• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

kristianml

Reaction score
Perhaps a bit off-topic, but why doesn't RL sell their slim fit casual shirts in the US? They fit me like a glove, and couldn't wait to stock up..

trum01

Reaction score
Thanks trum01, I went to Brooks Brothers, and tried on their OCBD shirts. I found the 14 1/2 not very baggy, and bought a few online (they were out of them in the store). Supposed to get here tomorrow, will wash them and see if they shrink a bit.

Let me know if they shrink a bit ... I may pick some up then as well. Did you get the Non-Iron or the regular ones? I imagine the non-iron ones will be less comfortable ...

apack

Reaction score
Here is the Nordstrom regular/slim/extra-slim size chart, which is useful because it compares many brands:

To display the image full-size, click on the image above and then right click to "view image" or to save it to your computer.

trum01

Reaction score
I just ordered a Charles Tyrwhitt in 14.5, Tailored Fit. Let's see how it compares to the Zara slim fit.

An interesting tidbit - I'm pretty damn skinny, and I once ordered a Calvin Klein Collection slim fit in size 37, and it was too tight around the stomach and waist. I'm not sure how that could fit anyone.

Rizzy

Reaction score
That's quite a useful metric! it does a great job of showing how different brands and lines compare to one another.

One of the biggest factors for me in selecting a slim fit shirt (aside from the chest, waist, and sleeve measurements) is the positioning of the armholes. While it's not as big an issue with regular fit shirts, armholes that are too low feel uncomfortable, especially when raising the arms.

Here is the Nordstrom regular/slim/extra-slim size chart, which is useful because it compares many brands:

trum01

Reaction score
I dont think I saw a mention for Lacoste Slim Fit on this thread. They're actually not too bad at all.

Bernando

Reaction score
Though I realize that bringing up the subject of Carlo Franco shirts is likely to be touchy, it was certainly my experience that the first generation shirts was definitely what I call slim. Not sure what the status of their shirtmaking operation is these days, however.

In italian men-wear shops now I can hardly find the suitable size for myself and my brother, especially for clothes do-looking-slim. Not because of our heavyset figure but the design has some problems! Aronin's point makes sense to some extent but not absolute! Still appreciate such a good analysis.

NewsPortal

Reaction score
The shirts I'm always searching for are Polo "Custom Fit" shirts. For me, they fit better than some MTM shirts. However they are very hard to come by. I can never find them at the Polo store and the 1-2 shirts they have on Polo.com are usually atrocious. There are plenty of tent-like "classic fit" shirts available.

Thanks a lot for provide us genuine information!!! I really impressed ***

World Best News

Radagast

Reaction score
I have tried Charles Tyrwhitt Tailored Fit shirts and for the price I'm happy with the quality but they are too baggy in the waist. I am thinking of having a tailor slim the shirts down.

I am wondering for future orders (made with the intent of having the shirt slimmed down by a tailor) should I order the slim fit or the tailored fit? I asked because the tailored fit has back darts where I understand the slim fit does not. Would the lack of darts be more conducive to adjustment?

Thanks.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have tried Charles Tyrwhitt Tailored Fit shirts and for the price I'm happy with the quality but they are too baggy in the waist. I am thinking of having a tailor slim the shirts down.
I am wondering for future orders (made with the intent of having the shirt slimmed down by a tailor) should I order the slim fit or the tailored fit? I asked because the tailored fit has back darts where I understand the slim fit does not. Would the lack of darts be more conducive to adjustment?
Thanks.
I have this exact dilema. I bought a bunch of slim-fit shirts while losing weight. At some point I crossed over to Tailored fit, but then I wasn't wearing my slim-fit shirts anymore, so I had a tailor take them in. Now, they fit better than the tailored fit, and no darts. So I recommend using the slim-fit as a base, though I suppose it depends on how baggy the tailored fit are for you. For me, they were only slightly baggy.

Also make sure you use a decent tailor. I am not sure if this is standard practice or not, but when my tailor took them in, he took it in all the way down to the sleeve cuff to avoid having the shirt look "off."

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it is not SF-approved, but Club Monaco's slim fit casual shirts fit me nicely.

The quality of their shirts varies and at full retail, they are over priced.

But I think their OCBD shirts are quite nice and priced reasonably well; I would say they are as nice as my RL custom fit ones.

stupendous

Reaction score

I have this exact dilema. I bought a bunch of slim-fit shirts while losing weight. At some point I crossed over to Tailored fit, but then I wasn't wearing my slim-fit shirts anymore, so I had a tailor take them in. Now, they fit better than the tailored fit, and no darts. So I recommend using the slim-fit as a base, though I suppose it depends on how baggy the tailored fit are for you. For me, they were only slightly baggy.

Also make sure you use a decent tailor. I am not sure if this is standard practice or not, but when my tailor took them in, he took it in all the way down to the sleeve cuff to avoid having the shirt look "off."

Agreed. This is exactly what I do with my CH shirts, and now they are perfect, or damn well near it, and excellent value. and yes, please make sure you use a decent tailor.....

As soon as the budget allows, I will be shopping at their website again!

brian

Reaction score
What's a common/popular length for a cropped shirt, one that doesn't require tucking in if need be. I'm taking a shirt to a tailor to hem it shorter. The shirts a Medium Brooks Brother Extra Slim. I'm about 5'9", 15.5 neck, 33 sleeve.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members