• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cocktail Thread

graphix

Reaction score
well, since cognac is a brandy i think you should be just fine :) can also make sidecars with that hennessy.

aybojs, im also a bartender so while part of me does enjoy walking home with a wad of cash on a friday night id still rather take a pay cut to bring back the the overall quality of service across the board. Servers know that since they have control over how fast your get drinks or if you get them at all that entitles them to a tip. A tip is no longer a a reward for an enjoyable experience its a wage that is almost demanded by servers as if their boss shorted them hours on their paycheck. It leads to a pathetic standard of service especially in the large venues where bartenders and servers have gotten used to $700-$1000 paychecks on Friday nights. As far as complaining about the overall quality of service from local bartenders i don't think im in the wrong at all. My regular bar is a total dive and im perfectly fine with that i love the place, my big problem however, is that in the small city i live in i couldn't find a bartender worth their salt no matter how hard i try. It drives me nuts that bartenders who have spent half their lives behind a bar don't know even basics for serving and preparing liquor its lazy and pathetic and defending it is even worse.

Mr Checks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Definitely some guys here who know their drinks, which I'm quite glad to read. Flatiron and Pegu will be my two stops when next in NYC. Graphx, will try the CRII tomorrow night -- tonight is a Manhattan night.

Checks, do get those cherries. No kidding they're unreal. Link for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Amarena-Fabbri...6657023&sr=8-1

I keep my vermouth in the little wine captain under the bar until I buy this puppy to sit alongside it:

310sst.jpg

Drink in good health,
Huntsman

Score. Even in my backwater the cherries were easy to find: at Williams Sonoma.

Also picked up the Wild Turkey Rye.

Review of Manhattan with the above to follow.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome. But brother, if you've got a Williams-Sonoma, you ain't in no backwater! I have to go 60-something miles to a W-S!

~ Huntsman

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still love a nice mojito.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
do you like the citronge? I bought a bottle but don't think it's as good as cointreau.

I agree, Citronge is certainly not as nice as the Cointreau. It however about 30% to 40% less expensive and not a bad value for the price. I was trying to see if it was an acceptable substitute in this cocktail and determined - not really, but it depends on the brandy you using.

Cointreau's flavor is more complex with notes of orange peel and orange marmalade. The complexity of Cointreau reminds me of Grand Marnier which is similarly priced. I guess you do get what you pay for when it comes to orange liqueurs.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to try the Sidecar with Napoleon Madarine -- a tangerine Cointreau, if you will.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
I agree, Citronge is certainly not as nice as the Cointreau. It however about 30% to 40% less expensive and not a bad value for the price. I was trying to see if it was an acceptable substitute in this cocktail and determined - not really, but it depends on the brandy you using.

I found the exact same thing. It was cheap at my local liquor store so I thought I'd give it a try. Cointreau and Grand Marnier can get very expensive but they are definitely better. I used the citronge last night, after painting my 35' hallway for six hours to make:

Albazam (from Degroff's book)
2 oz brandy
3/4 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
1 oz (I think) orange curacao
2 dashes bitters

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Chorse, have you had a chance to return to PDT?

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It says a stinger uses brandy
Brandy is basically inexpensive cognac (unless it is Pear Brandy or something like that). They are both essentially distilled wine. Here's a recent mention of the Stinger from the Washington Post. Whatever you do, though, don't make it with green creme de menthe, the appearance alone will turn you off.
--
"The Stinger has always been considered a Society drink," writes David Wondrich in his entertaining new cocktail history, "Imbibe!", noting that it was the favorite drink of Reginald Vanderbilt. A 1923 profile of Vanderbilt described the Stinger as "a short drink with a long reach, a subtle blending of ardent nectars, a boon to friendship, a dispeller of care." This classic is a perfect drink for after dinner.

There are many ways to make a Stinger, which traditionally is served straight up. Spirits columnist Jason Wilson likes his on the rocks; he usually makes it with 1 1/2 ounces of fine (read: expensive) VSOP cognac.

When using the better-value Pierre Ferrand Ambre cognac, Wilson prefers a ratio of 2 parts cognac to 1 part creme de menthe.

1 serving

Ingredients:
Ice
2 ounces cognac
1 ounce white creme de menthe
Twist of lemon peel
Directions:

Fill a mixing glass two-thirds full with ice. Add the cognac and white creme de menthe. Shake well, then strain into an old-fashioned glass filled with three or four ice cubes (not crushed ice). Garnish with a lemon twist.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Report of the Manhattan w/ the Italian cherries recommended here:

Standard recipe: dash bitters and two cherries in glass: mix 2 parts rye or bourbon (Wild Turkey 101 proof) to one part sweet vermouth (Rosso) in cocktail shaker over ice; strain into glass. I keep one cube in the glass to keep the drink cold, but it does dilute it somewhat (not so much an issue with the 101 proof whiskey).

With standard maraschino cherries the drink is pleasing, and the sweetness is candy-like. There are distinct flavors of whiskey and cherry.

With the Italian cherries the drink is balanced between the spirits and the cherry favor. It's seems better blended, in the sense that the cherry flavor and the alcohol are not tasted as separate entites, but as one drink. The sweetness is still there, but more refined (the difference between, say, table sugar and honey). My sense is that the less overt sweetness of the Italian cherries simply blends better with the whiskey and vermouth, standing out less.

I adjusted the recipe slightly by reducing the sweet vermouth to 3/4 oz to 2 oz of whiskey, and I prefer the bourbon to the rye. If you only use one cherry you might prefer a full oz of sweet vermouth.

Thanks for recommending these great cherries!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
Spirits columnist Jason Wilson likes his on the rocks; he usually makes it with 1 1/2 ounces of fine (read: expensive) VSOP cognac.

When using the better-value Pierre Ferrand Ambre cognac, Wilson prefers a ratio of 2 parts cognac to 1 part creme de menthe.

Imbibe! eh? We really do have some cocktail enthusiasts here. But I protest the use of Ferrand of any stripe in a stinger! Am all for using quality spirits, but using a single distillery Cognac with creme de menthe is overkill; it is the equivalent of a Dom Mimosa. Blends of any sort, i.e., VS, VSOP should be fine, because the terroir would not be as nuanced.

Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
Thanks for recommending these great cherries!

Super! Glad you enjoyed them -- I had some trepidation that they might merely be an obsession of mine (fortunately Kent relieved it somewhat). I completely agree that the cherry is like a catalyst for the melding of the flavors in a Manhattan. In fact, I once had a very special Manhattan made with house vermouth and bitters that tasted like I'd dove into a pool of those cherries. Unreal. Will shut up about the cherries now (must try an old-fashioned next though!)

Best,
Huntsman

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like how the syrup that comes with the cherries pools a bit at the bottom of the drink.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads