• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

slows2k

Reaction score
That's half the appeal, isn't it?

This, times 11entybillion.

How does a topcoat look like a bathrobe? :confused2:

In fairness there is overlap design-wise:

20118278_Spruce_main_01.png.jpeg

I think it's the unstructured nature of a lot of Bals that make them feel like bathrobes, which as stated above is a lot of the appeal.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But that's also not a bathrobe? That's a blanket coat, which was originally designed to be worn in the outdoors by fur traders.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DM this guy:

The truly rare ones will come from specific periods, which you can date by looking at the number of royal warrants shown on the inside tag. Since we know when Barbour received a royal warrant, you can guesstimate the age of a jacket by looking at the number shown inside. But generally speaking, unless you're after a certain collector's piece, you can get used ones for a reasonable price (the collectors ones are very expensive).
can you recommend some? I’m always wary of buying Barbour on eBay cause it i’m worried of buying a knock-off

I've had great luck with this NY based ebay seller:

Bought a vintage Barbour International (When they were called the International Suit). I had a fit issue and he gladly accepted a return and I ended up buying another he listed later. It's a nice, single warrant 70's era International, when they were sold with a jacket and pant, hence, the "Suit".

I really like the brand and still own a few waxed Barbours. My favorite has to be the Sapper, an olive waxed military inspired jacket. It's the long since discontinued lightweight, uninsulated version (only offered for a short time) and I found it on the sale rack at an Orvis store. It's been rewaxed twice in the last 10 years by Barbour's USA location in NH.

slows2k

Reaction score
But that's also not a bathrobe? That's a blanket coat, which was originally designed to be worn in the outdoors by fur traders.

I don't doubt that you're right but that may be a little nuanced for the average consumer? Filson located in their "loungewear" section and the reviews all refer to using it as a bathrobe.

And when they bring it back I'm all over it.

These grey areas get a little fuzzy. I think also of the robe coats from Camoshita last year and Document's popular version as well. They are marketed as coats but aren't clearly NOT robes, either visually or substantively. I'm just saying that many Bals slot into the overlapping area of the venn diagram with robes and coats. Their unstructured nature and longer length, coupled with the loose fit, definitely feel robe-like.

Calanon

Reaction score
I’m late to the Oriental/Far East discussion, but for years I’ve enjoyed tweaking my European friends by calling it “The West Asian Peninsula”.

Why is Europe even considered a continent? It’s just a bulge on Asia. If Europe is a continent, then so is Alaska.

Because the continents are just made-up concepts and the idea of Europe and Asia originated with the Greeks (although, both were much smaller ideas back then...)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All I’m saying is that if you sent me just that thumbnail without a product description my first guess would be “flannel robe” not “topcoat “

For me, a key design feature of a robe is a shawl collar.

4106_28a80cd178-22012800_7598-zoom.jpg
tumblr_inline_odjvzzk35W1qfex1b_540.jpg

Bal coats have a turndown collar, and are made from a heavier fabric. I think of them more as topcoats.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is Europe even considered a continent? It’s just a bulge on Asia. If Europe is a continent, then so is Alaska.
Depends on who you ask, actually. Japan and Russia teach a six continent model, with Europe and Asia combined as "Eurasia". Other countries consider North and South America to be a single continent. But I digress

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beams Plus corduroy patchwork coat is also available here. That collar looks a bit awful though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads