• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^

:slayer:

Will be picking up both shortly, too.

There's a rumor that Icahn may have or initiate a stake in FSLR.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^

:slayer:

Will be picking up both shortly, too.

There's a rumor that Icahn may have or initiate a stake in FSLR.

I know now I'm thinking I should have bought more shares. Really need to stop buying shoes for a whole year, put all shoe money into FSLR and gamble :slayer:

Had too many conservative picks in portfolio since was busy with work last year, not busy now and just kicking myself for not buying smarter. CAT better go up tomorrow otherwise I'm going to sell and buy more FSLR.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I know now I'm thinking I should have bought more shares. Really need to stop buying shoes for a whole year, put all shoe money into FSLR and gamble :slayer:

Had too many conservative picks in portfolio since was busy with work last year, not busy now and just kicking myself for not buying smarter. CAT better go up tomorrow otherwise I'm going to sell and buy more FSLR.

Yeah mang. I try to live as frugally as possible and invest my money. Has served me well so far.

Anyway, I picked up two small cap ETFs (value and growth) about a week ago and I'm up ~2.5% on both, so not a bad gain for a short period of time, but I'm thinking of selling both and buying TAN with the capital.

FSLR.. still trying to figure out how I'm going to invest in it. Might have to cut into my AAPL stake, but I think AAPL is going to have a blow-out quarter. Hmmmm.

Edit: stevent, TAN is up 2% already intra-day. :slayer:

Edit 2: Filled my limit orders for my small cap ETFs. Placed a limit order for TAN.

Edit 3: Tan filled.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah mang. I try to live as frugally as possible and invest my money. Has served me well so far.

Anyway, I picked up two small cap ETFs (value and growth) about a week ago and I'm up ~2.5% on both, so not a bad gain for a short period of time, but I'm thinking of selling both and buying TAN with the capital.

FSLR.. still trying to figure out how I'm going to invest in it. Might have to cut into my AAPL stake, but I think AAPL is going to have a blow-out quarter. Hmmmm.

Edit: stevent, TAN is up 2% already intra-day. :slayer:

Edit 2: Filled my limit orders for my small cap ETFs. Placed a limit order for TAN.

Edit 3: Tan filled.

I ended up selling a few shares of AAPL today as well, think numbers will be solid but nothing revolutionary for a while. Had Apple in two portofolios anyways so have to minimize a bit. More FSLR and almost bought groupon but held off, may trade it tomorrow

And need to save more, no kop freezes don't work and too much random stuff bought. I've gotten a little better clothing wise but shoes are difficult. Used to be so good at investing everything up until joining SF pretty much :facepalm:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't feel confident dabbling with TSLA this late in the game. But FSLR? FSLR isn't even over-valued like TSLA, so it has a long way to go, IMO. Their earnings release is coming up and if they can manage a significant beat, I truly believe it could serve as the inflection point that turns it into a momentum stock that I can finally buy into before it takes off. I JUST might buy shares on margin for this. Huge gamble. Sweating bullets on that thought, though.

Also, check out TAN, an ETF for solar power companies. 130+% returns YTD. Highest-performing ETF of the year.

You know if you put it all on red, they at least give you free drinks.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeesh, I just made my first purchase on the stock market (actually an ETF). After hours but it'd been a few month of my mulling it (and holding off thanks to the shutdown). If it loses some money (say 20%) it'll still be better than sitting in my internet savings account where I'd find some "emergency" to spend all of it on.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeesh, I just made my first purchase on the stock market (actually an ETF). After hours but it'd been a few month of my mulling it (and holding off thanks to the shutdown). If it loses some money (say 20%) it'll still be better than sitting in my internet savings account where I'd find some "emergency" to spend all of it on.

ETF is a good start, better to invest vs save

And fing CAT those are some ugly numbers

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CAT is affected by China in a big way. I am leery of China numbers as they look pretty back one month then the next month spike up.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CAT is affected by China in a big way.  I am leery of China numbers as they look pretty back one month then the next month spike up.  

Yeah I've had CAT for a while, bought at $70 and sold at $110 then rebought a bit later at $80ish. Just thought recovery would be moving a little faster than it is now

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Might be a good entry point on CAT once the price settles.

Against my better judgement I punted on a couple of NFLX shares this morning pre market and low and behold its up... may have a day trade here :)

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd get out of NFLX today if I were you. Lock in those gains. The stock has been way too volatile.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TSLA hasn't been doing so hot lately. Perhaps an entry point to come soon? Or is the bubble bursting?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads