• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's talk about BABA (Alibaba) IPO. I am going to jump on it on the day it is open. Thoughts?

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Let's talk about BABA (Alibaba) IPO. I am going to jump on it on the day it is open. Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you have roughly a 50% chance, give or take a couple points, that your position ends in the green by the end of the day.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done a lot of business in China.

I would never touch a chinese stock. The shady practices are astounding.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well now they have to comply with shady practices of Wall Street, so it is completely safe to invest.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Holy **** ACTC (ACTCD for now) pop.

Wonder if I should sell...was planning on holding for much longer (already been a while), but this looks temporary.

Ha ha, I know, can you believe it went up after the reverse split. I read some new scientist joined them. The price seems to have stabilized over 11 so I'm going to sit on it. I did briefly reach positive territory after it hit 12. No reason to sell for me yet, this was always an all or nothing trade.

I don't want to step over the incredible advice below, but I think this IPO has huge momentum. Traditionally with tech IPOs they pop above the pop, find a floor after a few weeks (usually below the pop), then march up until their first set of earnings.

MBLY and GPRO are 2 good recent examples.

That first report tends to dictate the next phase of the development but I don't put too much weight in it. Often times they prime their books so that the first earnings look better than they are.

All this said, I may take a poke at the open to make a quick buck. I wouldn't want to hold it overnight. I'll wait for the floor, then take a small stake. Per the comment about Chinese companies, I think they are very, very shady and wouldn't be a long term investor.

My thoughts are that you have roughly a 50% chance, give or take a couple points, that your position ends in the green by the end of the day.

Wow. Such sage advice. It's 50/50 everyone. Place your bets.

Last edited:

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yay now I can buy 15 Apple Watches with my 94% realized gain :satisfied:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Idfnl, aren't you the guy who genuinely believes he can consistently beat the pros and market indices through individual stock picking?

You're also the guy who refuses to take a guaranteed (with your trading prowess, you'd be making MILLIONS in bonuses every year) massive income boost on Wall Street because you "don't want to trade with other peoples' money?"

:laugh:

Yeah... You're a joke.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Instead of buying BABA directly, wouldn't a better play be to buy into similar companies? One potential problem would be that BABA is in so many different categories it would be hard to choose just one and I don't see Amazon popping 5% on BABA news.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

All this said, I may take a poke at the open to make a quick buck. I wouldn't want to hold it overnight. I'll wait for the floor, then take a small stake. Per the comment about Chinese companies, I think they are very, very shady and wouldn't be a long term investor.
Wow. Such sage advice. It's 50/50 everyone. Place your bets.

Yeah, too bad GF couldn't give us some hard, predictive data like "it's got momentum"!

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Idfnl, aren't you the guy who genuinely believes he can consistently beat the pros and market indices through individual stock picking?

You're also the guy who refuses to take a guaranteed (with your trading prowess, you'd be making MILLIONS in bonuses every year) massive income boost on Wall Street because you "don't want to trade with other peoples' money?"

No dumbass, I'm sure there was somebody here claiming that he consistently beats the pros thru individual stock picking but it wasn't me. Search the thread and find him.

I've beaten the DJIA regularly, this is true.

And no, I don't want to trade other people's money. I'm sure I'd be a successful broker. But I do quite well in my current career path, thanks for the advice though.

Yeah, too bad GF couldn't give us some hard, predictive data like "it's got momentum"!

I never claimed to provide any hard predictive data, so that's a stupid statement. What I did mention were 2 cases that reflect what a large number of recent IPO's have done and what IPO tendencies are the first few months after initiating trading. All verifiable.

Quit being an ass by cherry-picking so you can troll.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Idfnl, you must have forgotten your reply to this question below:

Idfnl, how do you do it? are you good at finding patterns or can you just feel the direction of the stock? :)

Originally you had said that you could pick up on chart patterns and trade accordingly, just like the stooges in vinouspleasure's trading classes.

Then you ninja-edited it to say you didn't understand the question.

All I'm getting at is that you're giving your "trading skills" way too much credit when, really, luck is playing a much bigger factor than you're willing to admit.

I get it, though, you're not a very self-aware person and have rather low emotional intelligence. It's to be expected from you I guess.

If you were really skilled at trading, you wouldn't have any dog losses like PBPB or TWTR. I love when you lament your large losses on those plays with no reference to the fact that maybe you just got **** luck. Then, when you have a big pop on a stock you own, you parade about your "mad skillz baby!"

My point is: you're not as skilled a trader as you believe you are and I'm not saying that as a dig.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My point is: you're not as skilled a trader as you believe you are and I'm not saying that as a dig.

You're the one making claims that I "beat the pros". And the proof is someones comment and then a lie about some ninja edit. LOL. For posterity, notice there is no edit stamp on the post, so you're lying:

I don't understand the question.

The fact that I post my losers, my mistakes, and gaps in the way I trade negates everything you say. You're trying to anchor the idea that I post winners and hide losers to make me look better than I really am, when in fact I have journaled here a pretty accurate representation of my moves.

Lastly, it's called trash talking or just general excitement about a move that favors me. You mistake someone enjoying the process of trading with arrogance, and therefore you look like the one that can't empathize because you don't grasp what joking around and having some fun with the process is... and you call others low EQ? Sure then, I believe luck never plays a part, please show us an example of where I say that. Let me guess, it was a ninja edit.

By the way, I misjudged GTAT on the heels of the AAPL presentation, down big on a small position. I'm sure that makes you feel better. You keep calling those 50-50 trades though, dude.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's talk sanctions against RU and war against ISIS and how all of this mess started by US is lifting the USD. Unwittingly Obama finally makes lemonade. Buy Euro on weakness?
Share good ideas: this is a huuuuge mess and there must be a Whale-size opportunity to make money, but where?

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You're the one making claims that I "beat the pros". And the proof is someones comment and then a lie about some ninja edit. LOL. For posterity, notice there is no edit stamp on the post, so you're lying:
The fact that I post my losers, my mistakes, and gaps in the way I trade negates everything you say. You're trying to anchor the idea that I post winners and hide losers to make me look better than I really am, when in fact I have journaled here a pretty accurate representation of my moves.

Lastly, it's called trash talking or just general excitement about a move that favors me. You mistake someone enjoying the process of trading with arrogance, and therefore you look like the one that can't empathize because you don't grasp what joking around and having some fun with the process is... and you call others low EQ? Sure then, I believe luck never plays a part, please show us an example of where I say that. Let me guess, it was a ninja edit.

By the way, I misjudged GTAT on the heels of the AAPL presentation, down big on a small position. I'm sure that makes you feel better. You keep calling those 50-50 trades though, dude.

The only thing I'm going to comment on is that there is no edit stamp because you edited your post within the 10 minute timeframe that allows these ninja edits. It only says a post was edited if you edit it after 10 minutes of posting.

Also, I'll dig up a post you had several months back where you claimed all the glory of a stock pop through your "skills baby!"

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The only thing I'm going to comment on is that there is no edit stamp because you edited your post within the 10 minute timeframe that allows these ninja edits. It only says a post was edited if you edit it after 10 minutes of posting.

Also, I'll dig up a post you had several months back where you claimed all the glory of a stock pop through your "skills baby!"

Right dude. My answer to this:

Idfnl, how do you do it? are you good at finding patterns or can you just feel the direction of the stock? :)

was because "I beat the pros". Which I removed within this 10 minute window, but you saw it, and didn't call me out for "beating the pros" in the moment. You're a liar.

Please spend your time finding a "skills baby" post. Even though I explained it was some friendly trash talking. You already look stupid, compound it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads