• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that vicuna coat he has is from hitchcock.
8b910a36fe2cce785ea2ea73f20aebf5.jpg

Looks like Charles has a SB vicuna also now

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
can you recommend some? I’m always wary of buying Barbour on eBay cause it i’m worried of buying a knock-off

DM this guy:

The truly rare ones will come from specific periods, which you can date by looking at the number of royal warrants shown on the inside tag. Since we know when Barbour received a royal warrant, you can guesstimate the age of a jacket by looking at the number shown inside. But generally speaking, unless you're after a certain collector's piece, you can get used ones for a reasonable price (the collectors ones are very expensive).

kaizerpi

Reaction score
The PTO post on the falklands war was pretty great I remember. Definitely had me wanting a barbour tho there are some cool alternatives to stand out amongst the crowd. Monitaly does a version based off the Canadian field jacket That NMWA carries.

My wife actually got me a barn coat waxed jacket from Schott on Black Friday that I’m a fan of.

I recall Derek’s mentioned donegal sweaters before. I remember his link actually got me to a navy donegal-type sweater from Jcrew thats still going strong. https://dieworkwear.com/2013/08/14/donegals-not-from-donegal/

Last edited:

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Per the Barbour discussion a couple pages ago, I managed to get a lightly used Ashby (slim fit version of Bedale) for a steal a few years ago. It had the absolute perfect patina in the stress points already when I got it. So I'm just saying, going full vintage isn't necessarily required to get a good, broken-in look. Mine was only a few years old (but obviously had been worn a decent amount by the prior owner).

It's great, I love it, but it's so strange in how it makes me sweaty on the tops of my shoulders. Never experienced that before with any other coat. I went full #menswear and wore it—over a navy blazer—hiking the Quiraing trail on the Isle of Skye a few years ago. Nobody stopped me to tell me I looked awesome, which I thought was rude.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember when I said to Butler, "So you said this suit is by Alfred Hitchcock, is that right?" and immediately wanted to implode into a tiny speck of infinite mass?
If there’s one thing I learned from the times I’ve spent with @Butler it’s never get into an insult match with him. It’s an Olympic sport with him, he will take home the gold, and you’ll be crying. I’ve never laughed harder.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes Barbours have an aroma, but for me it’s a very comforting one as it brings back memories of wearing them when growing up and the occasional ritual of reapplying the wax dressing.

To the point above about buying vintage, there are also a number of Barbour models in a heavier weight fabric which tend to have a wool blend lining. That makes them more suitable for cooler days, and also leads to a different patina as they age.

And on patina. The jackets will crack or split at high wear points given long enough, but applying the wax dressing periodically is important to minimise this - which is probably why the Queen’s coat above looks in such good condition. Don’t let the proofing dry out, nor apply it too heavily since that leads to it clogging and a different and unpleasant smell.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Barbours and wax jackets, everything I read about them seems antiquated.

Overcoats have SOME semblance of practicality and look cool vs. Parkas.

Barbours look dumpy, are apparently stinky, hard to clean, and not breathable.

Barbours/wax cotton jackets are great. In my experience they dont stink.

They are perfect when there is a sligth chill in the air and a possibility for Rain. I dont think that many modern jackets are as versatile.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes Barbours have an aroma, but for me it’s a very comforting one as it brings back memories of wearing them when growing up and the occasional ritual of reapplying the wax dressing.

To the point above about buying vintage, there are also a number of Barbour models in a heavier weight fabric which tend to have a wool blend lining. That makes them more suitable for cooler days, and also leads to a different patina as they age.

And on patina. The jackets will crack or split at high wear points given long enough, but applying the wax dressing periodically is important to minimise this - which is probably why the Queen’s coat above looks in such good condition. Don’t let the proofing dry out, nor apply it too heavily since that leads to it clogging and a different and unpleasant smell.
I should probably reapply some wax to mine. I’ve never done so and it is sorta dry in the elbows etc

Butler

Reaction score
If there’s one thing I learned from the times I’ve spent with @Butler it’s never get into an insult match with him. It’s an Olympic sport with him, he will take home the gold, and you’ll be crying. I’ve never laughed harder.
Ha ha - thanks, I think? Hope you are well

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, some posts get taken down after a while for various reasons. I've put that one back up, though.

Do people actually look at old posts? I just assumed the number who do so is so small, no one would care or notice.

DWW, I meant to reply to this at the time. When I want to learn about a particular kind of piece or a particular style I regularly search your old old posts, it´s such an extraordinary body of knowledge. There´s nothing comparable on the net.

Very sad to hear old posts sometimes get taken down :(

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member