score
Are there any known outlets in the Dallas area that receive RRL? I’ve tried the Ralph Lauren Outlet, Saks and Neimans outlets with no luck. For such a large metroplex, the only 2 stores that carry the line I’ve found are Stag and the RL store in Highland Park. I don’t mind paying retail, but the selection is very small (only 2 RRL items at RL store are denim shirts). I’ve been relegated to ordering online almost exclusively, just wouldn’t mind having the opportunity to see more of the product in person before buying. Thanks, folks!

I recently heard that the normal RL Factory outlets in the US don't get RRL anymore. There are only couple of "special" outlets in the US that will get all the overstock. In Europe you can still occasionally find some random RRL in RL Factory Outlet stores.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brandsvalley