• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Horween's "walkabout" leather and how it ages/patinas?

from a Heddle's article:
"Horween’s Walkabout leather starts as a nubuck which is then buffed, raising a nap on the outermost layer. Finally, it is waxed down to create a smooth finish, but one that will surely develop a lot of character very quickly with some wear."
https://www.heddels.com/2016/12/alden-x-standard-strange-roland-boot/

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

crooked captoe :( but I'll just wear em anyhow. I'm sure most won't notice
Bummer about that. But it really isn't too bad. I wouldn't have caught it particularly in a fit pic.
Hello, Ravello and Whiskey LWB.
Not sure if I am happy or sad to see a BNIB Brassvello. Those are several, like 4-5, years old sitting in the green box gathering bloom. That said, they are beautiful of course. My favorite Alden makeup to date.
A perfect day for Indys on Commando, but how else could I brave the rain? :)
Very nice and indeed a good way to face the rain.
Another rainy day in Silicon Valley. Leffot chamois tankers via TSM's second's list.
Very nice and always a good way to get shoes (seconds).
Guys, I just ordered a set of LHS Chromex from Alden Madison. They said they had them in stock, but after I purchased thry got back to me and said the pair they had in stock had creases and they were going to send a fresh pair from the factory. Perfect and great service. I received the new pair and they look pretty good, but the backs of the shoes are two different heights. Pics shown. Overall I have seen this quite a bit and I purchased a pair from the Shoe Mart 6 months ago that I also had to send back. Whats going on here? Is the QC going down hill? Should I send these back?
Interesting post. Now I am kind of curious to put some of my loafers back to back. Never really paid much attention to that. I guess to me the answer is, how do they feel? If they feel fine and it doesn't really bother you, I would say keep. If they don't. Return.
Cap week continues. 4065 from TSM today
d85c107fbcef44a0f9e21fd4f65d1a16.jpg
f7fd05affef5669e89d3ffde9694e60f.jpg
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Killer stylish Don. Killer.
I hate that panicky feeling I get when I miss something but feel so at ease when they arent my size.
Welcome to the Alden Army.
Picked up color 8 LWB from Bureau. Extremely pleased with them, the welts have clean stitching and I love the antique sole. They're also appear to have a little more shade of brown compared to the indys.
Variation between color 8
You should be pleased with those. They look ridiculously amazing.
Wasn't there a guy on this thread maybe a year or two ago that had some sort of family emergency and needed cash quick? I think he sold a couple of pairs of ravello boots and when our little community heard of the troubles, several offered to pay more for the boots. I think he ended up with a couple of grand for two pairs of gently used exotic shell boots. Does this sound correct?
That is a correct story. I believe he was selling a Ravello and Cigar Boot. Both exceptionally rare vintage makeups. A Cigar Jumper comes to mind for some reason.
King Commando Barrie NST x CitiShoes
Very good looking King NST!
Whiskey PTB and EP Rivet chinos today.
That is like DonL quality right there. Nicely done.
Yet another crummy weather day here. These = comfort.
I see that you are sharing our weather today. Looking good.
Whiskey Thursday. Whoops.
Very nice J! Great looking LWBs. :)
Frans Boone Parajumpers today. Saw a post on reddit where a guy had Alden recraft his leather soled boots onto a commando sole. I was under the impression this was not an option. Anyone know anything about this? I'd love to switch these boots onto commando when I wear through the leather sole.
Very nice looking Boots my friend. So beautiful. Yeah, I saw that post on Reddit. I don't know if that was an exception, like catching the right person on the right day or if they may be considering being more flexible on resoles.
New acquisition
Very nice and congrats on picking those up! -Mike

AndersonJamesRR

Reaction score
It looks like there is a pair of the Lost & Found Reverse Earth Chamois Indy's 10.5 available on TSM Seconds. It's a great boot, I have a pair.

Dunno if someone already mentioned it.

MT1982

Reaction score
Was this in reply to my question about seeing seconds? if so, it didn't work...

Searching fds worked for me as well. You can log into the site and then tack alden-exclusive onto the end of the URL like so - https://www.theshoemart.com/alden-exclusive.

Dig those laces - what are they? Your boots are wearing in nicely - I remember when you first got them. They seem to be fading fast, which is a good thing in my opinion. I want my cigars to fade more.

Last edited:

Tichoblanco

Reaction score
Dig those laces - what are they? Your boots are wearing in nicely - I remember when you first got them. They seem to be fading fast, which is a good thing in my opinion. I want my cigars to fade more.

Thanks man, they are laces I grabbed off a pair of Vass boots I used to own. Alden stole the original laces when I sent them in for refinishing last year and returned them with weird sneaker laces. Still scratching my head on that one. I'm just about two years in on these, my favorite boots by far.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Frans Boone Parajumpers today.

Saw a post on reddit where a guy had Alden recraft his leather soled boots onto a commando sole. I was under the impression this was not an option. Anyone know anything about this? I'd love to switch these boots onto commando when I wear through the leather sole.

I'm not sure that I've seen a nicer color 8 Boot than this. Grant last, minimalist design, dark edges, and some brass to add a little 'edge' to them. And the color is great. I'd have a topy added and keep moving. No way I'd commando those.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On Aberdeen? If so, do you feel it's too dressy for jeans?

Aberdeen, and I don't think they're too dressy for jeans. Personally I only wear jeans on weekends and I typically pair more casual makeups like Chamois and CXL with them.

bkdc

Reaction score
Sleek lasts look just fine with jeans.

A while ago, someone posted photos of brand new #8 shell boots that had been treated with 3 rounds Saphir Renomat which appeared to strip the dark purple stain and reveal the more natural #8 color underneath. Is this the real deal? I guess I should just give it a try.

Last edited:

Alpina

Reaction score

A while ago, someone posted photos of brand new #8 shell boots that had been treated with 3 rounds Saphir Renomat which appeared to strip the dark purple stain and reveal the more natural #8 color underneath.  Is this the real deal?  I guess I should just give it a try.

I forget who that was (and I don't know how to view on my phone the posts I thumbed up). I would really like to see how they are looking now.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

A while ago, someone posted photos of brand new #8 shell boots that had been treated with 3 rounds Saphir Renomat which appeared to strip the dark purple stain and reveal the more natural #8 color underneath.  Is this the real deal?  I guess I should just give it a try.

@bkdc I believe that was @bkotsko and yes that was the real deal.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A while ago, someone posted photos of brand new #8 shell boots that had been treated with 3 rounds Saphir Renomat which appeared to strip the dark purple stain and reveal the more natural #8 color underneath. Is this the real deal? I guess I should just give it a try.
So I was doing this with the intention of removing the acrylic coating on the shell, and allowing the patina from regular wear to shine through.
There will be some lightening of the color due to the removal of the acrylic, but this process will definitely remove some of the inherent protection that the acrylic offers.
I have many pairs of color 8 shell cap toe boots, and wanted to experiment with a pair in order to work on the patina, specifically.
I am also not treating them to any additional Renovateur or polish, other than the occasional light brushing to keep them clean.

I forget who that was (and I don't know how to view on my phone the posts I thumbed up). I would really like to see how they are looking now.
Raises hand...

katch

Reaction score

Aberdeen, and I don't think they're too dressy for jeans. Personally I only wear jeans on weekends and I typically pair more casual makeups like Chamois and CXL with them.

Trying to decide on aberdeen or barrie lasted tankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads