• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Indy Appreciation Thread

DooWopMario

Reaction score
Below are photos of the Foot Balance rubber heel cap which Alden uses for their cork sole Indy boots. My experience has been that the Alden cap wears relatively fast. The SoleTech brand of aftermarket heel caps fits the Alden Thomas heel and seems to provide 50% more longevity than the Alden heel cap. Specifically, for my boots I wear thru 3 pairs of the Alden heel caps each year, and the Sole Tech heel caps require replacement twice per year. View attachment 1601214 View attachment 1601220
View attachment 1601221
Has anyone else used these Soletech heel caps to replace the original Alden Foot Balance heels? I'm considering getting several of these at about $13 a pair on ebay to have when I need to re-heel my boots.

Soundchasr

Reaction score
That size width is too narrow a width for you.
How is the length ? If it's at all short go up a .5 size in length and down one width more narrow.
Also, instead of the CXL model 403 you will find that the calf model 405 upper is a bit more sturdy.

Interesting that you said they were too narrow (did you mean wide?). I thought they might be too wide. I have a ton of room. Had to put an insert to fill some room. They're a 12E. I tried the 12D's on and they were a bit snug. I probably need a 12.5D but can't find them anywhere - that's why I went with the 12E.

Soundchasr

Reaction score
I was more wondering if the bulge on the right shoe was a defect. I'm ok if their a bit big overall but the bulge on the right shoe (when I'm not wearing them) seemed weird.

DG123

Reaction score
Interesting that you said they were too narrow (did you mean wide?). I thought they might be too wide. I have a ton of room. Had to put an insert to fill some room. They're a 12E. I tried the 12D's on and they were a bit snug. I probably need a 12.5D but can't find them anywhere - that's why I went with the 12E.

My previous post included a typo, sorry. Yes, the boots are too wide a width for you.
The Alden Shop, SF has in their current inventory 5 pairs of size 12.5D Indy boots.

DG123

Reaction score
I was more wondering if the bulge on the right shoe was a defect. I'm ok if their a bit big overall but the bulge on the right shoe (when I'm not wearing them) seemed weird.

I looked at the photos you enclosed and notice two pairs a model 403 and a model 405.
Is the 405 also a size 12E?
Did the 403 bulge at the sides when brand new never worn or only after you wore the pair for a bit of time ?

Soundchasr

Reaction score
I looked at the photos you enclosed and notice two pairs a model 403 and a model 405.
Is the 405 also a size 12E?
Did the 403 bulge at the sides when brand new never worn or only after you wore the pair for a bit of time ?

The photos I posted were just of the 403s I bought. They are brand new. The left shoe was fine and the right had a bulge. I ended up returning them for another of the same since Alden of NY had another 12E.

Alden of SF doesn't have any 403s that I can see.

DG123

Reaction score
The photos I posted were just of the 403s I bought. They are brand new. The left shoe was fine and the right had a bulge. I ended up returning them for another of the same since Alden of NY had another 12E.

Alden of SF doesn't have any 403s that I can see.

Style 403 appears at the middle of the list.

Soundchasr

Reaction score
Any tips on how to tone down the color of the welt?

Attachments

• 20230207_155115.jpg
    20230207_155115.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 147

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any tips on how to tone down the color of the welt?

Unless I'm mistaken that leather is basically unfinished. As the others said, it will dull out and change color with wear. I recommand applying a conditionner like Pecard's or Canadian Bee Seal on it, it speeds up the color changing process a little.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads