• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sydney Tailors

joneblaze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Unless you are unusually large, most tailors should be able to squeeze a waistcoat out of 5m as well. Dormeuil isn't bad and you won't be disappointed.

BTW unless we're going to call taps faucets and curtains drapes let's call them trousers rather than pants
smile.gif

LOL thanks - I'll keep that in mind!

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
What's the difference between slacks and trousers?

Slacks is used in both British and American English. The Shorter Oxford Dictionary says that slacks refer to "full length loosely cut trousers for informal wear". They quote H Williamson: He wore...breeches; other subalterns had changed back into slacks. These days it's just another term for trousers.

The quote sounds old. I don't know who Williamson is - any takers? "Trowsers" used to be considered very casual wear. A proper gentleman used to wear breeches or pantaloons (pants is short for pantaloon).

http://dept.kent.edu/museum/exhibit/menswear/pants.htm

Roger Goff

Reaction score
Whilst J. H. Cutler is reasonably expensive John Cutler does offer fantastic service and quality, which in my opinion represents real value for money. He also has some fabrics made specially for him by an Italian manufacturer and imported direct so you might find that he will be able to quote you on a bespoke suit at a better price than you thought.
Why not give John a call. His contact details can be found on www.cutlerbespoke.com

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Times must be getting tough if you're resorting to spam, John old chap
lol8[1].gif

extempore

Reaction score
I must admit, that post is a little suspicious.

By the way, where are you all purchasing your cloth from?

sydney lawyer

Reaction score
I just went to visit Sam Disano, and to my surprise (as well as Sam's), Tony Wain had unexpectedly sent him several H Lesser books. Particularly impressive were the Formal book and the well nigh legendary book of Lumb's Golden Bale
inlove.gif
. There was a lighter book of S120s amongst others. The 13 and 16 Oz books were sadly missing however
frown.gif

Anyone passing that way to see Charles Nakhle or Sam Disano should really check these beautiful books out. Sam is particularly impressed that the prices are highly competitive with H&S. I am probably preaching to the converted when I say that Lesser's cloths are the best bar none.

I must claim at least some responsibility for that. Tony Wain delivered some bunches to me in Sydney and I strongly recommended that he visit Sam Disano, which he said he would do. I saw the Lesser bunches in Sam's shop last week, when I picked up the first of my three suits made of Minnis Rangoon cloth.

At this stage, Lesser at $175 or more per metre is out of my range, but I hope that next year I can do something in that area.

Having tried on the first of those three suits, it seems that the armholes are still not high enough. They feel tighter, and the coat feels slightly tighter across the back, but the coat still rises and bunches up when I raise my arms. I don't know how to test this properly. Anyway, it's not the most important issue. The suit otherwise looks and feels great.

Each of these suits is with waiscoats and two extra trousers. The material came in at $40 per metre including freight. for a family man like me, this considerable saving is no small thing.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW Charles Nakhle has a new website: http://nakhleshirtmakers.com.au/ He is struggling with the recession hitting NSW. BTW Charles does accept CMT and you can get half price shirting through Acorn: http://www.acornfabrics.com/view_products.html Click on SALE ITEMS I love Acorn shirting. It wears so well, it is almost bulletproof. It looks better with every wash and lasts for years and years. The styles are understated and tastefully English. They tend to grow on you with time, when you find yourself wearing them more often than the flashier Italian design that caught your eye.

joneblaze

Reaction score
Hi Sator,

How much does Charles charge for CMT and how much material would one need for a shirt?

cheers for the tips

giveittome

Reaction score
BTW Charles Nakhle has a new website:

http://nakhleshirtmakers.com.au/

He is struggling with the recession hitting NSW. BTW Charles does accept CMT and you can get half price shirting through Acorn:

http://www.acornfabrics.com/view_products.html

Click on SALE ITEMS

I love Acorn shirting. It wears so well, it is almost bulletproof. It looks better with every wash and lasts for years and years. The styles are understated and tastefully English. They tend to grow on you with time, when you find yourself wearing them more often than the flashier Italian design that caught your eye.

I've been reading the threads for ages but haven't posted till now. I decided to do my bit to stimulate the local economy and took delivery of 14 shirts from Charles (and am waiting on a suit from Adamo). I love the fabrics Charles has available, they look and feel unlike any other. I did think however that Charles cuts the shirts a little too long in the sleeve and the collar but this may fix itself after a few more washes. I also love his chocolates.

fistingdwarves

Reaction score
Howdy. Medium-time reader, first time poster.

A few months ago I needed to get a suit made for a wedding. Google led me to the information in this thread and others.

I called quite a few places for quotes, premised on me supplying the fabric. Zink & Sons on Oxford St quoted me $1,600. Nick Salanitro quoted me a similar figure, I think it was $1,650. John Cutler quoted me $6,000. I told him that was substantially more than I wanted to spend and he didn't change his tone or attitude; he stayed on the phone for some time and was extremely helpful. So, when I win Lotto, I might give him another call.

I eventually went with Sam Disano. He quoted me $1,200 and given the extremely positive reviews I've seen in this forum, I decided the several trips I would need to make to Parramatta were worthwhile.

Fast forward six weeks. I collected the suit this morning. Here are a few select comments about Sam, his service, and what I received:

1. Sam is a delightful chap. He's a salt-of-the earth sort of fellow. You couldn't want for a nicer man to deal with.

2. He's also fairly willing to listen to requests for a short armscye (ie high armholes). I requested; he did a reasonable job of delivering.

3. I've seen some postings about Sam charging $800 or $850 for a suit, and they're recent posts- only last year. When I queried with Sam why his prices had gone up so much he denied having charged $850 for a suit last year. Who knows. Perhaps they're mistaken, or perhaps inflation at Parramatta is hyper.

4. The quote for $1,200 was mentioned several times, but today when I went to pay he said the bill was $1,300. The increase arose from the fact that there were some silk bits on the suit, and he supplied the silk. I don't have a difficulty with being charged for work performed and materials provided, but his failure to mention the additional charge until today was unfortunate. In any case, the issue was resolved easily; we split the difference at $1,250.

5. I gave Sam detailed written instructions on the suit's design and attributes, and we discussed the suit in depth. Even so, he still made a few minor errors. eg we specifically discussed the buttons to be used; he recommended fabric buttons but I needed shiny ones, and made that clear. However, he still put fabric ones on. Again the issue was resolved fairly easily- I took a stroll around Westfield Parramattta for half an hour while he replaced them. But it's a salutary lesson in the fact that it is perhaps wise to give Sam clear instructions, and to do so repeatedly.

6. Last, and definitely not least- I'm actually not hugely impressed with the finished product. Attention to detail is lacking. For example, I should have thought it fairly easy to ensure that straight lines were...straight. But (forgive my failure to use technical terms here) where there is a fabric overlap at the ends of the sleeves, i.e. where the sleeve buttons are, the overlapped fabric is quite poorly finished, and the overlap simply isn't straight. There's also some weird markings in the fabric there- I have no idea what they are, but they seem to be a side-effect of Sam working the fabric. In any case they're quite unsightly. Not something you'd notice from two metres away, but when you spend a fair bit of money you expect simple things like that to be done skilfully.

So, would I go back to Sam? To be frank I'd probably give Nick Salanitro a try first. I don't know if he'd do a better job but I would take a chance and find out. Plus, he's just over the bridge- much closer than Parra!

FD

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adamo Marone seems to get the best reviews here, certainly in this thread. He's probably more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads