• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style Forum club tie

1Dgaf

Reaction score
Alexander,

Many websites sell clothes to readers. It helps cover overheads and the readers like to have something from the site.

Do you think having a style forum tie is too pretentious, or do you think that it's not appropriate for a men's style messageboard to sell things to raise cash?

Anyway, I think a little badge (I think Americans call them pins) would be better. Something discreet to stick on the lapel of a coat or jacket.

Dutch Master

Reaction score
I am intrigued by the response to this subject. I would propose something more unique......a handpainted logo in a to be determined signature color of Style Forum. In Como I work with the best in the business, when it comes to transferring original art onto silk. Also I have resources to make the tie as luxurious as anything in the market. I would be willing to source the tie and foot the bill. The membership would be able to buy the tie at a fraction above my cost. I am not interested in anything as traditional as the images posted, I pride myself in being a clothing artist not a DE-signer.

Celebrating clothing as Art,

Dutch Master.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dutch Master, bent U een Nederlander?
wink.gif
Which "mills" in Como do you work with? The associates of Hermes? I have commissioned on some occasions handwoven designs, but the price would be prohibitive.

Brian SD

Reaction score
(Alexander Kabbaz @ 26 Nov. 2004, 8:08) 3] Finally, referring back to the 'Where do you keep your collar stays' thread of a couple months back, how 'bout this: We could have bottle green Tupperware containers custom-made with grenadine colored rep-striped lids and individual sections for various length collar stays.
Can Chuck get us some collar stays in bottle green MOP?
biggrin.gif

How about transparent metal?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This is a brilliant idea. I would prefer a true club tie to a stripe.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many websites sell clothes to readers. It helps cover overheads and the readers like to have something from the site.

Do you think having a style forum tie is too pretentious, or do you think that it's not appropriate for a men's style messageboard to sell things to raise cash? - - - 1Dgaf

I love the way you offered only two options. It is not pretentious. It is, in my opinion, simply absurd. Why?

1] You've got all the makers and designers drooling over upon whom the SF endorsement will be bestowed. Read their replies. They are literally drooling. (Except Chuck - but he's away on vacation. Give him a chance. There's no drool like a texas drawl.)
2] The epitomy of style (isn't that the name of this Forum?) is the individual panache of the wearer. We penguinize enough in tuxedos. Now we're all going shopping in the same tie?
3] Unless I am mistaken, the only person on this forum besides the moderator who is using his real name is me. What a dichotomy. Everyone wants to be anonymous ... but wear the same tie? I understand that various of the university alumni clubs offer 'club garb' - but the members are there under their real names, not Heywood Jablome and Ophelia Tietzes.
4] Perhaps we can use this Forum for advice and consultation ... even sympathy and empathy. But why don't we leave the Secret Handshake to the Boy Scouts? It seems better suited to their age group.

Insofar as contributing money to the operating costs of the Style Forum and AskAndy, quite a few of us made exactly that offer a long time ago. Both Andy and J said that they would take us up on it if and when necessary. The offer stands.

As regards the readers liking to buy something from the site, that's a fine idea. Perhaps Steve and/or J would like to come up with some Style Forum merchandise. I'd vote for a nice alligator portfolio and perhaps a matching key fob. Maybe a binder, a nice pearl or metal shoehorn, etc. But something I'm going to actually wear? That, I thought, is the purpose of the discussion, not of the website.

9_Ball_Slim

Reaction score
I like the tie idea...I think I would personaly prefer forum cufflinks, but I would be happy to support either idea.

1Dgaf

Reaction score
I thought about offering more than two options, but kept it simple. If you replied, you'd be likely to offer your own reason if I hadn't listed it. I hadn't realised that makers and designers were drooling over the endorsement. I hadn't concieved that Styleforum would be that important to them; perhaps I have underestimated its power. I don't think everyone would go shopping in the same tie. Also, there seem to be relatively few manufacturers discussed here (often same names repeated again and again), so by dint it feels like some individuality would be lost by people on this forum. Perhaps even panache can't stop someone being of a type. People do like to be anonymous, but likewise we enjoy recognising other people with the same tastes as us, especially if those tastes aren't particularly mainstream. Real life and life on the internet are separate things and one doesn't necessarily want to combine them wholly. However some intermingling can be interesting. I see nothing wrong with this. ANyway, I don't think anyone would buy the tie if it wasn't suitable for them. That would be bloody stupid. Is it a secret handshake or is it just a friendly nod? I'd like to think of it as the latter. I wrote something tangentially related to this topic, about spotting gamers . It can be seen here: http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/index....splay&sid=1065 I haven't been around long enough to know J was offered cash to help with hosting etc. I like your suggestions, Styleforum keyfobs and portfolios could be recognised like a Styleforum tie. COuldn't they also be used like a tie to form an outfit?

stuarts8

Reaction score
I like the tie idea...I think I would personaly prefer forum cufflinks, but I would be happy to support either idea.
I agree with Ball_slim.I would prefer cufflinks but a tie would do.
Cheers
Stuarts8

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a tie retailer with access to a few suppliers who in turn have access to a few mills themselves I would like to weigh in here. As such, I will offer no personal opinions to the idea of either yea or nay. (No drool from me Mr. Kabaaz.) Â Having read Mr. Kabaaz's responses I am still not sure as to the fairness or the need for jabbing at the tie makers on the board. Â Until Mr. Dutch mentioned he was one I was unaware of any others on this forum than myself and Chuck. Â Despite my having seen the first post go up when it did (I was working on Thanksgiving day and regardless my working isnt the only time I am log on here) I havent yet responded to the post until now and I dont think that its fair to state that Chuck's silence is solely due to his not being here and when he gets back he will drool like the rest of them in his Texas way. Mr. Kabaaz, you are welcome to offer your opinion as we are all, however if you dont like the idea there is no need to disparage those that do like it or the tie retailers on the forum. As I stated above I will not offer any opinions however if this does happen I respectfully defer to Chuck as the senior tie maker on board to pick up the production if he so desires, as I view myself as a Johny Come Lately as compared to Chuck on this forum. EDIT: J has repeatedly stated where people can contribute to maintain the upkeep of the site "Paypal" [email protected] ADDT'L EDIT: Not having ones real name as their Username here isnt synonymous with a wish for anonymity. To the contrary in many cases its more of an identity and in your case your name represents your undeniable expertise. In other cases the use of a screen name allows for a freer discussion of feelings and thoughts amongst otherwise virtual strangers.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having read Mr. Kabaaz's responses I am still not sure as to the fairness or the need for jabbing at the tie makers on the board.
Mr. Kabaaz, you are welcome to offer your opinion as we are all, however if you dont like the idea there is no need to disparage those that do like it or the tie retailers on the forum.
FIHTies - That is neither jab nor disparagement. That's just a giggle. As a tie maker of many years, I would never disparage a tie maker. Hopefully, my thoughts on custom shirts might be given a bit more weight than those of a non-shirtmaker. However, my opinion on the purpose of a Forum and the tie idea being absurd is worth every cent you're paying for it. Lighten up already. Giggle with me if you think it absurd or giggle at me if you think I'm nuts - but at least enjoy a good giggle. Anyway, don't worry, Chuck'll whup my butt for these remarks as soon as he returns. And thanks for the info about contributions. I never saw it before.

I hadn't realised that makers and designers were drooling over the endorsement. I hadn't concieved that Styleforum would be that important to them; perhaps I have underestimated its power.
1Dgaf - Think about it in context. There are some 1300 members if memory serves. An extremely unique group of gents in that we are not only extremely interested in fine clothing, but so interested that we take the time to read, question, and opine. AskAndy aside, there probably isn't so strong a force in the top-end clothing field anywhere else in the world. Hence, though an endorsement may seem trivial to those who journey here daily, with proper marketing and PR it could become immensely important to an upscale wholesaler or maker.

Now ... if it becomes cufflinks ... that's something I could get into. Where do I send my bid? droooool.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as cufflinks go, I'd like to see a silver link with a red stone/ off-white mother-of-pearl motif, either in a 3X3 checkerboard pattern, OR as something like one of the links below:
sflinks01.jpg
(Naturlaut, let me know if you can see the image at this link...) I don't really have a tie preference, except to note that Chuck is already doing a bottle green tie in his next CF line, as well as polka-dots (whoo.). I would suggest a red-and-silver basketweave, but that's not really very 'clubby'. I wouldn't object to an SF pocket square, either. I'm picturing a charcoal silk square, with a red and silver large paisley design in the center, and a red edge. Maybe 'Style Forum' in red script on one corner, like the Turnbull & Asser squares. And I can't think of anything that'd kill a mood quicker than having to explain to someone why I have 'Style Forum' printed on my underwear. "Well, see, there are these guys on the Internet..."
biggrin.gif
I wonder if Converse could do a limited run of SF sneakers? Or if PDC could take the ICN Clone out of retirement and make a few pairs with red stitching? EDIT: Clearly a large dose of sarcasm flew right over my head. Whoops. Anyways, I stand by my suggestions. Absurdly cost-prohibitive? A few probably are, but it's good to get the ideas out there.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Hmmm... if Cufflinks are a possibility, I would like to place my entire body weight on that side of the scales.

Kaga

Reaction score
Hmmm... if Cufflinks are a possibility, I would like to place my entire body weight on that side of the scales.
Why not a pocket square. Affordable, subtle, and only _we_ would know of our cabalistic membership, once it is rolled and stuffed in the pocket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads