• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in 2013, @bkotsko posted a demographic survey in the old Alden thread. The results and following comments start here. I think the design of the survey underestimated income levels, and the "and up" value should have been higher than $300K to get a more accurate distribution.

Anyway, it's one take that may help answer your question. (regular disclaimers apply: who volunteers to take an income survey, how significant is n=87, internet self-inflation, as some suggest...)
Thanks for the reminder, @Alpina
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Although I am sure the demographics have changed, the results were definitely interesting.
I agree about some of the shortcomings. (income, self inflation, etc..)
The n=87 was a fairly good spread of Alden forum participants.
I am sure it could be expanded.
It would be great if someone revamped it and followed through with a new survey.

HenryIII

Reaction score

Back from a weekend vacation to Seattle with the Mrs...
Tuesday. Alden Color 8 Perforated Cap Toe Balmorals. Marcoliani Purple Argyles OTC. Epaulet Navy Donegal Tweed Walt Trousers.
Wednesday. Alden Black Grain Calf and Color 8 Shell Cordovan Saddles. Epaulet Charcoal Houndstooth Trousers.
Thursday. Alden Ravello Shell Cordovan NST Bluchers. JCrew Navy Anchor Socks. Brooks Bros Navy Houndstooth Slacks.
-Mike
Great color and patina on the PCTs, Mike. Beautiful

Neognosis

Reaction score
I think it might be worth a post to point out that there are some, like myself, who follow this thread who aren't Alden "collectors" or "hobbyists."

I only own one pair of Aldens. In my opinion, the cost per wear will be equal to or hopefully lower than that for any of the "Mall" brands, and I intend to own these shoes for the rest of my life, hopefully another 50 years or so. There's also the added pleasure of owning quality, durable goods that are superior to what others are wearing.

I'll also buy another pair at some point, put possibly not for a year or years.

I have a modest salary and four children.

Though I don't have money for nonessential shoe purchases, I believe firmly in owning fewer things of higher, lasting quality.

I check this thread every few days because when I do make another Alden purchase, I want to be informed and make my purchase a wise one, because I don't have the money to make multiple, nonessential purchases.

Alpina

Reaction score
I think it might be worth a post to point out that there are some, like myself, who follow this thread who aren't Alden "collectors" or "hobbyists."

I only own one pair of Aldens. In my opinion, the cost per wear will be equal to or hopefully lower than that for any of the "Mall" brands, and I intend to own these shoes for the rest of my life, hopefully another 50 years or so. There's also the added pleasure of owning quality, durable goods that are superior to what others are wearing.

I'll also buy another pair at some point, put possibly not for a year or years.

I have a modest salary and four children.

Though I don't have money for nonessential shoe purchases, I believe firmly in owning fewer things of higher, lasting quality.

I check this thread every few days because when I do make another Alden purchase, I want to be informed and make my purchase a wise one, because I don't have the money to make multiple, nonessential purchases.
I love this post. With a modest salary and four children, buying a pair of Aldens is smart money.

Chris6

Reaction score

Back from a weekend vacation to Seattle with the Mrs... Tuesday. Alden Color 8 Perforated Cap Toe Balmorals. Marcoliani Purple Argyles OTC. Epaulet Navy Donegal Tweed Walt Trousers.
Wednesday. Alden Black Grain Calf and Color 8 Shell Cordovan Saddles. Epaulet Charcoal Houndstooth Trousers.
Thursday. Alden Ravello Shell Cordovan NST Bluchers. JCrew Navy Anchor Socks. Brooks Bros Navy Houndstooth Slacks.
-Mike
That ensemble with the per cap toe is stellar. Same with the black grain calf/color 8 shell cordos. Thursday's outfit, also. As always, very nice. General question for everyone: do you have trees in all your shoes/boots/chukkas? I'm guessing they're not needed for suede? Much appreciated.

Webbo

Reaction score
For any of the more experienced owners out there: Unlined Suede LHS - Use of shoe trees, yes or no?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
#8 PTB on get-away Friday. Happy 4th to you guys. Black shell Longwings from TSM when I get home today. Happy 4th of July to me!

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't always use trees in my unlined suede (LHS and chukkas) but that's mostly due to laziness. They don't really seem to suffer from no trees.

Chris6

Reaction score

I hope this question isn't appropriate.  I was just wondering, due to collecting (whatever you want to call) Alden's being a pretty expensive hobby, does everyone here just make boatloads of cash or is it something that you just budget for and or occasionally splurge?  Just curious, sorry if this is a rude question. 

It's like buying a nice pair of jeans. Some things are smart to spend on, a quality shoe is one of those. Alden's, and many others, will last many years if you take care of them. I'll gladly spend money on shoes that will still look great in 10 years. On the other hand, judging by the pants, sock, and collection size, some people here just have boatloads of money.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of 9015s from DC. Great dealing with Kathy, as always, and this pair is super nice. You can see some of the eggplant undertones coming through in the second photo. Even better, the Hampton last fits my foot perfectly.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats those are beauties. I agree the Hampton last is super comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads