• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I’m thrift shopping in Japan and I found these Alden 99162 for USD 300. Apparently this is a 986 especially made for the Japan market, with a higher vamp. What do you think of the state of the leather and of the soles?

Are the soles due a replacing or should i just add brass to the tip? Do you think I paid a fair price? And any idea what color this is? Im assuming a very faded color 8

Thanks guys!! View attachment 2154273 View attachment 2154275 View attachment 2154277 View attachment 2154281 View attachment 2154283 View attachment 2154285 View attachment 2154353

Dude, that is a really nice pickup at that price. I think the soles have plenty of life and for me, I would not send for a recraft just yet. Rather, I’d find a decent cobbler (doesn’t have to be great) and have a topy glued on the soles. Generally they will build the toe back so the point where the part that has worn away won’t be visible. Will add comfort and life to the shoes. In a couple years, send them back and tell them not to touch the uppers as that is some really nice 8 you got going on. Congrats!

You can get 99% of that oxidation off with a toothbrush and some mild cleansers. Hopefully it won’t take off the paint, but still.

FWIW, my Edward Green boots suffer from the same issues and they are much younger.

Nice boots but why convert the double leather? It’s such a fantastic sole.

Thanks. Personal preference and aesthetics.

Last edited:

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just for those that might be interested.. Beyond aesthics, here's another reason some are opposed to exposed eyelets .

When I was in the Army we had something that we colored in the eyelets. Might have just been edge dressing. But most people here probably don't have to worry about worn off paint versus..oxidation View attachment 2154211

One of my first purchases after venturing into the world of decent shoes. Black shell short wing oxfords from Alden for Brooks Brothers. They were on clearance and temptation got the better of me but they eventually fell out of favor and have been languishing bagged and boxed in the back of my closet the past few years (and I use the term "few" loosely as it's been well over 5 years since I've worn them.
Those are beauties! Hope you're able to get more wears out of those!

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I’m thrift shopping in Japan and I found these Alden 99162 for USD 300. Apparently this is a 986 especially made for the Japan market, with a higher vamp. What do you think of the state of the leather and of the soles?

Are the soles due a replacing or should i just add brass to the tip? Do you think I paid a fair price? And any idea what color this is? Im assuming a very faded color 8

Thanks guys!! View attachment 2154273 View attachment 2154275 View attachment 2154277 View attachment 2154281 View attachment 2154283 View attachment 2154285 View attachment 2154353
Beautiful LHS! Look like they have plenty of life in them. A good brushing, maybe some conditioner, and deer bone session would help these look their best!

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped in at Alden SF to look at shoes and catch up with Jim. He told me they would be closed on the weekends starting in April. This will make it harder for me to visit the shop, but guess it's just a sign of the times.

Weather was unpredictable and would have spurts of downpours followed by beautiful sunshine. Buddy took me to a favorite taqueria and they had delicious carne asada super burritos!
1000010340.jpg

Obligatory shoe pic for today (403).
1000010342.jpg

wolfdale

Reaction score
Stopped in at Alden SF to look at shoes and catch up with Jim. He told me they would be closed on the weekends starting in April. This will make it harder for me to visit the shop, but guess it's just a sign of the times.

Weather was unpredictable and would have spurts of downpours followed by beautiful sunshine. Buddy took me to a favorite taqueria and they had delicious carne asada super burritos!
View attachment 2154741

View attachment 2154745

Aw man this made me hungry!!

wolfdale

Reaction score
Guys,

Took them to the cobblers this afternoon. Check out how they look now! IMG_2100.jpeg IMG_2097.jpeg IMG_2106.jpeg
IMG_2099.jpeg

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Took them to the cobblers this afternoon. Check out how they look now! View attachment 2154847 View attachment 2154849
Just for those that might be interested.. Beyond aesthics, here's another reason some are opposed to exposed eyelets .

When I was in the Army we had something that we colored in the eyelets. Might have just been edge dressing. But most people here probably don't have to worry about worn off paint versus..oxidation View attachment 2154211

One of my first purchases after venturing into the world of decent shoes. Black shell short wing oxfords from Alden for Brooks Brothers. They were on clearance and temptation got the better of me but they eventually fell out of favor and have been languishing bagged and boxed in the back of my closet the past few years (and I use the term "few" loosely as it's been well over 5 years since I've worn them.

I have a pair of those same short wing oxfords only in number 8. Also purchased from BB ages ago. They suffer from the same oxidation issue. One eyelet the color came off. Only pair of shoes I have with eyelet oxidation.

Bizarre as I was in the process of typing the same response when I strolled through the rest of my unread activity. I have a ton of footwear (Alden and non-Alden) with exposed eyes and in all of my time in this very expensive rabbit-hole, my BB C8 SW are the only pair I have seen this. Fortunately for me, Alden took care of the issue.

View attachment 2154741

View attachment 2154745
Your shoe pic's are great but certainly not obligatory. I enjoy your stories as well :cool:.

Dayymmmnnnn. That is some nice work. Well done my-man!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how it happened but somehow over the years I have gotten a little Ravello-heavy (with 2 incoming preorders). Oh well, there are worse problems to have. Food, jazz and friends are always a winning combination. These Ravello Splits got the call……..

O110aa6QRCe_LbxKLuOFoQ.jpeg s8DakwJcSvS6M8lXlJQpTg.jpeg v8OyWuEzSeudB_U1GA1imQ.jpeg

JTMD

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a bit up in the air here with my recent purchases and appreciate your patience while I talk myself through it.

I'm of course going to get toe taps on them..but..the toppies just throw me for some reason.

I rarely like the aesthetics of rubber over the leather sole and with a larger collection it's not as if I need to bring them in all that often anyways.

Part of me says I can get the damn toppies when I finally do need a resole and to enjoy the leather the first time around.

I get it. They're quicker, easier, cheaper, and take less of a toll than a re-sole..but..don't we rage about Goodyear welting for the mere reason that they can take being re-soled numerous times? Isn't that the primary advantage and one of a main reasons we shell out the big bucks for goodyear footwear?

I'd say over half my collection has toppies..but for some reason I haven't become a die hard fan as many here are.

Of course my cobbler will argue with me if I say no. 😆. And Dean Girling has stated toppies are the best way to prolong shoe life. Numerous folks on the threads swear by them as well.

but..I can order shoes with toe taps from pretty much all the factories. To my knowledge toppies are secondary market only. Dean Girling might recommend them but he's showing and selling his shoes with them on

And in this case Alden uses pretty standard soles so it's not if i'd be covering a hand crafted fiddle back.

Oh well..I have a few days to mull it over before I bring them in. Thanks again

Last edited:

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

slows2k

Reaction score
Anyone know why Alden doesn't make the LHS up in scotch grain ever? CJ does scotch grained loafers pretty consistently and it seems like a style that would work really well.

I finally came into wearing LHS more this last year and now am completely enamored. Would love to add that great shade of scotch grain alden occasionally makes boots from but in all the years Ive been here on SF, ive never run across LHS in it.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone know why Alden doesn't make the LHS up in scotch grain ever? CJ does scotch grained loafers pretty consistently and it seems like a style that would work really well.

I finally came into wearing LHS more this last year and now am completely enamored. Would love to add that great shade of scotch grain alden occasionally makes boots from but in all the years Ive been here on SF, ive never run across LHS in it.
J Crew had a LHS in alpine grain a number of years ago.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how it happened but somehow over the years I have gotten a little Ravello-heavy (with 2 incoming preorders). Oh well, there are worse problems to have. Food, jazz and friends are always a winning combination. These Ravello Splits got the call……..

View attachment 2154887 View attachment 2154885 View attachment 2154883
Outstanding pairing with the Ravello split toes and those grey trousers! One of the reasons I love Ravello is the versatility!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads