• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texans take Williams #1

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure we will still get our asses kicked....

I lost all hope for Houston football when we fired Buddy Ryan from the defensive coordinator position.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This could be one of those picks, years from now, where we debate how big of a bust this was along the lines of Portland choosing Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.

I'm sure the Texans had their reasons for not selecting Bush- already had a good running back, defense wins championships, etc...

But, at the very least, why not simply trade their number one pick? That way, they could have traded down and gotten this player, Williams, they wanted with a lower pick as well as pick up some additional draft picks to fill all the holes they have. Look at the kings randsom the Cardinals got when they traded down one spot to the Chargers when the Chargers wanted Ryan Leaf. Or, the deal the Giants made with the Chargers to get Eli Manning.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Super Mario isn't a number one pick. They should have traded down. They could have traded down to #4 or 5 and he still probably would have been there. But I can't really say I'm suprised.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm completely mystified by this pick; with Kubiak coming in, I thought Bush was a stone cold lock to be picked by them.

koji

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It makes a certain amount of sense. If you come from a place that turns street free agents into pro bowl players, you might look at reggie as being unneeded. I do think that if they had picked bush, it would have been a real pressure cooker down there. Expectations of a savior, etc.

Also, they've got mike sherman on the staff, and he likes big backs who only run straight ahead. He really grinds guys up, as can the denver system. Reggie might have been seen as a little small.

I don't know if I would have taken williams number 1, but I don't think he would have gotten past #2. Of course, the missing angle is that it was set-up by the league to help out NO and give them something to market.

Edit: I should also add that the Patriots drafting Maroney was inspired. Need pick and they get the 2nd best on the board, and a guy who will be a great pro. I'm not a patriots fan, but I really respect what they're doing.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I'm just happy that it all came together to drop Leinart down to the Cardinals.

Finally - a franchise quarterback!

With Leinart coming on board to learn under Kurt Warner, Edgerrin James in the backfield, and a new air conditioned stadium where you don't have to sit on incredibly uncomfortable benches without backs (like Sun Devil Stadium) I might actually go see some games this year.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
It makes a certain amount of sense. If you come from a place that turns street free agents into pro bowl players, you might look at reggie as being unneeded. I do think that if they had picked bush, it would have been a real pressure cooker down there. Expectations of a savior, etc.

Also, they've got mike sherman on the staff, and he likes big backs who only run straight ahead. He really grinds guys up, as can the denver system. Reggie might have been seen as a little small.

I don't know if I would have taken williams number 1, but I don't think he would have gotten past #2. Of course, the missing angle is that it was set-up by the league to help out NO and give them something to market.

Edit: I should also add that the Patriots drafting Maroney was inspired. Need pick and they get the 2nd best on the board, and a guy who will be a great pro. I'm not a patriots fan, but I really respect what they're doing.

The question is, will Williams be the next Juilius Peppers, or Ryan Sims?

koji

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I'm just happy that it all came together to drop Leinart down to the Cardinals.

Finally - a franchise quarterback!

With Leinart coming on board to learn under Kurt Warner, Edgerrin James in the backfield, and a new air conditioned stadium where you don't have to sit on incredibly uncomfortable benches without backs (like Sun Devil Stadium) I might actually go see some games this year.

I love the NFL draft; Leinhart was the consensus #1 pick last year, stayed in school, had a statistically BETTER season and ends up falling in the Cardinal's lap. I hope he has the last laugh, the weapons are certainly all there.

koji

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
The question is, will Williams be the next Juilius Peppers, or Ryan Sims?

koji

He has the frame to be a better Simeon Rice/Strahan type. But really, the mental part seems so much more critical at that position. DE's seem to take time to mature and become really good. Setting guys up so that you can pick an opportunity to make an impact late in important games. That's what really seems to come with their experience.

When you add in injury and stuff, it explains why the great ones are so rare.

Strahan's stats:
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/4337

Rice:
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/4151

Rice is better, but even he doesn't always dominate.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised that the Titans drafted Vince Young over Matt Leinart with the third pick. We all watched the Rose Bowl, and Vince Young won that game against Leinart and Bush. But, with Steve McNair leaving the Titans to play for the Ravens, I would have thought the Titans would have wanted the most polished, NFL ready QB in the draft, Leinart, over a project like Vince Young. Matt Leinart's offensive co-ordinator at USC, Norm Chow, is now the offensive co-ordinator with the Titans, and so Leinart would have already been familar with the system and would have been able to step in earlier. With Vince Young, its going to take several years to develop before he'll be ready. There's his whole throwing motion and mechanics that needs to be addresssed. And, Young must also learn to read defenses and go through progressions, something he never needed to learn at Texas with its option offense. And, with being the third pick and all the money that goes with it, there's the question of how long the Titans can give to develop Young and if it will be long enough. At the most, they can probably sit him out for a year.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Esquire -

Word was their was a big split within the Titan organization about this pick. The coaching staff, led by Fisher and Norm Chow wanted Leinart, but the owner, Bud Adams (who lives in Houston and is a big Longhorns fan) wanted Vince Young.

Obviously, the man writing the checks had the final say.

Worked out well for my Cardinals. Leinart dropped to them and for the first time since moving from St. Louis to Arizona in 1988, the Cardinals have sold out their season tickets for next year and every home game will actually be televised locally.

The last Cardinals home game to sell out and thus avoid being blacked out on local TV was in 2000 against the Green Bay Packers - and that means most of the fans were wearing green.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads