• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Next bottle in the liquor cabinet? (for cocktails)

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't bothered mixing cocktails much in the past but for whatever reason they have appealed to me recently. Trouble is, I know little about them. I'd like to add things (gradually--not really looking to buy out the liquor dept all at once), but I'd like to add things that will make sense. I hate the idea of buying a bottle of something that is only useful for one drink that I only mix once a year. I'll give a brief run down of what I've got, and I'd appreciate suggestions of what to get next, and why.

Several (different) bottles of Rye
2-3 bottles of Scotch. Dalwhinnie 15 and Dewar's. Maybe something else, not sure.
Gin
Vodka
Rum

Sweet and Dry Vermouth
Bitters

Assorted odds and ends that either came along for random reasons or that have established themselves in other ways:
Kahlua
Bailey's
Creme de menthe

That's off the top of my head. I know that I don't have any Bourbon, or any Tequila. I probably will buy some Bourbon again at some point, but I nearly always like Rye better, so I'm willing to use Rye in recipes that call for Bourbon. As for Tequila, I just haven't ever found a Tequila I really liked. Heck, for that matter, there may still be half a bottle of Tequila that I bought over a decade ago hanging out in the back of the cabinet.

Where do you advise that I go from here?

Last edited:

cc3peat

Reaction score
If you don't have a triple sec (and even if you do), I'd recommend Cointreau. It is in easily a third of the drinks I make on a regular basis; plays well with gin, vodka, tequila, even rye.

Other than that, maybe a cognac or brandy? Get a middle level one like Courvosier or Remy Martin, good for sipping or making cocktails.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting advice from a guy whose avatar is a cocktail--gotta be a good idea, right.:D
Thanks!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cointreau is the essential mixer. With that, you can make Sidecars and White Ladies at the very least. Then I suggest having a bottle of Lillet blanc, so that you can make Corpse Reviver #2s (one of the most essential staple cocktails), can drink it my itself, and can use in several other drinks like the 20th Century.

Also: Hang out in this thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/23206/what-are-you-drinking-right-now/13200

~ H

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you have two approaches:

1. Create a fully stocked bar with all the bitters, mixers, etc.

2. Work backwards from 3 "house" cocktails and just buy the stuff to make that.

I'd suggest starting with option (2) and then just add to your repertoire of cocktails rather than starting with the liquor side of the equation. Yes, you will end up with things that are just used for a single cocktail, but at least you will know you like that drink.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I probably will buy some Bourbon again at some point, but I nearly always like Rye better, so I'm willing to use Rye in recipes that call for Bourbon.

I honestly prefer rye in almost all cocktails that can use bourbon. I find the spiciness of rye stands up much better to mixers of any sort. The odd man out might be a Mint Julep, but that's strictly for tradition sake.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you have two approaches:

2. Work backwards from 3 "house" cocktails and just buy the stuff to make that.

I'd suggest starting with option (2) and then just add to your repertoire of cocktails rather than starting with the liquor side of the equation. Yes, you will end up with things that are just used for a single cocktail, but at least you will know you like that drink.

This is pretty much what I've decided to do. I guess I'm there in some sense since I already make Manhattans, Martinis, and very occasionally an Old Fashioned. This is my attempt at expanding beyond those, and it sounds like Cointreau will be pretty versatile and give me several that I can try out. Perhaps I should have been asking for the best cocktails I was only one bottle away from :embar:

Thanks for the input so far--kinda surprised to see the post revive after 4-5 days of domancy!

Last edited:

turkoftheplains

Reaction score
The best approach is to pick cocktails you like and buy what you need for them.

With that said, you seem liked a brown, bitter, and stirred guy (good choice, whiskey is the hooch of heroes) and your life is empty without the Sazerac. For this you will need some absinthe (vieux carré and lucid are decent and widely-distributed) and Peychaud's bitters. Your rye should serve well for this, as long as it is at least 90 proof--bottled-in-bond (100 proof) is even better.

I'll also second the recommendation for Cointreau, which can sub for simple syrup and is essential to many, many classics. Combier (not grand combier) and Marie Brizard triple sec are acceptable substitutes; all other triple secs are godawful and to be avoided. With your existing inventory, this purchase will instantly unlock the Pegu club, a sour that I've used to make gin drinkers out of dozens of people and which is so good some guy dedicated an entire blog to it.

turkoftheplains

Reaction score
Higher-proof bourbons (especially those with high-rye mashbills) perform well in cocktails-- Old Grand Dad BIB is a workhorse and cheap. With bourbon, proof is even more critical. I prefer it in some contexts where I'm accentuating a secondary ingredient and the spiciness of straight rye would be distracting.

With that said, 999 out of 1000 times, when I'm mixing whiskey, I'm reaching for Rittenhouse Rye. If you're only buying one whiskey for mixing, buy rye and buy bonded.

Incidentally, rye juleps are terrific.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We do Sazeracs, Last Stands and Vespers, along with a couple of lighter summery drinks when appropriate. I prefer just having a limited assortment I can do quickly and well and don't worry too much about whether they overlap in any way.

turkoftheplains

Reaction score
Quote: This is a great approach to building a liquor shelf, and I strongly recommend it. With that said, you seem to be a brown, bitter, and stirred guy (and I commend your good taste), and your life is empty without the Sazerac. You will need two more bottles: Absinthe (Vieux Carré and Lucid are decent and widely-distributed; one bottle may last you a lifetime) and Peychaud's bitters. Your rye will work well here, so long as it is 90 proof or above– bottled-in-bond (100 proof) is better. I'll also second the recommendation for Cointreau, which is a key ingredient in many, many standards can often sub for simple syrup with interesting results. Combier (not Grand Combier) and Marie Brizard triple sec are acceptable substitutes; all other widely-available triple secs are godawful and to be avoided. This one bottle buys you the Pegu Club, a cocktail I've used to convert legions of gin-haters and which is so good some guy dedicated an entire blog to it. Lots of ice and fresh citrus are also at least as important as the hooch. Off the top of my head, a few other classic or new standard cocktails you are only one ingredient away from: -Negroni (Campari, which can be a divisive ingredient-- try it at a bar first) -Boulevardier (Campari) -Little Italy (Cynar, which might be a little esoteric for you at this point) -Black Manhattan (Amaro Averna or Amaro Ramazotti -- again, maybe a little esoteric at this point, but a very, very good drink) -Pegu Club (Cointreau, as above) -White Lady (Cointreau) -Aviation (Maraschino) -- this assumes you make the version with no Creme de Violette in it, which is very good and was standard before Violette came back on the market -All of the "fancy" cocktails (e.g., Fancy Whiskey Cocktail) mentioned in Jerry Thomas's bartender's guide (Cointreau or Curaçao) -Metropole (Cognac or Armagnac) -French 75 (Champagne) Of these, my strongest recommendations would be for Cointreau and Maraschino (Luxardo brand.) Campari would be of similar priority if you like it. Cognac/Armagnac is worth considering because it is a versatile base spirit (especially if you combine it with whiskey), buys you the Sidecar (if you get Cointreau), and brings you one step closer to the mighty Vieux Carré. Brandies aren't essential initially, though-- I didn't actually buy Cognac or Armagnac until I wanted to make Vieux Carrés.

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote: This is a great approach to building a liquor shelf, and I strongly recommend it.
Agreed on the Sazerac - a Manhattan is just what I order when a bar can't do a sazerac. As a push on the "add one bottle" philosophy - we picked our three for diversity of flavor so everyone could be happy with something when entertaining.

turkoftheplains

Reaction score
Quote:
You can do that with 2 cocktails: Pegu Club and Sazerac. I guess you'd still need some dry vermouth for the diehard Martini drinkers, though.

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'll also second the recommendation for Cointreau, which is a key ingredient in many, many standards can often sub for simple syrup with interesting results. Combier (not Grand Combier) and Marie Brizard triple sec are acceptable substitutes; all other widely-available triple secs are godawful and to be avoided. This one bottle buys you the Pegu Club, a cocktail I've used to convert legions of gin-haters and which is so good some guy dedicated an entire blog to it.
Cointreau seems to be the standard, although I actually prefer Combier for its brighter, sharper flavor. Seeing how this is middle of winter, let me suggest Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao, a cognac-based triple sec. It is particularly good in a sidecar mixed with Pierre Ferrand 1840 Cognac.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
whats the pierre ferrand curaçao like compared to grand marnier?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads