1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Hobbit (film series)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by deadly7, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

It was that bad? :(

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I found it incredibly tedious.

1 person likes this.
  3. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

How could it not suck? LOTR trilogy was garbage too and this was obviously set to be much worse.

Maybe it would have been good if Ron Howard directed it. At least Willow wasn't a snooze fest.

1 person likes this.
  4. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Glad to see your IQ still hasn't cracked 80.

1 person likes this.
  5. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Are you telling me Willow wasn't good? LOL

[​IMG]

I don't think anyone would choose to have Virgo Morgenstein having their back over Mad Martigan. Plz.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  6. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

I was asked in the movie thread why I gave the last Hobbit movie a personal rating of 1/5, and since I took the time to write out a reply, I'll post it here as well, for all of you to disagree with:

:hide:

5 people like this.
  7. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

http://www.reddit.com/r/tolkienfans/comments/2subbe/i_have_recut_pjs_hobbit_trilogy_into_a_single/

Hm.... I'm intrigued. Unfortunately the resolution quality is pretty low so I'd have problems watching it. Hopefully once Five Armies is out on Bluray, a better quality version will be released.

1 person likes this.
  8. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Well-Known Member

I went to the movies to see "The Battle of the Five Armies", and I shouldn´t have spent any money. I hadn´t been that dissapointed with the first two, but this one was such a crap fest. No matter how many battles and "epicness" they tried to pull off, it just didn´t work. It was boring as hell, even the last half with everyone going HAM on (pretty much) everyone. And seeing how bad this last one was made me realize that the the other were barely decent, if that.

9. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Well-Known Member

Who were the Five Armies? No one seems to know. Can a bear be an army?

I liked the movie. I read the book long ago so I really didn't notice many factual departures. My complaints are:

1. An elf would not go for a dwarf
    2. The barrell jumping scene was a bit too cartoonish
    3. Smaug's demise was over too quickly
    4. Azog was not a character in the Hobbit.
    5. I don't think Bilbo's 1/14th was the Arken stone(?).
    6. The jewels sought by the Grey Elves . . . were they silmarils or not?

10. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Five armies were Men, Dwarves, Elves, Orcs and Eagles.

1) True.
    2) Absolutely.
    3) Could go either way on this. Greater sin was fucking up the conversation scene and context ("On the Doorstep" and "Inside Information" in the book).*
    4) Not quite, The name is mentioned as being the orc who killed Thorin's father.
    5) Not officially, but he chose to make that argument. So the movie portrays that element more or less faithfully.
    6) No. There were only three Silmarils and by this point in Middle Earth history, one has been embedded in the sky as a star, one is at the bottom of the ocean, and the other in the bowels of the earth.

* Similarly, and to no point, Jackson also fucked up the spider scene. Bilbo in the book steadily grows more resourceful, clever and brave, but you would scarcely realize that from these movies. Bilbo is instrumental in saving them from the spiders in the book. In the movie, it's just a silly monster fight in which Bilbo does little more than anyone else.

1 person likes this.
  11. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Well-Known Member

I do remember that now. In the book, Bilbo had an edge about him (no pun intended) when he took on the spiders. Jackson captured a bit of it when Bilbo killed the trapdoor spider, but only in a passing head shot.

12. AdamsFall

AdamsFall Member

I personally think the whole thing is going to get extended and 'rebooted' yet again when they start making movies out of the very rich vein of the Silmarillion. Tons of material, very episodic, consisting of many stories covering the creation of the universe, the earth, the species, peoples, continents, and the vast back history of Middle Earth. More Wanger Ring type stuff. Epic loves, which are missing from the other books, as well as battles, and more multi-generational empires, hatreds, etc., monsters. We even have some characters who run through it, most notably Gandalf as Mithrandir (and various other names), who, fyi, by the time of the Hobbit is about 7,000 years old. I'm thinking we'll see the first news of rights and people specing out scripts within five years.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  13. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Gandalf was not around for the First Age. He was sent, with the other four wizards, to Middle Earth early in the Third Age.

14. AdamsFall

AdamsFall Member

Ooops, right. I stand corrected. Nonetheless, his age has been calculated around 6.5-7,000 years