• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this!

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a shame really. I've gotten so many amazing items at fantastic prices on B&S.

I much prefer to buy via B&S than from eBay. For one thing, sellers know how to measure! For another, sellers are more careful to spot, and are more honest about disclosing imperfections. And my experiences as a seller have been nearly universally positive. Stuff doesn't sell for as much as it does on eBay, but the hassle factor is so, so, much less.

Last edited:

doctorman

Reaction score
I much prefer to buy via B&S than from eBay. For one thing, sellers know how to measure! For another, sellers are more careful to spot, and more honest about disclosing imperfections. And my experiences as a seller have been nearly universally positive. Stuff doesn't sell for as much as it does on eBay, but the hassle factor is so, so, much less.
so do i. i think if one has a superior product, one would be much better off to sell it at b&s here since the shoppers here are savvy and appreciate an excellent product. generally hassle free.

but if the product is so-so, i think one would be better off selling it at ebay to be larger audience. i have sold a few items on ebay which i may have to pay someone here to get rid of (kenneth cole bluchers, anyone?) but they were gone in a few days on ebay.

for those that are frustrated that their items aren't selling - i guess it's just that the price has not met the supply and demand curve with some occasional bad luck...

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I much prefer to buy via B&S than from eBay. For one thing, sellers know how to measure! For another, sellers are more careful to spot, and are more honest about disclosing imperfections. And my experiences as a seller have been nearly universally positive. Stuff doesn't sell for as much as it does on eBay, but the hassle factor is so, so, much less.

so do i. i think if one has a superior product, one would be much better off to sell it at b&s here since the shoppers here are savvy and appreciate an excellent product. generally hassle free.

but if the product is so-so, i think one would be better off selling it at ebay to be larger audience. i have sold a few items on ebay which i may have to pay someone here to get rid of (kenneth cole bluchers, anyone?) but they were gone in a few days on ebay.

for those that are frustrated that their items aren't selling - i guess it's just that the price has not met the supply and demand curve with some occasional bad luck...
I agree with this. Although B&S is moving extremly slowly from time to time, stuff do eventually get sold. I've been having some classifieds up for months, but am not worry as the items get sold in the long run. Sure, I could've sold some of the stuff for low ball offers I've received, but I'm patient. You know what they say, be patient or become one.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
EBay will probably get higher prices depending on the item, though I guess there is more hassle and also fees. Great thing about eBay is the buyer protection, which I could have done with a few times with transactions on B&S

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EBay will probably get higher prices depending on the item, though I guess there is more hassle and also fees. Great thing about eBay is the buyer protection, which I could have done with a few times with transactions on B&S

+ 1. I charge at least 10% more for sales on eBay to balance out the final value fees but it still sells faster than on B&S. Probably due to greater number of users.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: I can only assume you are referring to the S part of B&S. The selling can be a bit slow and frustrating but I have had excellent luck with the buying end. All my items (mostly shoes) have been of excellent quality (usually new) at excellent prices. No losers to date. All SF members have been a pleasure to deal with. Much better than eBay.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can only assume you are referring to the S part of B&S. The selling can be a bit slow and frustrating but I have had excellent luck with the buying end. All my items (mostly shoes) have been of excellent quality (usually new) at excellent prices. No losers to date. All SF members have been a pleasure to deal with. Much better than eBay.

Yeah, its personal frustration.
I don't sell much at all so when I had to get rid of a couple of things I hoped they'd shift; no one likes their mistakes hanging around.
My experience of buying has been pretty good and I agree that the sellers I've dealt with have all been great.

labravajazz

Reaction score
+1
BUT beware there are scammers on sf taking advantage of the friendly nature of most sf transactions. I could never see any opportunity to name and shame offending sf perpetrators, so what is missing seems to be a buyer beware thread or some chance to negative rate transactions. I bought a pair shoes which never arrived. Seller then claimed they had been returned unclaimed but said he would send them again. I requested a refund which he agreed to, but that was the last I heard of him. Pure scam and I know he had several other sales, but where can we make members aware of rip offs like this?

labravajazz

Reaction score

There is the "Trader Feedback" link on everyone's profile page.

Thanks, but it's really hard to navigate that. Ever tried?!
I did, and gave up as I could not locate URLs required - maybe because classified is closed? I cut and pasted the thread but it comes up invalid URL
So my 100% bad feedback cannot be posted.
Anyway my point is that more good faith is needed to do B&S on SF. IMO usually warranted but there is always going to be one and I unfortunately suffered one of the exceptions.
Lost $235 for nothing.
eBay protects against this so it's an advantage.
Just saying......

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes posting feedback is not user friendly. I found if I open 2 windows of SF I can transfer and paste the url's.
Another good idea is to buy from familiar, long standing SF members. You can check profiles and see how long they have been members.

+1; I use the 2 window method. Haven't found a way to do it from the mobile site tho

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads