• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they make my 1000 Mile boots feel like wearing newspapers on my feet in terms of comfort and support. But I still love those too anyway.

I have the Dalton in Cordovan, the Higgins Mill and a few other AE boots. These 403 are more comfortable to me for long days. I bought the Indy Cordovan boot off of eBay and the 403 off eBay and now I just picked up the Hunter Green ones.....it's a great boot.

That 1000 mile boot is made by Allen Edmonds isn't it?

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, the cordovan wingtip boots really blew me away. I have these AE Daltons that I had made in Oxblood with Dainite soles which I don't wear very often... They look great, but they just feel really red to me when I put them on.

I now see that what I was after was that look of shell. I guess I'll join that club soon enough.

I have both and prefer the Dalton in oxeblood to the Alden number 8 wing boot..in terms of looks...not even close IMHO...however no doubt the alden is built better.

My oxebloods have a terrific color to them...maybe use some black polish to temper the red.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New International Purchases..... I was leery of buying and shipping from overseas but both were excellent experiences.

Fransboone Indy- very impressed with shipping and service. Will buy again.

Tanker Trubalance Boot from The Bureau Belfast - Merchants & Missionaries. I read from this forum about how fast the shipping was and so true.

Ordered on Monday, had them by Wednesday at 3PM. Very impressed.

They fit well with my Alden family of Cordovan boots.

Shoe boxes in the background from The Container store. I highly recommend them for protection and anti mold.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks to @seasquirrel for parting with these navy CXL LWBs. Barrie last, natural edge and welt, single waterloc sole. Who says I have no style? BTW, @seasquirrel was great to work with if anyone happens to need to do some buying and selling with him.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @seasquirrel for parting with these navy CXL LWBs. Barrie last, natural edge and welt, single waterloc sole. Who says I have no style? BTW, @seasquirrel was great to work with if anyone happens to need to do some buying and selling with him.

Those are awesome, you can never have too many blue shoes (at least that is what I tell myself since I have so many and have a serious weakness for a blue in anything) in your rotation. Congrats!

Last edited:

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
I have both and prefer the Dalton in oxeblood to the Alden number 8 wing boot..in terms of looks...not even close IMHO...however no doubt the alden is built better.

My oxebloods have a terrific color to them...maybe use some black polish to temper the red.

My Daltons look great, and the black burnishing is what drew me to them to begin with for sure, but that deep #8 is just really nice!

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Daltons look great, and the black burnishing is what drew me to them to begin with for sure, but that deep #8 is just really nice!

yes...for sure didnt mean to come off like i dont like the #8...there is just something sexy about the Dalton Oxeblood.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I personally love the red of the oxblood and that would be my choice in that boot..I think you have to enjoy both for what they are. They are both great boots.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but not sure how anyone can come to that conclusion. If you are talking about exclusively the color of oxblood compared to color 8, I suppose you could make the case, but it would make more sense to compare shell to shell rather than calf to shell. As far as the overall look of the wingtip boot (color and design) IMHO there is no comparison.

I had both the Dalton in walnut shell and the ravello wt boot. Take a look for yourself and decide which you would sell in favor of the other...

Warning AE fans, this won't be pretty...

I think Alden does the wingtip boot quite well, especially color 8.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but not sure how anyone can come to that conclusion. If you are talking about exclusively the color of oxblood compared to color 8, I suppose you could make the case, but it would make more sense to compare shell to shell rather than calf to shell. As far as the overall look of the wingtip boot (color and design) IMHO there is no comparison.

I had both the Dalton in walnut shell and the ravello wt boot. Take a look for yourself and decide which you would sell in favor of the other...

Warning AE fans, this won't be pretty...

I think Alden does the wingtip boot quite well, especially color 8.

Yeah, the Alden wins IMHO and I am a big AE fan. Dalton looks blocky up next to the curved lined Alden WT boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads