• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Black Tie on the Coast

dako

Reaction score
Hi all,

Headed to a 'black tie optional' wedding on the Turkish coast of Bodrum this summer. Understanding that this is a Turkish/South Asian/American wedding, people will dress up. I do have a custom black wool/mohair tux with peak lapels (the button stance is a little low to my liking), but I thought I've been mulling over wearing an off the rack off-white dinner jacket because it's in August and we'll be so close to the water.

I've ordered the SuitSupply jacket linked to see if it I like it, but the fact that it is 'cotton velvet' has given me pause - velvet in the summer on a white jacket???

What do you all think?

Can I pull it off comfortably? Will the fabric suck? Would it be faux pas to wear a single carnation boutonniere in the buttonhole at someone else's wedding?

I also have patent leather lace ups, but thought I should probably wear slip-ons. Suggestions?

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slip-ons are probably fine.

(My personal taste) If I were you, I wouldn't choose the white velvet jacket. Preferably, I'd find an option that would be weather-appropriate and that comes in black.

It doesn't hurt to ask about the carnation, since some people do that at weddings and others don't. If you're going to wear a carnation, make sure it's 1) real, and 2) the right colour.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear the Tux. If it is custom it'll probably fit you better than any off white dinner jacket
you pick up. Also, the button-stance will probably only bother you. Others probably
won't notice .Patent lace-ups are fine.

dako

Reaction score
Slip-ons are probably fine.

(My personal taste) If I were you, I wouldn't choose the white velvet jacket. Preferably, I'd find an option that would be weather-appropriate and that comes in black.

It doesn't hurt to ask about the carnation, since some people do that at weddings and others don't. If you're going to wear a carnation, make sure it's 1) real, and 2) the right colour.

I appreciate the input. I obviously haven't felt the fabric yet, but velvet in off-white just sounds like a dumb design. Unfortunately, the SB black dinner jacket I have does not have a buttonhole.

dako

Reaction score
This is what we’re currently working with. It might need a couple adjustments.

EDIT: I've lost a little bit of weight and the lining is sagging a bit on the bottom right - likely from partying a little too hard at other occasions.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the input. I obviously haven't felt the fabric yet, but velvet in off-white just sounds like a dumb design. Unfortunately, the SB black dinner jacket I have does not have a buttonhole.

There's time enough to get one made on it before August, if you like. I would still wear the one you have unless the cloth is too much for the weather, in which case I'd start looking around for an option like the SuitSupply jacket, but in black and in wool.

The button stance on that jacket is fine, btw. The fastened button should be at your natural waist, which gives you an elongated line and more masculine silhouette. It's a little shorter than I'd prefer on me, but that's ok too.

dako

Reaction score
There's time enough to get one made on it before August, if you like. I would still wear the one you have unless the cloth is too much for the weather, in which case I'd start looking around for an option like the SuitSupply jacket, but in black and in wool.

The button stance on that jacket is fine, btw. The fastened button should be at your natural waist, which gives you an elongated line and more masculine silhouette. It's a little shorter than I'd prefer on me, but that's ok too.

*Working from my phone and having trouble deleting the previous post*

This is what we’re currently working with. It might need a couple adjustments. I've lost a little bit of weight and the lining is sagging a bit on the bottom right - likely from partying a little too hard at other occasions.

Attachments

• 1390C079-FE53-47CE-901B-8942BEA35CCD.jpeg
    1390C079-FE53-47CE-901B-8942BEA35CCD.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 39

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*Working from my phone and having trouble deleting the previous post*

This is what we’re currently working with. It might need a couple adjustments. I've lost a little bit of weight and the lining is sagging a bit on the bottom right - likely from partying a little too hard at other occasions.

Well, how heavy is the fabric? Mohair and wool mixes tend to be fairly breathable, IME. If it's bearable for the climate: I'd get it adjusted to your liking, have a handmade buttonhole put into the lapel, and wear that one out to the wedding - maybe with a carnation. Tie your tie a little more off-centre and always keep a drink in your hand. Go straight for those hot bridesmaids.

dako

Reaction score
Well, how heavy is the fabric? Mohair and wool mixes tend to be fairly breathable, IME. If it's bearable for the climate: I'd get it adjusted to your liking, have a handmade buttonhole put into the lapel, and wear that one out to the wedding - maybe with a carnation. Tie your tie a little more off-centre and always keep a drink in your hand. Go straight for those hot bridesmaids.

Thanks boss - I'll give em hell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads