• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

timotune

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any opinion on this:

http://eu.suitsupply.com/suits/suit...&prefv1=Contemporary-Havana|Contemporary-Soho

I know that many SFites regard stripes as inherently "business", but are these vague dark grey (blue?) stripes on a lighter grey background subtle enough to make it suitable for more casual wear? Cut and texture seems very casual. (The apparent texture of the fabric may be exaggerated by the photo and lighting.)

if it fits you better than the model, go for it.

Celadon

Reaction score
^ I have no idea where I'd wear that suit. Both too casual & not casual enough, if you get my drift. Obv, answer depends on lifestyle, so it might work for others. But not one for me.

I don't actually want it. Like you, I was just confused by the seemingly contradictory design and styling.
if it fits you better than the model, go for it.

That Asian model usually looks good in the pictures, especially in double-breasted jackets and coats that flatter his diminutive waist. When even he can't pull this off, I probably couldn't. Or maybe it's the stylists who are to blame.

BenMurphy

Reaction score

The blue one looked great in the store. Fabric is a very nice hue and texture.

Also someone had mentioned those grey check pants- they appear to be more of a suit trouser than chino cut. Rise looked about the same (at a glance in the store. Didn't measure or anything).

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holdfast, went to SS to pick up my suit today (which is gorgeous!), and I checked for you, but they have not received the pink Soho yet.

Thanks for looking! If no-one else gets to see it by the time I get round to ordering, I'll probably just take a chance.

Which suit did you get?

As well as the pink one (if it's more grey than pink), I'm almost certain to get this one too. While I'd prefer it with cream instead of ochre stripes, I think it should still work well with fairly conservative/businessy outfits. Ideally, I'd like to sell the Loro Piana jacket in my sig first, though, as I'm trying to keep to a one-in/one-out policy. Might have to list something else up as well, if I don't get takers on the LP.

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for looking! If no-one else gets to see it by the time I get round to ordering, I'll probably just take a chance.

Which suit did you get?

As well as the pink one (if it's more grey than pink), I'm almost certain to get this one too. While I'd prefer it with cream instead of ochre stripes, I think it should still work well with fairly conservative/businessy outfits. Ideally, I'd like to sell the Loro Piana jacket in my sig first, though, as I'm trying to keep to a one-in/one-out policy. Might have to list something else up as well, if I don't get takers on the LP.
Oh man, you're selling that jacket? That's too bad, it was awesome. That DB suit is very nice, but I'd take a look at this one too: http://eu.suitsupply.com/suits/suit...gid=Suits&prefn1=fitID&prefv1=Double Breasted I saw it from up close and was pleasantly surprised by the fabric.

I got the beige DB vest lazio, the fabric is truly amazing, very nice and soft S130s. The fit was great too, and I like the added touch and warmth of the vest. It's certainly a late autumn/winter suit. I had the waist taken in a bit, and added cuffs on the trousers, it fits very well though. The lining is a dark red wine color, which goes very well with the suit. You really have to see it in person in order appreciate its awesomeness though, none of the pictures do it justice.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That Lazio does look awesome; you're right, their pics don't give you any idea of the detail of the fabric that your close-up pic reveals. I didn't find the Lazio a great fit for me, which is a shame because they always have some fantastic looking suits.

Did you try the blue Madison on? What's the fit like vs the Soho? I know we both find the Soho a good fit, so I reckon you'd have a good read on whether the Madison would work for me. I didn't like the look of the fabric in the website close-ups; a bit too "electric" blue. I guess it must look different in person. I could always order & if necessary, return it... hmm...

The LP is great, but a bit long for me and so is the obvious item to move on first. Shame, but there it is. If I had more wardrobe space, I'd keep it regardless.

Last edited:

emiristol

Reaction score

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
emailed SS customer service regarding the "wool blend" used for this suit:

http://us.suitsupply.com/suits/suit-grey-check-lazio-p3684i/P3684I,en_US,pd.html?start=6&cgid=Suits

and got this in reply:

The suit is composed of 80% wool and 20% polyamide. Polyamide (unlike polyester) is a fiber that can receive texture and therefore integrates well with the woolen fibers to support and reinforce them.

How bad is this?
Just don't get the suit.

@HF That really is a shame, seen as the lazio has some of the nicest fabrics this season. I can't wait until I receive my Meermin MTO austerity boots, as they'll be perfect for this suit, together with a cashmere tie. You know how some suits just make you feel good while you're wearing them? This is one of them.

I haven't tried on the Madison, but the salesperson was wearing it, and it looks very similar to the soho. It's not exactly electric blue in real life, but it is a special fabric, unlike anything i've ever seen before. I'm seriously considering getting it, and I already have way too many SS suits. It definitely stands out, so you have to like that, but then again, a pinstripe DB suit might stand out even more.

I think the blue madison might be a little more versatile than the pinstripe one, the fabric is more casual and it has patch pockets, so you can wear it for more occasions, but it's less suitable for conservative business dress. I have the soho blue plain myself, a fantastic color, which actually might be your best choice in terms of versatility, suitable for both business and leisure wear.

Btw, if you look at the campaign images and scroll down a bit, you'll see a very nice checked soho, which might be worth waiting for: http://eu.suitsupply.com/Fall-Winter-Overview/Fall_Winter_Campaign,en_GB,pg.html

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@HF That really is a shame, seen as the lazio has some of the nicest fabrics this season. I can't wait until I receive my Meermin MTO austerity boots, as they'll be perfect for this suit, together with a cashmere tie. You know how some suits just make you feel good while you're wearing them? This is one of them.

I haven't tried on the Madison, but the salesperson was wearing it, and it looks very similar to the soho. It's not exactly electric blue in real life, but it is a special fabric, unlike anything i've ever seen before. I'm seriously considering getting it, and I already have way too many SS suits. It definitely stands out, so you have to like that, but then again, a pinstripe DB suit might stand out even more.

I think the blue madison might be a little more versatile than the pinstripe one, the fabric is more casual and it has patch pockets, so you can wear it for more occasions, but it's less suitable for conservative business dress. I have the soho blue plain myself, a fantastic color, which actually might be your best choice in terms of versatility, suitable for both business and leisure wear.

Btw, if you look at the campaign images and scroll down a bit, you'll see a very nice checked soho, which might be worth waiting for: http://eu.suitsupply.com/Fall-Winter-Overview/Fall_Winter_Campaign,en_GB,pg.html

Agreed on the Lazio fabrics; there are several suits I'd consider in that range if they fit me better. The chalkstripe DB is bold - bolder than the Madison, probably, as you say - but I want a bold suit in my wardrobe, and I'm considering selling the very bold dark grey POW DB I own as the lapels have always been a bit skimpy for me. The navy chalkstripe would neatly fill that niche in my wardrobe.

In terms of the one in the campaign, isn't that this one? I'm not really feeling it, to be honest. Something about the fabric weight/look/colour just feels a little off to me. Not sure what, exactly...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads