• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hobbit (film series)

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turning The Hobbit into a trilogy was a greedy, cynical decision that was bound to result in 3 mediocre (at best) movies.

Leomon

Reaction score
This Hobbit thing kind of reminds me on the Star Wars prequels, which where a lot worse, but it's the same thing, they wanna live of something great from the past. On their one I don't thing the people would love them that much.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a sick, sick bastard.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly I'm surprised that anyone cares at this point. LOTR was bad enough.

Bad Taste coming out in 1080p would be much bigger news to me than yet another movie with Hobbits.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saw it last night.

First off the 3D sucks as always, but they screened in 24fps so that was a saving grace. I believe the 48fps will only be seen in a few theatres. Avoid it.

It's better than the first movie - more action, less stupid - but still fails to live up to the LotR trilogy and is ultimately unsatisfying.

Orlando Bloom still can't act.

Evangeline Lilly has a major major role that is unnecessary.

Her flirtation/fascination with Killi was just odd.

Radagast shows up to do nothing again.

And the action is typical game-like movie making - pointless over-the-top CGI stunts that just leave you with a headache. The barrel escape, which could have been interesting, kept going and going and finally turned into Dinosaur Alley from King Kong - the worst sequence in that movie.

One of the biggest issues is the 161 minute length. Every action scene sequence is padded. Smaug, who started out great, grew pretty tiring as he was on for so long.

About the only thing that was cool was seeing the "birth" of Sauron.

Even seeing Gandalf actually use magic couldn't bring much magic to the movie.

lefty

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Jackson, basically, sux. LoTR was great, a genuine accomplishment. King Kong was a travesty, and the Hobbit has more in common with it than with LoTR.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks lefty. Always great to get your insight on movies.

Slight threadjack: I haven't kept up this year, what is worth seeing this winter? Last year there was so much stuff, this year it seems like slim pickings.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Jackson, basically, sux. LoTR was great, a genuine accomplishment. King Kong was a travesty, and the Hobbit has more in common with it than with LoTR.

Kong had magic. The scenes of Watts trying to humour him were great and really showed the potential of motion capture with a talented actor. The dinosaur fight was a great action sequence. I believed which is all I can ask.

About halfway through DoS I realized that Jackson was making a kid's movie. Sets, action, acting - all are intended for little kids. I guess that was the point, but to be honest I don't know any kids that didn't like the LotR films. I just wish he could have taken 20 minutes of action and tossed it, then use that time to have a few characters sit down and talk to each other about their hopes and dreams. As it turned out I didn't care about any of them. Freeman is good and provides the little bit of humanity.

Beorn is unnecessary.
Stephen Fry is in the wrong movie.
Galadriel is literally there for five seconds. It's crazy.

When they're all completed it might make for a good linear 6 hour fanboy cut.

Thanks lefty. Always great to get your insight on movies.

Slight threadjack: I haven't kept up this year, what is worth seeing this winter? Last year there was so much stuff, this year it seems like slim pickings.

Don't know why as I mostly hate everything.

I was talking with a reviewer last night who said Wolf of Wall Street is a hit.
The scuttebutt is that Saving Mr. Banks is a fantastic movie in no small part due to it's script.
Same with Her.

12 Years a Slave
Gravity
The Spectacular Now
Inside Llewyn Davis
(which I initially hated, but may be coming around to)
Blue is the Warmest Color
All is Lost

There are others.

lefty

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I thought Kong was ridiculous, overlong, really over the top stupid action sequences, the dinos above all. I can give props to Watts for that scene, though.

Also, he totally botched the discovery of/by the natives. It's way better done on both earlier versions. As in, way way better. Jackson gives us a 12 hour movie, and he can't stop for 10 minutes to play that out at least half as well as Cooper did in 1933? Come on. When the plodding De Laurentis did better than you, you suck.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with lefty about part 2. I enjoyed it a little more than I did part 1, but that's not saying much.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you give props to Watts you have to so the same for Serkis. He was there with her and everything you see Kong doing has him at its core. That comedy sequence is movie-making magic and what made me believe anc care about the character. So much so that I wept when he died.

Quote:
The native sequence is so ridiculous it almost looks like it was lifted from another movie. Surprised it stayed in as is. I would have thrown Jack Black off the boat and let Adrian Brody die of tuberculosis in a cold water flat on the Lower East Side, but overall it's a very good movie.

The thing that kills me about The Hobbit is that the LotR is so good on every level. This movie really looks like it was set on a backlot.

lefty

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The Hobbit movies make me sad. I have been going through the extended editions of Lotr and the commentaries and it is really fantastic. The first hobbit movie was just below meh. Sounds like the next is worse. I think I will skip.

It really makes me sad as well - that book was such an important piece of my childhood and to have it bastardized like this, but I feel obligated to watch it.

Lefty, what do you mean by "birth of Sauron"? Are they showing the transformation of the Necromancer into Sauron or are they pulling from The Silmarillion?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads