• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

captainshields

Reaction score
Is it really named after his wife? That's the first time I've heard that. Ricky Ralph Lauren doesn't have a nicest ring to it. Was RRL her brainchild or some kind of dedication to family life on the ranch?

Well if it is named after Ricky, it's called Double RL, not Ricky Ralph Lauren so the ring doesn't matter ;)

But I'm pretty sure it is just named after his ranch. RRL started as a nod to the southwestern culture where he bought the ranch as far as I know. So it makes sense.

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, he named RRL line after his ranch, which he named after his wife. Get over it.

PS. Those LE rigids look sick. Not really digging the upside down Levis arch though (didn't RL already get sued over that?)

Also the price $390 is pretty steep for STF rigids but if it has a LE numbering/small size run, that adds at least $100 to it's value. Hard to believe they would sell out at $390, but I guess it's a sellers market right now.

Last edited:

paul_s

Reaction score
They got sued when it was flipped the other way around. Must be a nightmare for them to sell those online with sizing issues. They tell you to add two inches to your normal size, but you normally size down two on straights. So you buy them in your true waist size? They also don't even mention what the inseam is.

Last edited:

FlyGuy

Reaction score
Limited Straight Leg...Bout time these came out…..

Dastig - Length? … x 34 or x 36?

fwiw - i have had many unsanforized aka STF (non RRL) and none have yet to shrink two sizes down and stay there. STF = +1" W, +2" L for me personally (unless redic long to begin with >36")

Last edited:

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well if it is named after Ricky, it's called Double RL, not Ricky Ralph Lauren so the ring doesn't matter ;)

But I'm pretty sure it is just named after his ranch. RRL started as a nod to the southwestern culture where he bought the ranch as far as I know. So it makes sense.

Ah, I got it now. I wonder if they made a conscious decision to stop using any more "Ralph's" for the newer brands since the lines got kind of confusing. Rugby Ralph Lauren (RRL), Double RL, Lauren Ralph Lauren. Ha.

So is there any significance to the backwards "R" and the typeface used? Typography is one of my interests so I've always been curious about the logo.

Last edited:

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, he named RRL line after his ranch, which he named after his wife. Get over it.

PS. Those LE rigids look sick. Not really digging the upside down Levis arch though (didn't RL already get sued over that?)

Also the price $390 is pretty steep for STF rigids but if it has a LE numbering/small size run, that adds at least $100 to it's value. Hard to believe they would sell out at $390, but I guess it's a sellers market right now.

They got sued when it was flipped the other way around. Must be a nightmare for them to sell those online with sizing issues. They tell you to add two inches to your normal size, but you normally size down two on straights. So you buy them in your true waist size? They also don't even mention what the inseam is.

lol aaaaand this is why I havent really dipped into pricier denim yet.. too much variation Im reading online about sizing scares me.

that and my fat ass needs to drop a bit of poundage
redface.gif

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually size down 2-3 in sanforized denim and 1-2 in STF. Depending on the brand/cut.

Most of the time the waist/thigh stretches back out pretty quickly. It's more the length you have to worry about. Size up 2 on the length, go TTS on the waist and you'll get a pretty solid fit (or anti-fit.)

Last edited:

captainshields

Reaction score
Ah, I got it now. I wonder if they made a conscious decision to stop using any more "Ralph's" for the newer brands since the lines got kind of confusing. Rugby Ralph Lauren (RRL), Double RL, Lauren Ralph Lauren. Ha.

So is there any significance to the backwards "R" and the typeface used? Typography is one of my interests so I've always been curious about the logo.

I don't know about that.
I'm a graphic designer, so typography is an interest of mine as well.
Personally I absolutely hate the backwards RRL logo. I'm sure it has some kind of significance (maybe that is what the logo of the ranch was before they bought it or something) but it is the one thing about RRL I don't like haha.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Y'all need to cool the **** out. Ranches are named circle J (a J in a circle) Double D (2 Ds together) and **** like that. It's how ranches are named. They named their ranch after themselves. They named a western line of the brand after the ranch. It's not rocket science.

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Y'all need to cool the **** out. Ranches are named circle J (a J in a circle) Double D (2 Ds together) and **** like that. It's how ranches are named. They named their ranch after themselves. They named a western line of the brand after the ranch. It's not rocket science.

That's what I was wondering. Thanks for the info.

Jagger_On

Reaction score
Picked up the new Selvedge Indigo Clyde trousers yesterday. The colour on these is something else, really beautiful deep blue. Word of warning though, the inseam is really long, left mine at the shop to get tailored. Will look incredible with the Allen work jacket I picked up the other week.

Seen this shirt online last week. Wasn't out on the shop floor yet but the guys in Mount Street brought one down for me. Absolutely beautiful, know exactly how I want to wear it. The only downside was that the London shop only got 1 L in and it is already on hold for another customer.

Have mixed thoughts on what I've seen of the new season collections so far. Some really really nice pieces and then there are others that are in great fabrics but ruined by some unnecessary details (e.g. a cargo pocket on a pair of trousers where the fabric is already the stand out). Not my cup of tea but it may be of interest to some, there's a hat (news boy cap, I think) in this fabric.

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked up the new Selvedge Indigo Clyde trousers yesterday. The colour on these is something else, really beautiful deep blue. Word of warning though, the inseam is really long, left mine at the shop to get tailored. Will look incredible with the Allen work jacket I picked up the other week.

Seen this shirt online last week. Wasn't out on the shop floor yet but the guys in Mount Street brought one down for me. Absolutely beautiful, know exactly how I want to wear it. The only downside was that the London shop only got 1 L in and it is already on hold for another customer.

Have mixed thoughts on what I've seen of the new season collections so far. Some really really nice pieces and then there are others that are in great fabrics but ruined by some unnecessary details (e.g. a cargo pocket on a pair of trousers where the fabric is already the stand out). Not my cup of tea but it may be of interest to some, there's a hat (news boy cap, I think) in this fabric.

I love that indigo shirt with the club collar. Looks better in person.

The white one looks amazing as well. Is it a tuxedo shirt? Has RRL ever made a shirt with french cuffs?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdrterds