• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hobbit (film series)

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I had to go. And I would have gone in any case. But still.

2) The changes to the story don’t seem to have made it any better. So why make them? I mean, if you want crazy action sequences, fine, put them in (though I could do without) but why change the story otherwise? Why, e.g., do the elves have to save them from the spiders? Why did they take out Thorin shooting the stag, or Bombur falling in the stream and then falling asleep? Could have played that for laughs.

I hope Jackson played Ramble On during the barrel scene.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The barrel scene just totally epitomises what's been wrong with Jackson's action scenes. How the **** can you reconcile Ian McKellan's excellent realism in his acting when you have freaking ten pin bowling in the next scene?

If you want to make a freaking Disney movie, make a Disney movie.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you guys think that these movies can be edited to be good or great?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Edited down? I think there's probably a pretty solid 3 hour movie in all this.

lefty

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I was asking.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from all the differences from the book, I enjoyed it quite a lot, much better than the first. It didn´t feel as childish, though yes, the barrel part was a bit overkill (but still fun).
Cumberbatch´s voice surprised me. I knew he´d do a great job but jeez, he really gave an amazing depth to Smaug. And Smau himself looked like nothing I´ve ever seen; he must be one of the greatest characters ever created.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Broke down and saw it with the rest of the extended family. Was more entertaining than the first one, but still a bit long and drawn out. Gandalf v. Sauron was cool. Legolas also looks like he's put on 20lbs - which I frankly think looks better than the thin waif he was in LOTR.

Saving grace of the whole movie though is the closing credits song, "I See Fire" by Ed Sheeran.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contrary to many here, I loved the film. I enjoyed Smaug, but if anything was drawn out it was the Smaug scene. The fight scene was insanely boring. But, Bilbo's conversation with Smaug was almost as enjoyable as Gandalf in Dol Guldur. The barrel scene was pure fun.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My god, this movie nearly put me to sleep on a level of Peter Jackson's King Kong. I mean honestly, there were a couple of fun sequences but it just wasn't all that engaging. Ironically, the character I liked most was Kate who isn't even in the novel. Just like the first film, the best scene was Bilbo simply exchanging dialogue with a compelling character (Smaug, in this case) but even that became sleep inducing after a while.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's a good 45 minute movie (Smaug) buried somewhere in this mess.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Maybe they'll be a good 2 hour fan cut of all three movies when everything is done.

I hope so for future generations, but I won't be rewatching.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Maybe they'll be a good 2 hour fan cut of all three movies when everything is done.

That works out about right, roughly five minutes per page, about the same ratio as LotR.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with most of your critiques Manton (and am trying to pen some of my own), but I can't wrap my head around that math. 5 minutes per page of the Hobbit = a 2 hours film? (Or was that supposed to be ½ a minute per page?)

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I was thinking, roughly 100 pages per hour. LotR is around 1,000 pages and made a fine 9 hour film, or even 11 if you count the extended editions. So, yes, math is wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads