• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hope this question isn't appropriate.  I was just wondering, due to collecting (whatever you want to call) Alden's being a pretty expensive hobby, does everyone here just make boatloads of cash or is it something that you just budget for and or occasionally splurge?  Just curious, sorry if this is a rude question. 

I would assume not everyone here is vastly wealthy, but there are probably some who are just based on the collections. you buy what you like. if you think Aldens are expensive, don't get into watches.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The full mcarthur

Shell, Marcoliani, cobblestone

nephew,
my favorite navy

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of 9015s from DC. Great dealing with Kathy, as always, and this pair is super nice. You can see some of the eggplant undertones coming through in the second photo. Even better, the Hampton last fits my foot perfectly.
nephew, one of alden's best model, wear only in good health. looks best with suit and necktie

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uncle, great to see you back!

Unlined, tan suede PTBs, Alden for J Crew (I like the eyelets). Great summer foot wear. Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I came home today to my new LWB in black, made on the Barrie last. I also have a PTB made on the same last. I was surprised to find the LWB seemed to fit better around the foot and to look sleeker from an external appearance. I'm not sure if this just means there is a subtle difference in design or that the LWB was simply pulled tighter to the last when it was constructed. Not sure if I will every discover the reason. No matter the reason, I really like them and am happy with my shell rotation..... For now. No maiden voyage today, but the initial try-on was captured for posterity.

BenLeaman

Reaction score

I would assume not everyone here is vastly wealthy, but there are probably some who are just based on the collections. you buy what you like. if you think Aldens are expensive, don't get into watches.

^^^^this

To add, additionally steer clear of Edward Green.

Last edited:

RobinM

Reaction score

Not everyone is a braggart, but they are plentiful on SF. Cars, watches, shoes, wines, you name it.

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad's birthday is coming and he only wears loafer (the whole family are lazybones lol), which design best suitable for 60s businessmen?

I've got no idea as I avoided loafer myself that reminds me wearing like him.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hope this question isn't appropriate. I was just wondering, due to collecting (whatever you want to call) Alden's being a pretty expensive hobby, does everyone here just make boatloads of cash or is it something that you just budget for and or occasionally splurge? Just curious, sorry if this is a rude question.

Many other posters here have hit some of the more salient points. The members run the spectrum of income, numbers of shoes and time spent in gathering their styles. Some just consider their shoes part of the wardrobe and others are fanatical. I think there are a significant number of people on the Alden thread who selectively wait and save for a limited number of classic styles that will work for them for years.

As for the "collectors," have found that everybody has some side interest that consumes their time and money. Watches and other fine shoes have been mentioned. But the guy down the street who has the really nice muscle car in his garage has tens of thousands invested in it, as opposed to shoes. Same thing for the guy with the country club membership. Are you a snow skier? Same thing. Tennis club? Mistress? Artwork? Wine collection? The guys with the really nice shoe collection, and I won't even mention the mayor because it might hurt his feelings, just choose to make shoes their thing instead of some other interest that usually costs far more. EDIT: In the time I took to write, @RobinM mentioned some of the same points and I am certainly in line with his comments.

Last edited:

epc2

Reaction score
I used to be in RC(radio control) sailplanes and helis but not the toys you now find at any walmart etc, I mean European competition machines made of carbon Fiber and Kevlar with top pf the line electrical components, and I don't even want to think about how much I used to spend on that hobby, I find Aldens cheap when I compare. :)

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden's far practicable hobby than my cameras and head-fi.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Wow! Those ravello NST are just a dream!!!

Today one of my favourite shoes: Cap Toe bluchers Nr. 2170 in #8.
Havent seen those in here yet.

Thank you @andiandi , I appreciate the comments. Those Ravello NSTs are getting nicer each time that I wear them.

Those Color 8 Straight Tip Bluchers.

The full mcarthur

Shell, Marcoliani, cobblestone

Looking good Nephew, those are looking good. Uncle Mac would (apparently is) proud of your ensemble, however, he owns no 2-eyelet Chukka boots... ;-)

Mike,

Nice shots of the NST's and PCT bals...was thinking about selling mine but man, those look good.

Leisure Friday for me.

@RevisIsland thanks my friend! Which were you thinking of selling the PCT Bals or the NSTs? Either way, they are both exceptional models. The NSTs are a great all around pattern and the PCT Bals are great for those days where you need to up the antee some.

Ravello WTBs yesterday

You and @sazon killed the Ravello WT Boots this week!

Ravello and Chups kind of day.

Looking very good today in your Ravello + CHUPs. A great combination with your khakis.

That ensemble with the per cap toe is stellar. Same with the black grain calf/color 8 shell cordos. Thursday's outfit, also. As always, very nice.

General question for everyone: do you have trees in all your shoes/boots/chukkas? I'm guessing they're not needed for suede? Much appreciated.

Thank you @Chris6 . I put trees in all of my shoes, period. Sometimes I am lazy to @zippy , but I always get them in there after a day or so of trees piling up under my coffee table.

For any of the more experienced owners out there: Unlined Suede LHS - Use of shoe trees, yes or no?

Ay!

#8 PTB on get-away Friday. Happy 4th to you guys. Black shell Longwings from TSM when I get home today. Happy 4th of July to me!

Looking good in your #8 PTBs today! Thank you, you please have a good, fun, and safe Forth of July as well.

The 9751 is a great and classic model that is pretty versatile, so enjoy them! Hard to top the Gunboat.

I use shoe trees in all my Aldens, including suede.

Picked up a pair of 9015s from DC. Great dealing with Kathy, as always, and this pair is super nice. You can see some of the eggplant undertones coming through in the second photo. Even better, the Hampton last fits my foot perfectly.

Congratulations on your new Color 8 PCT Balmorals. See above as to how they are a great and versatile model. I hope that you get many years of good wear out of them and that they bring you business success. +1 for going with my gal. Also good to hear that you are getting a great fit!

Whiskey LHS and a delicious sammich.

Both of those look scrumptious!

Uncle, great to see you back!

Unlined, tan suede PTBs, Alden for J Crew (I like the eyelets). Great summer foot wear. Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!

Looking great bud! Good to see that lovely lawn, especially since I have been abiding by the California draught rules and have allowed mine to slowly die out.

I came home today to my new LWB in black, made on the Barrie last. I also have a PTB made on the same last. I was surprised to find the LWB seemed to fit better around the foot and to look sleeker from an external appearance. I'm not sure if this just means there is a subtle difference in design or that the LWB was simply pulled tighter to the last when it was constructed. Not sure if I will every discover the reason. No matter the reason, I really like them and am happy with my shell rotation..... For now. No maiden voyage today, but the initial try-on was captured for posterity.

Yeah, it is interesting how sometimes the multiple pieces of material can slightly impact the feel and fit of the shoes. The LWB pattern is good for drawing the eye horizontally and making them look slightly sleeker.

Looking stellar as always @Profligate47 . Those are just a great and timeless model! Always hard to beat the 975, 986, or 990 classics!

I used to be in RC(radio control) sailplanes and helis but not the toys you now find at any walmart etc, I mean European competition machines made of carbon Fiber and Kevlar with top pf the line electrical components, and I don't even want to think about how much I used to spend on that hobby, I find Aldens cheap when I compare.
smile.gif

Ha! My dad has the equivalent of my Alden collection in model aircraft. He tried to get me into flying RC helos, but I got really tired of flying it for 5 minutes and fixing it for 3 hours (not to mention the cost for constantly replacing the back end of the bird..) :)

-Mike

Chris6

Reaction score

Watches and other fine shoes have been mentioned. But the guy down the street who has the really nice muscle car in his garage has tens of thousands invested in it, as opposed to shoes. Same thing for the guy with the country club membership. Are you a snow skier? Same thing. Tennis club? Mistress? Artwork? Wine collection?

Ha be careful of this one! Along with money, they usually cost you a house(s), your car(s), watches, and that wine collection you can't get because the locks to your house have been changed! I'm 35 so I'm not speaking from personal experience, just witnessed a time or two.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads