• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official "Ask Man of Lint" resurrection thread.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey MOL, hoping this thread is not dead. Have you ever attempted to remove shine from a suit? I picked up a Pal Zileri which has a little on the pants seat and also some on the hems of the jacket. I am going to try the brushing, and vinegar method. Unless I hear from you otherwise.

I have had success wiping with a damp terrycloth rag and hanging dry. I've used filtered water and have never tried vinegar so let us know how it works out if you go that route.

Also, I have not forgotten the last few posts. I know I have some catching up to do. Things have just been very busy here. Will get to it soon, even if it is just or posterity.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks MOL, I am going to try your filtered water method first. Then move gradually to more drastic measures if that doesn't work. I'm not sure if the vinegar smell will linger, and I don't really have a desire for an Italian suit that smells like Italian Dressing.

Will try to document the process.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vinegar won't hurt the fabric if you do a 50% vinegar - 50% water mix.
Many people add 1 cup of white vinegar to their washing machines when laundering and swear by it.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll vouch for the vinegar smell not lingering. I used it to remove the lingering body odor of the previous owner of a thrifted Loro Piana navy blazer. I saturated the pits with full strength White House. I hung it in the laundry room and forgot about it.

Two weeks later, I saw it hanging in the corner and put heat from a blow drier on it. No more B.O. and the vinegar was gone as well.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I'll vouch for the vinegar smell not lingering. I used it to remove the lingering body odor of the previous owner of a thrifted Loro Piana navy blazer. I saturated the pits with full strength White House. I hung it in the laundry room and forgot about it.

Two weeks later, I saw it hanging in the corner and put heat from a blow drier on it. No more B.O. and the vinegar was gone as well.

Quoted for later re-use.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it too late to mention that the new owner was thrilled with the flipped thrift find?

Yeah. Probably.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thankfully, you spend little time in DT or you'd have already seen the story of the honey dipped wedding tie.

Tropicalist

Reaction score
These used to be PT and shorts shoes we grew up with before the days of Nike, addidas and fancy shoes that do everything except make you breakfast. Go run around in the mud a few times. Get them more evenly dirtied and then wear them with pride.

3dials

Reaction score
Hi all. This is my first major "upper echelon" shoe purchase and I thought I'd start with a used shoe before dropping a lot of money on brand new ones.

BAT-SIGNAL for Man of Lint!

Here are some pictures. Should I go for this pair of Allen Edmond wingtips for around $70?
Are they worth reconditioning? Can I do it myself with some elbow grease?

Oh yeah, there are metal taps on the toes as well.

Thanks in advance!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3dials I am a little confused from the other thread you posted these photos in. Did you purchase these shoes?

3dials

Reaction score
Hi ManofLint, no I didn't purchase the ones you recommended not to. I picked up another pair from an SF member.

pbandjai

Reaction score
Hi Man of Lint!

Thank you for knowledge bombing us so gracefully. I was going my rounds the other day and came across these in the wild and am wondering whether or not they are salvageable / if you know anything about the shoes.

1) Florsheim Imperials - not sure what era, the heels have nails and say "florsheim shoe company" it also looks like they have been polished by the wrong color? Not sure what I would do to get them back if anything can be done.

2) Florsheim SOMETHINGS- Have no idea what kind / quality they are. they one of the heels look like it's completely gone and could easily be replaced. Not sure about the soles though, they have no stitching on them - does that mean once they're worn, it's over? are these quality enough to pick up? Would you wear them like jodhpurs?

These are both at more of a consignment shop type place so higher than the avg. thrift.

THANKS! I'll cross post somewhere else in case this thread isn't resurrected.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pbandjai, sorry for ringing in late on your question. Did you purchase the Florsheims? I hope not. Based on those photos they look like two roast chickens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads