• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Texas, those look very good. Its a nice combination with the Green Suede and Brass Eyelets.

-Mike

You know you'll end up with some hunting suede eventually, Dubsy ;)

clementFR

Reaction score
Instead of posting a ton of pictures here, I will just inform you all that I have posted up a slew of my recent acquisitions up on my AoSD blog... They can be found here:
http://aldenofsandiego.com/category/thoughts-and-blog/new-additions/

This includes the:
Color #8 LHS
Whiskey Monk
Black Shell George Boot
Snuff Suede Tassel
Navy Suede Tassel
Cigar Semi-Brogue
Cigar PTBs
Whiskey LHS

I still have several more to post all of my pictures up on, but will keep working on it here shortly...

Cheers,
Mike

Mike, that is excellent.
I see you have the CXL wing tips in blue. I have the Indys in the same making. To maintain them I only use brushing and Saphir universal cream, and more brushing on them. Is that what you would suggest ?

Cheers

Last edited:

TommyB

Reaction score
Back home after the annual visit to the US. Only one pair of Aldens were waiting for me this year, a pair of #8 WT boots on Plaza (antique edge, commando sole) from JGilbert.

These will probably be "brassified", the hooks might also be replaced with eyelets. Prefer all eyelets but not sure how it will look since the hooks are not sitting straight above the eyelets, so it won't be a straight line of eyelets.

Last edited:

bkdc

Reaction score
Hello Gents. I'm hoping I didn't damage my shell Cordovan. This is my first pair. I'm looking for some reassurance or advice.
Earlier today I splashed some rain on the shoe. I figured it was not a big deal. I wiped it away with a towel once I got to work. Later I noticed a small dark spot remained. Once I got home I brushed and buffed the spot. Now I have this smudge. If you look close, the dark spot is still there in the center of the smudge. I haven't used any oils, waxes, or cleaners. I'm hoping I've just buffed away a small patch of the original wax coat and need to re-apply wax. Is this normal? Thanks for helping.

Do absolutely NOTHING until it is absolutely 100% dry. Let it air dry naturally (no heat, no oven, no blowdryer) at room temperature. Once you are sure it is completely dry (I would wait two days), some pressure with a conditioner like Saphir Renovateur or Venetian Cream and very firm pressure should bring it back to normal.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's been almost 2 years and 20-25 wears and my barrie lasted Alden x JCrew #8 captoe boots still don't feel broken in. I remember my RL Marlow wingtips taking some time but probably after 10-15 wears they were quite comfortable. The heel padding seems to be cut funny and overflows beneath the arch of my foot, so the arch isn't laying on a uniform surface since I'm unable to wear it down sufficiently (hard to explain). Maybe this last isn't for me. I've tried on the Plaza in stores and it was immediately comfortable, likewise w/ the flex welted alden loafers I have on the ?Copley last. Rain last and a couple different AE lasts work well for me, Simpson and Vass U not so much. Should these boots still feel uncomfortable after an average workday? They were a special gift to myself for rocking one of my big licensing exams in medschool so I don't want to part w/ them if I don't have to, but I've been thinking about it more and more.

It's hard for me to get a sense of what the issue is but my experience with any shoe is that it shouldn't take that long to break in. My jcrews probably get more winter time wear than any other pair of footwear due to its versatility and my feet feel as good at the end of 10-12 hours as they did at the start of the day. From what you describe, it really sounds like more of an issue with your particular boot than the last. Maybe shoot Alden CS an email. I hope it works out for you as it really is a great boot.

prez

Reaction score
Guys check my signature, I am listing a Cigar Dover plain toe blucher. Cheers.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Instead of posting a ton of pictures here, I will just inform you all that I have posted up a slew of my recent acquisitions up on my AoSD blog... They can be found here:
http://aldenofsandiego.com/category/thoughts-and-blog/new-additions/

This includes the:
Color #8 LHS
Whiskey Monk
Black Shell George Boot
Snuff Suede Tassel
Navy Suede Tassel
Cigar Semi-Brogue
Cigar PTBs
Whiskey LHS

I still have several more to post all of my pictures up on, but will keep working on it here shortly...

Cheers,
Mike

Just put up the following:

Navy CXL WT Boot
Color #8 Plaza Saddle
Color #8 Aberdeen NST Boot
Color #8 6-Eyelet NST Chukka Boot
Black Shell Cordovan Wingtip Boots
Whiskey PTB
Cigar NST Blucher

And doing the last one that I haven't posted yet... the Raven Ryden.

-Mike

Mike - good to see you finally get a few pair of Aldens.

sanomnia

Reaction score
May I know if anybody would found Saphir Renovateur or cordovan cream darken your light colored shells? I got a gut feel on this but not sure if anyone else share the same feeling or can explain why does that happen...

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bummer, probably a good thing though for my sake. Do European retailers generally run just E?
Also a bit strange since I thought posting rare shell online was banned by Alden

Typically only E widths yes in the EU. I don't know why. D widths are very hard to come by for some reason...

Why has Alden banned this (if its true)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads