• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had to be Tanker Wednesday for me this week. Commando and falling snow is a perfect match.

blue peter

Reaction score
I've found some mention of this topic in previous years but wanted to get more current opinions - thoughts on adding toe and/or heel taps to aldens? do they really add years to the sole? are they uncomfortable to walk in? thoughts? thank you!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've found some mention of this topic in previous years but wanted to get more current opinions - thoughts on adding toe and/or heel taps to aldens? do they really add years to the sole? are they uncomfortable to walk in? thoughts? thank you!

I've never had a set added but last year I bought a pair of cap toes from somebody that had added toe taps and I'll say that they do not change the comfort of the shoe while walking (and I walk on hard surfaces a lot) and they do indeed seem to add some durability to the sole, especially for people like me who really push off on their toes while the walk. I have a couple pair of shoes that are getting close to needing a re-sole and I think I will probably add taps to them.

bantone

Reaction score
Got my Longwings from my Grailed order I mentioned earlier in this thread a few days ago.

They fit great! Minor scuffs but overall the condition of the leather is 9.5/10.

Comparing them to my AE Strands

A much richer color in the Aldens. I bought these Longwings for $235 including the dang shoe trees! I saved $350 on the entire buy :) I also like the longwing look more than I thought.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my Longwings from my Grailed order I mentioned earlier in this thread a few days ago.

They fit great! Minor scuffs but overall the condition of the leather is 9.5/10.

A much richer color in the Aldens. I bought these Longwings for $235 including the dang shoe trees! I saved $350 on the entire buy :) I also like the longwing look more than I thought.

Congrats! Great deal.

Last edited:

orionz06

Reaction score
If you want it with hooks on the Grant, then Alden DC is your place. It's model number 4060HC. Commando sole included.

-Mike

They're awaiting another batch now, on the list.
http://www.fransboonestore.com/coll...-stock-of-alden-cordovan-8-parajumper-boots-1
you just missed the best grant last cap toe boot...
the next shippment wil be in normal eyelet....no more brass hardware
Those would have been perfect!

Unionmade just put some restocked Alden #8 models on their site. Including the Halleck Wingtip Boot.

Steve
Blah! The boots look good but really assure me that I want the Grant last for the cap toes.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ravello ptb and ep rivets

I wish my (brown)-vello PTBs looked like these. Where are these from DV? [Edit: sorry, should have read ahead] I like the commando soles for this particular makeup.

Last edited:

kelpqq

Reaction score
Gents,

As promised, here are the CitiShoes Snuff Suede Indys on Barrie, model D5902C

All eyelets
360 storm welt
raised moc toe stitching (hand stitched?)
antique edge
Commando sole
unlined tongue

I quite like this special make up except the eylelets, they were hard to get on at first.

I also have the AOM version on trubalance, the Citi version is definitely more snug, but could be from being new, now I am going to decide which one to keep:slayer:

Ok guys, pick up the phone, Citi is/was running a 30% special on them

Last edited:

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My graintrippers came today. I know puckering happens but I have the feeling this might be excessive and in an uncommon area. Im not overly picky about finish on Alden as I know its hit or miss but this is a bit more alarming to me. Im not really concerned about the toe but the instep is a high stress area. How would you guys go about handling this one?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
First day in Aldens

Looking superb for your first day in Aldens!

Had to be Tanker Wednesday for me this week. Commando and falling snow is a perfect match.

Those NST Tankers are just superb! Enjoy them today!

Those LWBs are looking superb and it sounds like you got a great deal! Enjoy your new Aldies!

AODC Grant Ravello Cap's

DonL, you are looking as suave as always, this time in your Ravello CT Boots. Keep warm and enjoy them in good health!

Gents,

As promised, here are the CitiShoes Snuff Suede Indys on Barrie, model D5902C

All eyelets
360 storm welt
raised moc toe stitching (hand stitched?)
antique edge
Commando sole
unlined tongue

I quite like this special make up except the eylelets, they were hard to get on at first.

I also have the AOM version on trubalance, the Citi version is definitely more snug, but could be from being new, now I am going to decide which one to keep:slayer:

Ok guys, pick up the phone, Citi is/was running a 30% special on them

Those Snuff Indy boots are looking superb! They should take good care of you!

My graintrippers came today. I know puckering happens but I have the feeling this might be excessive and in an uncommon area. Im not overly picky about finish on Alden as I know its hit or miss but this is a bit more alarming to me. Im not really concerned about the toe but the instep is a high stress area. How would you guys go about handling this one?

Those Black Grain boots are looking good, however, I have only seen the internal stitching like that a few times here, I would contact Leffot and see what they can do for you. I personally am apprehensive about their future durability, however, I have no past experience with this to indicate that it actually is problematic.

-Mike

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Black Grain boots are looking good, however, I have only seen the internal stitching like that a few times here, I would contact Leffot and see what they can do for you. I personally am apprehensive about their future durability, however, I have no past experience with this to indicate that it actually is problematic.

-Mike
Thanks for the advice, Mike. They're such wonderful boots otherwise, not a single loose stitch and the welt joins are spot on. I'm going to shoot Leffot an email tomorrow to see what they think about it. The durability aspect of it is what is bothering me. Each little puckering mark has a hole into the midsole area which will certainly let in water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads